ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: point source help  (Read 1810 times)

bass

point source help
« on: January 02, 2005, 08:53:03 PM »

I have read research about the point source setup. I know you need I high ceiling at lest 24 feet. My problem is the down lode problem. How can I avoid that problem? Also with a LR setup you will have a overlap in coverage the will cause some type of cancellations no matter how you look at it. Any comments?

check allchurchsound.com and read their article on speaker placement.

Tom Young

Re: point source help
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 08:07:06 AM »

The folks at AllChurchsound tend to oversimplify things.

Yes, split mono and/or L&R ldspkr systems can produce combfiltering.  A LCR (left, center, right) system can reduce combfiltering. A "point source" system may not be the most appropriate design for many churches.

Downlobes may be reduced by selection of specific crossover slopes, gain adjustment, delay and/or physical adjustment.

For those folks who are aware of these choices (and their compromises) or who just simply want to have the best possible sound, it is impossible to recommend the most appropriate methods without thorough programming and design development. You should contract with a qualified consultant who has experience (and references) in sound reinforcement system and acoustic design for HOW. This consultant should be very well trained in sound system measurement and optimization, as this is a very important part of the process.  

BTW - as long as you are reading speaker system design technical references, take a look at the papers on JBL's website, on Frazier's website (www.frazierspeakers.com), read Jim Brown's papers on stereo speaker systems (www.audiosystemsgroup.com) and google on relevant words.  These may enlighten you or possibly confuse you.... but they will also point out that things are not as simple as some folks think they are.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

bass

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 09:31:53 AM »

I really appreciate that information. I would like to get my hands on EASE or any other software but I don't have the budget.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 09:31:53 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 21 queries.