ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixer output vs. Transport Capability  (Read 2077 times)

Ryan Montgomery

Mixer output vs. Transport Capability
« on: September 25, 2007, 01:53:38 AM »

Hi all. I'm glad I came accross this forum.

I am planning on using a Biamp 801i mixer, connecting to the balanced output (with a max output of +24dB) to a full range (20hz-20khz) fiber optic transmitter and transmit audio to a fiber optic receiver.

Connected to the output of the fiber optic receiver will be a Rane RPL 26z processor, and from there, 4 QSC PL380 Power amps. These amps have sensitivity selections of +26, +32 and 1.2 volts.

Here's my question: The fiber optic system has a max rating of +10db input/output. Should I limit the total output of the Biamp mixer to 10db, then "boost" the incoming signal with the Rane in order to acheive close to the proper output to the amps?

Thanks!

Brad Weber

Re: Mixer output vs. Transport Capability
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »

It seems that you would potentially need to limit the Biamp mixer output significantly to match the +10dBu maximum input for the transmitter.  You may want to consider simply padding down the mixer output instead of using limiting.  On the other end, the Rane RPM26z has a maximum input level of +24dBu and 16dB of gain available on the inputs, so you might be able to make up much of the gain there, but you will also be amplifying any noise in the system at that point.

I have seen fiber transceivers with maximum +10dBu I/O levels that claim to be for broadcast and recording applications, but that makes little sense to me when the related audio signals have defined nominal levels of +4 to +8dBu, thus not leaving much headroom at all.  There are fiber transmitters and receivers available that offer +18 to +24dBu maximum audio input and output levels.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Ryan Montgomery

Re: Mixer output vs. Transport Capability
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 12:36:33 AM »

Thanks for the info. I was able to find a 20-20k unit that will handle +24db, which is the max output of the Biamp mixer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.