ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for opinions and help for touring light show...  (Read 1747 times)

Eddy Houk

Looking for opinions and help for touring light show...
« on: August 21, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »

I am typically an audio guy but I have moved into the lighting world. The group I work with travel about 200 days a year and we just purchased 6 Martin Mac 250+. I have been looking for an inexpensive controller that would be wasy to set up from day to day. I would like to be able to have a cue list and just touch up positions that the cues use and then in return when I fire a cue ot all looks right. I have looked at an etc smartfade ML. Any feedback on this. ANY help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Eddy

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
Re: Looking for opinions and help for touring light show...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 08:42:17 AM »

There's a ton of choices.  I don't know SmartFades, but I believe people who use them like them.  What's your budget?  I'm guessing it's not in the Hog/Avo/GrandMA range.  What about a pc based system?  And don't buy the "they crash all the time" argument.  I've used one for 7+ years and never had a failure at a show OR at home.  

Gabriel Duschinsky

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:43:49 PM »

len woelfel wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 08:42

What about a pc based system?  And don't buy the "they crash all the time" argument.  I've used one for 7+ years and never had a failure at a show OR at home.  

Yeah, I always recommend Martin LightJockey to control moving lights. It's portable enough, there are tons of features, even some that I've never needed. We have 14 MAC250+ and it does a fantastic job everytime.

Be aware though, the learning curve was actually quite steep for me in the beginning, and I am the kinda guy that can usually use a software whitout reading the instruction manual. Not this one...

I would stay away from the Enttec-DMX or something like that budget type of PC-Based controllers. They work, but I wouldn't expect the reliability of LightJockey, especially if you spend that much time on the road.

Good luck,

Gabriel.
Gabriel Duschinsky
FX Productions, Inc.

Rob Blohm

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »

Gabriel Duschinsky wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 17:43

Yeah, I always recommend Martin LightJockey to control moving lights. It's portable enough, there are tons of features, even some that I've never needed. We have 14 MAC250+ and it does a fantastic job everytime.

Be aware though, the learning curve was actually quite steep for me in the beginning, and I am the kinda guy that can usually use a software whitout reading the instruction manual. Not this one...

I'll second that, both the recommendation and the learning curve warning. I've taught myself how to use most software....but LJ was not quite so easy. The basic stuff doesn't take too long, but all the advanced features can be a little tough to figure out. Still, once you do know it all, I think you'd find that it can do everything you want it to do.

Although, it does seem a little slow at times. That may have just been the way I was going about achieving a certain effect, but there was noticeable lag.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 12:55:16 PM »

Gabriel Duschinsky wrote on Wed, 22 August 2007 15:43

I would stay away from the Enttec-DMX or something like that budget type of PC-Based controllers. They work, but I wouldn't expect the reliability of LightJockey, especially if you spend that much time on the road.

I have found that the reliability is 100% on the Enntec - Light Factory - provided you use the "Pro" USB-DMX box. (That one relies on the DMX device for timing).

Of course the PC itself is the critical piece that determines stability.

As for the learning curve; My observation is that it is much longer on the PC-based systems than on the dedicated consoles - but - the case could be made that you also gain greater flexibility.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

len woelfel

• http://www.party-chicago.com/rentals/rentals.html
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 05:40:43 PM »

Another vote for a pc based system.  I use LJ also.  The advantage of course, is that if the pc is dropped and shatters, all you have to do is buy another, and they're fairly available.  Try getting a Hog at the local Best Buy.  Of course, you did the smart thing and have a back up of the software and programming so all you'd do is re-install.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.