ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: omhs in speakers for a gigrac  (Read 1964 times)

paco bech

omhs in speakers for a gigrac
« on: August 27, 2007, 08:58:00 AM »

Hello to everyone, I am getting a gigrac 600 which has 300x300 at 4 omhs. Does this means I need to get speakers working at 4 omhs? I see most of the expensive speakers has 8 omhs. What´s the difference? Can I use a 300x300 4 omhs with 8 omhs speakers?
if most of the good speakers are 8 omhs. Does this means the gigrac 600 and other similar products working at 4 omhs are actually crap?

I was going to buy peavey pro 12 they work at 4 omhs, I am rading now these are not too good, what would be another option?

thanks very much for your help

Don Boomer

Re: omhs in speakers for a gigrac
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:13:39 AM »

It means that you shouldn't use speakers rated lower than 4 ohm (total load to each amp).  You will generally expect that cabinets with a single woofer to be 8 ohms and cabs with dual woofers to be 4 ohms.

It's fine to use 8 ohm speakers ... but here's the scarry part ... your output will cut in half, probably maxing out to about 175W per amp.
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Brian Jojade

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 01:36:37 PM »

Yes, you can use the 8 ohm speakers, but like was said you're only going to be driving about half of the rated power to the speaker.  If it gets loud enough for you with that power, then you're fine.  

You can also plug 2 speakers to each channel, which results in a 4 ohm load.  This would mean each speaker gets 150 watts, which is even less per speaker, but because you have more speakers, your overall volume will be greater.
---------------------------------------------
Brian Jojade
HappyMac Digital Electronics

http://www.happymacshop.com

---------------------------------------------

Troy Gwin

• http://www.acsweb.com
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 08:23:33 PM »

Or get the Gigrac 1000 and then you'll end up with about 250-300 watts at 8 ohms and 500 watts at 4 ohms per side.  The 1000 is really not much more than the 600 and is more versatile.
ACS Sound and Lighting
Sound - Lighting - Video - Staging
www.acsweb.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.