ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Isolating flown subs  (Read 2641 times)

Robert Sims

Isolating flown subs
« on: August 30, 2007, 01:03:29 AM »

Would like to get tips on isolating fixed installed flown subs from the building structure. I've had recent issue when fastening to the building's red steel and flying via cable. It transmits a lot through to the steel.
Sort of fun to turn several thousand square feet into a vibrating mass. Not sure the admin side of the building cares for it.  Rolling Eyes

Single cabinet dual 18's.
Robert Sims

Tom Young

Re: Isolating flown subs
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 06:53:01 AM »

Mason Industries makes various acoustic/mechanical (vibration) isolation hardware. I do not know if they make anything for overhead suspension, but they may.

http://www.mason-ind.com/HTML/index.html
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Rob Timmerman

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:36:18 AM »

There are vibration-isolation mounts designed for HVAC units available that will probably work for your application.  A variety of manufacturers make them; Google yields quite a few hits.

http://www.google.com/search?q=hvac+vibration+isolation& hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:officia l&hs=jHQ&start=10&sa=N

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:42:18 AM »

Now that I think about, I don't know if it is approved for the type of overhead this is or not, but I know some past contractors I have worked with have used this stuff from Mason, and it has worked very well.

You will probably need to get a structural to stamp off on it.

http://209.200.80.33/html/h610v8.pdf

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

Brad Weber

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 07:42:28 PM »

Considering that these type of isolators are intended for supporting piping and overhead mechanical equipment (inline blowers and pumps, ductwork, fan coils, VAV boxes, etc.) and suspended ceilings in acoustically critical applications, I'm guessing they would be appropriate.  Kinetics Noise Control and The VMC Group (which includes Vibration Mounting and Controls and Amber/Booth) are some other manufacturers.  I have always gotten good support from these firms, I'm sure they can help you select the proper models.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 10:53:52 PM »

I'm going to play devil's advocate and say that if your subwoofers are moving a lot of air, then no amount of rigging support isolation will work. The air itself moves the floor above.

For max isolation, you'll need both mechanical rigging isolation and a room-within-a-room type of acoustic isolation.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Robert Sims

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:58:01 AM »

Tom,
Thanks for the link. I like the neoprene hangers HMIB. I think I'll use that in conjunction with some neoprene at linkage points. The HVAC guys love to hang their duct off the same structures. Their registers start vibrating like a wash board some times. This should help isolate some of that.

Bink,
The latest application is a theater with all flown subs (orchestra pit). I'll be pushing a little harder than normal. On that path,  The proscenium is concrete block and I like to hang them backed up to the wall. That would put the drivers facing straight out. Not sure that matters. Consultant has (2 per side) SB750's filling in between LRC's. (LSSCSSR)

Thanks all.
Robert Sims

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.015 seconds with 21 queries.