ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Anteater  (Read 8691 times)

Dave Barnett

Re: Anteater
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007, 01:02:30 PM »

John Martin wrote on Fri, 05 October 2007 04:04

One of the lighting crew told me! lol.

Okay, that means the answer is going to be retarded.

Chris Davis

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007, 07:13:27 PM »

Jon Martin wrote on Thu, 04 October 2007 21:36

Anyone know how these animals pertain to subs?  Razz

It's delayed from the mouth to the throat? Confused

A Man

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007, 11:43:55 PM »

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/MulishaSympathizer/01.jpg
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/MulishaSympathizer/02.jpg

HUH...1621 page views as of this post and no one knows the answer?  Laughing

I know there are people who know the answer but are not at liberty to divulge such info.

Just checking to see if there is anyone outside of that group of people who know WTF I'm talking about.   Twisted Evil

(Babcock, you are disqualified from answering this post since I told you the answer already!)

Langston Holland

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2007, 12:54:24 AM »

Jon wrote on Thu, 04 October 2007:

Anyone know how these animals pertain to subs?

They're front-loaded, and ever since the TH115 was released anything front-loaded got put on the endangered species list! :)
God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

A Man

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2007, 01:16:27 AM »

Nope...I checked and it's not on the list.

http://www.fws.gov/endangered/wildlife.html

What I'm talking about isn't going on the endangered list any time soon. (quite the contrary, numerous large scale tours are friendly with this animal..)

And they are (to an extent) front loaded too... Cool

Mitch Grant

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2007, 12:27:12 PM »

Well, there is this:

This is a report of experiments which provide evidence in support of the existence of an electric sense in the echidna, or spiny anteater Tachyglossus aculeatus. It is the first known example of electroreception in a terrestrial animal. 2. In each of four animals anaesthetized with alpha-chloralose, afferent responses were recorded in dissected filaments of the infraorbital branch of the trigeminal nerve which supplies skin of the upper jaw. Recordings were obtained from a total of forty-seven units identified as electroreceptors, by their responses to weak voltage pulses using focal stimulation of the moist skin surface. 3. In the absence of a stimulus, some receptors had an irregular resting discharge; others were silent. The receptive field for each receptor consisted of a discrete spot. Receptive fields were restricted to the tip of the snout. Cathodal stimulation over the receptive spot was excitatory for the duration of an applied voltage pulse. Reversal of stimulus polarity silenced any on-going activity and was followed by a post-anodal rebound excitation. 4. Receptor threshold was best measured not in air but with the snout immersed in tap water. An electric field was applied between a pair of large plate electrodes on either side of the snout. Threshold for thirty receptors lay in the range 1.8-73 mV cm-1. Measurements of response latency and of conduction path length gave estimates of axonal conduction velocities for the afferent fibres of 10-18 m Receptors responded to sinusoidally changing voltage gradients over the range 0.5-200 Hz with a maximum sensitivity at 20 Hz. 5. In one experiment a receptor site was marked with fine pins. Serial sections of the piece of underlying skin revealed a large mucus-secreting gland at the marked spot. Similar glands in skin of the platypus have previously been shown to be the sites of electroreceptors. 6. In a behavioural experiment an echidna was trained to choose between two identical tap water-filled troughs, one of which had a weak electric field across it. The animal learned to detect field strengths down to 1.8 mV cm-1 which corresponded to threshold for the most sensitive receptor measured in a subsequent electro-physiological experiment. It is concluded that the echidna, like the other Australian representative of the monotremes, the platypus, has an electric sense. It remains to be determined what kinds of sources of electric fields the animal encounters in its normal habitat.

Evan Stier

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2007, 12:29:14 PM »

A visiting engineer we had on our rig a few times last weekend started explaining this concept to me. It went a little over my head, but I get the basic concept.

It seems like the concept of aardvarking takes quite a bit of DSP power to pull off. Please correct me if i'm wrong. I dont know if I should even bother trying to explain it, since my understanding of it is so poor.

I will say its a very interesting way to reduce the power alley effect, and provide smoother sub coverage throughout the room, with fewer nasty nodes and dead spots.

John Martin

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2007, 02:03:14 PM »

Right! I've just ordered my new 4 x Anteater subs Laughing hope they don't suck!
I'm a born again Oliver Reed with the breath of Boris Yeltsin.

I used to be a stable boy now I'm a very unstable man.

Alex Schultz

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2007, 07:00:48 PM »

Ok Jon,

What is this anteater/aardvark connection?

I guess, based in Evan S.'s post of hearing an explanation, that it involves creative waveform-shaping using delay.

Besta Daze
Never underestimate the danger of stupid people in powerful positions.

Knowledge is the information acquired while searching for an answer, not the answer itself.

Alex S

Justice C. Bigler

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2007, 07:36:05 PM »

Well, give us the damn answer already!

Or are you under an NDA also?
-Justice C. Bigler
House Sound Tech
Tulsa Performing Arts Center

IATSE Local 354
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 15 queries.