ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Your favorite music - Country or Western  (Read 7686 times)

Rick Stansby

Your favorite music - Country or Western
« on: September 02, 2007, 02:15:41 PM »

I am turning into a country music fan.  I've had some Johnny Cash for years, along with some Americana, but recently I've been buying a lot more.  The "country gone metal" thread left me wondering what everybody else listens to. Rather than hijack that thread I decided to start a new one to see what everybody else likes.

To start here are a few of my favorites:
Cherry Bombs "Notorious Cherry Bombs" This rockin' country band features Rodney Crowell and Vince Gill.  Some people say that Rodney Crowell is Americana.  I'm not refined enough to know where that line is. Smile

Hank 3 "Straight to Hell"  This is Hank Williams grandson.  The music on the album has "cryin' in your beer country, like Hank senior, and more rockin' stuff too.  Hank 3 plays good country and has a good sense of humor about it.  At shows he plays a set of thrash metal, as the band Assjack, as well as a set of country (from what I've heard)

What "Country music" are you listening to?
Rick

Langston Holland

Re: Your favorite music - Country or Western
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 02:54:24 PM »

God bless you and your precious family - Langston

Soundscapes <><

Dave Barnett

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 06:42:38 PM »

Trace Adkins is the devil incarnate.  One artist who embodies almost everything that is wrong with the genre.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 07:26:15 PM »

If I have to listen to Country, I listen to Gram Parsons or the old "Outlaws" stuff (Waylon, Willie, Kris, Cash).

If I have to listen to Western, I listen to Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys, or Asleep At The Wheel.

See, even the punk kid from Jersey knows there's a difference.

I have as much use for the manufactured pop-country coming out of Nashville as I have for NASCAR, which is to say: none.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 07:29:14 PM »

I'm not sure what is "Americana" and what is "Alt country", but I listen to a lot of this stuff.

The Flatlanders, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, The Bottle Rockets, Uncle Tupelo, Bill Malonee and the Vigilantes of Love, pretty much anything on Bloodshot Records.  There is tons of this stuff.  I've also been into old hippie country weirdness like The Flying Burrito Brothers.

I don't know if anyone out there has XM, but I have been lucky to do sound for Robbie Fulks Secret Country radio show at the Old Town School many times.  He has many new country as well as lesser known classic country guys on the show, does an interview segment, then each of the two artists featured do a set.  Fulks himself is an awesome anti-Nashville musician.

-d
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Dave Barnett

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 09:00:41 PM »

Two words:

The

Gourds

Tim Padrick

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 10:04:39 PM »

Western Swing please - it's the bee's knees.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 10:24:50 PM »

XM-12.

Hey, the thread title reminded me of a line from the Blues Brothers movie.  Very Happy
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Bob Leonard

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 11:48:13 PM »

Mike Butler (media) wrote on Sun, 02 September 2007 22:24

XM-12.

Hey, the thread title reminded me of a line from the Blues Brothers movie.  Very Happy

I like country and western. We do them both. Laughing
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 12:00:30 AM »

Well my favorite of the two would be "Mid Western"  ala John Cougar Mellencamp.  If I could only listen to one artist's music for the rest of my life it would be his music.

I also really like Alabama, they are absolutely the best country band ever in my opinion.

But to this day my favorite band of all time is still True Sounds Of Liberty.  I'll bet Andy would like to listen to some of that.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.