ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: colors for tv  (Read 1000 times)

ed sciulli

colors for tv
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:06:35 pm »

We recently started using an IMAG system in our church, and my projected colors do not match the live colors on the stage. I'm specifically talking about my cyc colors.

So can anyone tell me which gels of primary colors are truest when projected, assuming that the cameras are calibrated correctly? I had been using colors that I had lying around, but I need to buy some new color due to burn-out and I'd like to get better color match between live and projected.

thanks.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: colors for tv
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2007, 05:24:36 pm »

This is usually not just a gel issue per se (although faded gels should be replaced anyway.)

There is no such thing as a "true color". Ask Einstein if don't believe me!

You camera color calibration, and the color temperature of the source of light (both the lamp source and gel color) are the variables. Getting the "faces" correct is usually the most important.

You will sometimes have competing goals:

1. Correct for faces (most important)
2. Correct for everything else.

"correction" can be accomplished in a number of ways - but always remember that at least three elements are always in play:

(you change one and everything looks different!)

1. The color temperature of the light source (usually dependant upon lamp choice and the percentage of dimming (dimmed incandescents shift towards Red)
2. The color balance of the camera. (By adjustment in the camera (like "white balance") or by filters in front of the lens.)
3. Gel choice - as you know there are gels for "color" and gels meant to change the apparent color temperature of the light source.

In an ideal world - every lamp you use would be at the exact same color temperature.

You would make sure that faces had lights of a color temperature the precisely matches camera setting so that no odd color shifts are apparent.

MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 19 queries.