ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless camcorder/audio question...  (Read 7352 times)

JOSEPH DIXON

Wireless camcorder/audio question...
« on: February 23, 2011, 11:40:42 PM »

OK, I'd like to know if something like this exists. Here's what I want to do. I want to be able to send a main mix out of the console and into my camcorder without the cable. Is there some sort of wireless device I can get that would do this?

I would think there's gotta be a little "box" with two inputs and some sort of level control. You know, you come out of the console right and left and into the "little box". You push record on the camcorder, or the "box" (or both at the same time? I don't know...), and the wireless audio goes into the camcorder just is if you were using a cable.

I do not want to have to come home and dump audio into my computer, sync it up somehow, and then get the audio back into the camcorder. I'm not very "computery" and this would be a big deal for me. That's why I'm hoping there's a simple "little box" solution. I just wanna come home from my show and have my wife (no, I don't know how to do it) easily be able to put the video up on Youtube.

See, I provide the sound for a very popular live band karaoke contest. This is one of the recent videos (since I've been asked to take over providing the sound) that's been put on Youtube. I just want to get better sound quality. Oh, the mic in the video is my Line 6 XD-V70.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOHZS0ePWak&feature=player_embedded#at=11

So, does this "little box" exist? If so, what's the price, make and model?

Thank everybody!

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany
Re: Wireless camcorder/audio question...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:51:52 AM »

That should be easy to do:
Just take a wireless InEar Monitor system.

Something like a Shure PSM900 or Sennheiser IEM300.
Stereo Output into the transmitter, receiver out into camera: done!

I have stumpled across a consumer type wireless audio thingy some time ago, but can´t remember what brand that was...
I do recall that there were issues with latency which means your video and audio are not in sync.

Marcus
The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

Steve Hurt

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:17:26 AM »

You need a wireless receiver unless the camera doesn't move.

Search on wireless receiver.
Here is a link:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Wireless-Receivers/ci/15421/N/4291086002

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »

+1 on using cables.

However if you must use wireless, and you are in the "serious player" league, rather than just "happy snaps" then the Zaxcom rigs are the shit.

http://zaxcom.com/stereo_wireless.htm

HTH

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 03:33:34 PM »

What the OP is talking about is commonly known as a "camera hop" system. It can be done in a variety of ways with a variety of products. In the pro videography & filmmaking worlds, Lectrosonics & Zaxcom are the brands you most often see for this purpose. Other products can of course be used, as mentioned above with the Sennheiser and Shure IEM receivers as an example for the camera end.

Transmitters can be anything from plug-on types to belt packs to single dedicated stereo or multi-channel units.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 12:41:28 AM »

I posted this Question on the old forum,

I am a little confused, The "Receiver" is Attached to the camera, OK.

The "Transmitter" Is attached to the Mixer??

I use a setup similar to that, and my understanding is that the Transmitter is designed to receive a "Mic" Signal (1/10 Volt). Is not the output of the board "Line" Level (1 Volt)?

The units I use, I just plug a Mic (SM-58) into Transmitter, And the Transmitter sends a signal to the receiver attached to the Camera.

I have never tried to hook the Transmitter to the Mixer, This would be Great, I just did not to want to Fry anything.

Regards, John

Karl Winkler

• Lectrosonics
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:40:37 AM »

I posted this Question on the old forum,

I am a little confused, The "Receiver" is Attached to the camera, OK.

The "Transmitter" Is attached to the Mixer??

Yes. Output/s from the mixer would be connected to the transmitter/s.

I use a setup similar to that, and my understanding is that the Transmitter is designed to receive a "Mic" Signal (1/10 Volt). Is not the output of the board "Line" Level (1 Volt)?

The right way is to use the correct cable for line level input to your transmitter. In some cases, with transmitters that only have mic level inputs, an attenuated cable is necessary. Some transmitters have specific line-level input pins on their connectors. Some have DIP switches allowing you to select line level input. IEM transmitters, for instance, are made to accept line level inputs.

The units I use, I just plug a Mic (SM-58) into Transmitter, And the Transmitter sends a signal to the receiver attached to the Camera.

I have never tried to hook the Transmitter to the Mixer, This would be Great, I just did not to want to Fry anything.

Regards, John

You won't fry anything, but a line level signal into a mic level input will certainly overload the input.
In theory, theory and practice should be the same. In practice, they are not.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »

Yes. Output/s from the mixer would be connected to the transmitter/s.

The right way is to use the correct cable for line level input to your transmitter. In some cases, with transmitters that only have mic level inputs, an attenuated cable is necessary. Some transmitters have specific line-level input pins on their connectors. Some have DIP switches allowing you to select line level input. IEM transmitters, for instance, are made to accept line level inputs.

You won't fry anything, but a line level signal into a mic level input will certainly overload the input.

Thanks Karl,

I am going to try that my next show.

I will come out of one of the Auxs to the Transmitter.

I have been using the Azden "V" Mounts on the Camera and the Azden transmitters with the mics, Not as good as wired but not bad.

Regards,  John
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 02:46:38 AM by John Livings »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 04:45:48 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.