ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Really basic starter knowledge please  (Read 3057 times)

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
Re: Really basic starter knowledge please
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2007, 02:28:55 pm »

DMX is DMX is DMX. The console will output (at most) 512 bytes of data, it is up to the lights to figure out what that data means. The difference between "intelligent channels" and "dimmer channels" is soley related to the features the board offers towards making ingelligent lights easier to keep track of.

Over and over again, I have demonstrated to startled students how easy it is to run intelligent lights with a Strand GSX. My favorite demonstration is running an Elation Powerspot 250 using a Scene Setter 8.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Donnie Evans

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 03:51:39 pm »

E. Lee Dickinson wrote on Mon, 10 September 2007 19:28

Over and over again, I have demonstrated to startled students how easy it is to run intelligent lights with a Strand GSX. My favorite demonstration is running an Elation Powerspot 250 using a Scene Setter 8.

Yeah I am a complete newbie to lighting and I've found that the DMX format is relatively simple.  I always wondered why people said that you can't control IL's with a standard dimming console.  All you're doing with either console is ranging between 0 and 255 on each channel.  I simply said that in my reply earlier because it is much easier to control a show of IL's with an IL friendly console.
Shump In Da Tub!  www.ogeecheeriverband.com

Kevin Ballard

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2007, 06:08:29 am »

Agreed intels off a stimple controller but the OP is a self confessed novice. It is difficult to demonstrate on line how to use a simple fader only controller for intels and most (not all) would vote for a controller capable of taking the deep thought out of programming for the sake of a few more pounds (Euros, dollars).

edited for clarity.
Kevin Ballard

Yes the Toilets are over there!

E. Lee Dickinson

• http://www.leedickinson.com
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 09:31:01 am »

I disagree, to an extent. When you are buying a controller, yes, buy the best and easiest-to-use tool for the job. But if you've got a simple 2 scene preset desk sitting around, I always suggest hooking that up first, setting the wiggle to DMX1, and gaining an understanding of DMX values, starting addresses, and fixture numbering.
E. Lee Dickinson
Advanced Visual Production Inc.
sound - lighting - video - design
www.avpric.com

Donnie Evans

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 11:29:22 am »

E. Lee Dickinson wrote on Tue, 11 September 2007 14:31

... gaining an understanding of DMX values, starting addresses, and fixture numbering.

That's the only thing I dislike about my controller.  No fixture library, every IL "fixture channel" is assigned 16 DMX channels.  The IL's I'm getting only use 8, so I've got 64 wasted channels of DMX.  I could use those channels if I really needed to, but it would be a PITA.

Rob Blohm

« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2007, 11:38:12 am »

E. Lee Dickinson wrote on Tue, 11 September 2007 08:31

I disagree, to an extent. When you are buying a controller, yes, buy the best and easiest-to-use tool for the job. But if you've got a simple 2 scene preset desk sitting around, I always suggest hooking that up first, setting the wiggle to DMX1, and gaining an understanding of DMX values, starting addresses, and fixture numbering.

I'll second that. Whenever I use a new intelligent fixture I try it out on a "dimming" console first, just to see what it's supposed to do, and what it's doing wrong. It may not be necessary for people experienced in the business, but it would certainly be a huge help for any novice. Skipping straight to using an intel console, this is how people wind up thinking you can't control intels from a conventional console.

And quite honestly I don't find it all that challenging to program intels using a conventional board. There are even some advantages. For one show I programmed the scanners color wheel and gobo wheel onto presets, and then just made a bunch of presets for mirror positions and some for specific colors. This way you can run a show without having to pre-program everything...which is kind of hard to do when you're doing a one off and don't know the music.

Kevin Ballard

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2007, 12:34:23 pm »

You are right, and I didn't say otherwise.

but please read the OP. It was obviose that even the sequence of connection was an unknown. I had that context in mind with my reply, but it is good that your point is here should others search in the future.

Kevin Ballard

Yes the Toilets are over there!

Dave Potter

• http://www.dave thebass.com
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 07:00:11 am »

Quote:

and generally look out for Nobb heads...

English is the best language in the world  Razz

Thanks for all your help guys.
"When he wakes up, think of something cool.  Tell him I said it" ( Buffy)

www.davethebass.com
www.myspace.com/theswatbanduk

Donnie Evans

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 08:23:51 am »

Dave Potter wrote on Thu, 13 September 2007 12:00

Quote:

and generally look out for Nobb heads...

English is the best language in the world  Razz

unless its the uhh....  other English.   Very Happy
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 21 queries.