ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Best Rechargeable Batteries for Live Work  (Read 9218 times)

Ken Nelson

Best Rechargeable Batteries for Live Work
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:59:38 PM »

Did a search, could not find any threads on this.

I am tired of buying one use 9V batts for our IEM receivers. I am sure folks on here have a good deal of expertise on the subject from real world use, whether they've realized it or not.

What brand and type of rechargeable is best, ie recharges and giving good performance under use? Since the different in cost as far as I can tell is about $4 per, it doesn't make any sense to go with anything but the best, particularly for critical applications like monitoring.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
Re: Best Rechargeable Batteries for Live Work
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 06:00:05 PM »

Hi Ken,

I've used most of the rechargeables out there.

By far, the best are the IPower:
http://www.ipowerus.com/Products/DC9V500/DC9V500.htm
Plenty of power, and they have a slow self-discharge rate.

You have to use their charger with them.

Anybody know of a LiPo rechargeable in AA form?

Good health,  Weogo

William R. Conturo

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 06:50:28 PM »

I have used Energizer's and Duracell's AA rechargeable batteries and they both suck. my last generation of Energizers was like late 2009, when I switched to the Duras, and my last generation of Duras was like late 2010. In that year of Duras I think I went through maybe 4 batches 24 batteries :'( . The energizers where the same way. They may have updated design by now but they both sucked when I used them last. Now, I am using a battery by Sanyo called Eneloop and they are noticeably better, running the same batch since the beginning of December 2010 any haven't had one dead cell yet, I use em 3+times a week. I would normally start to see some dead cells right around now in the life of the others shown by them just simply not charging.  Also, the Energizers and Duras seemed to be real difficult in the cold climate, loosing charge quick and being more of a pain in the ass in the charger. The Eneloops are cheep and plenty juicy for all night wireless mic application and then some.

I am sure there are much better out there but I figured I'd give some input.
- Billy C

Ken Nelson

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »

By far, the best are the IPower:
http://www.ipowerus.com/Products/DC9V500/DC9V500.htm
Plenty of power, and they have a slow self-discharge rate...

Found a setup here, B&H also carries the individual batts and charger

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/501664-REG/iPower_FC9VX44K_FC_9VX44_Fast_Smart_9V.html

Any other place I should look at for supply?

Robert "VOiD" Caprio

• Long Island, NY
    • Interzone Studios
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 08:14:15 PM »

FOH/MON/REC/MIX Engineer/Producer/TM/RF Tech
Currently mixing MON for Boston
www.interzonestudios.com
void at interzonestudios dot com

Kevin Hoober

• Brandon, MS
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 10:38:15 PM »

Another vote for Eneloop AA's (w/ MAHA chargers) and iPower's 9Vs.

I also use Sanyo 2700 AA's in some of my higher drain devices (Lectrosonic HM's running 48V phantom) to get to 7.5 hrs of run time.  Everything else (UHF-R/KSM9 on high power, EW300iem G2/3) easily clears the prerequisite 7.5 hour run time with Eneloops.

Kevin H.

John Sulek

• Toronto Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2011, 11:38:00 PM »

Did a search, could not find any threads on this.

I am tired of buying one use 9V batts for our IEM receivers. I am sure folks on here have a good deal of expertise on the subject from real world use, whether they've realized it or not.

What brand and type of rechargeable is best, ie recharges and giving good performance under use? Since the different in cost as far as I can tell is about $4 per, it doesn't make any sense to go with anything but the best, particularly for critical applications like monitoring.

I have had great results with Powerex Nimh 9v batteries and a Maha 10up charger.
Last for three hours no problem.
Just have to be on top of changing them up as there is no warning before the voltage drops off the cliff.

Haven't tried the iPower yet.

Matti Jokinen

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 01:25:45 AM »

Sanyo Eneloop. Lots of power, slow self-discharge and reliable. Remember that you can have all the best batteries in the world but they are useless without a good charger.

Matti

Scott Raymond

• Nebraska
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 02:21:43 AM »

I have had great results with Powerex Nimh 9v batteries and a Maha 10up charger.
Last for three hours no problem.
Just have to be on top of changing them up as there is no warning before the voltage drops off the cliff.

Haven't tried the iPower yet.

We've also had pretty good luck with the Powerex with one exception.  We're using Shure ULXP mics and the handhelds work fine other than not being able to trust the battery meter.  However the belt packs  just aren't reliable with them.  We've put fully charged battery's in them and had them fail to transmit. So we don't use them in those.  I have no idea why they're different from the handhelds but they are.  These are the 9.6 V versions but the beltpacks seem to have an aversion to them.  The first batch has lasted about 1 1/2 years and at 14$ a battery they've really been a no-brainer compared to alkalines.  They have a 10 space charger and always used to put them on the charger and leave them till they got used.  Now we're just charging before use and we'll see if they last even longer that way.

Scott

Matt Marcus

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »

Second on the iPower. Maha's have only ever given me a few hours not ling enough for an evening tech rehearsal, while the iPowers go 6-7 hrs easy. (this is in 1st gen Senn 100 series lav Tx).

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 10:06:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.