ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adding a sub to my drum monitor  (Read 2563 times)

Bob Hulme

Adding a sub to my drum monitor
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:44:33 am »

Although it seems simple enough to me, I thought I'd see what you think.

I do 4 monitor mixes with 12x1 monitors and I thought I'd add a sub to the drum monitor. I power the monitors with 2 Crown XTi4000 amps for 650W each. Should I just use a passive sub crossover at 250Hz (the crossover I have is fixed at 250Hz) and run into the 12x1 and out to the sub or is there a better way without using another amp channel?

Thanks in advance,  Bob H
"I finally thought I had the rat race won, then along came faster rats"

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: Adding a sub to my drum monitor
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:28:48 pm »

If you don't already have the sub I'd suggest looking into a nice small (15" would be perfect) powered sub. Send it a separate mix too, if you have one available.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 12:39:28 pm »

If you're planning on just using the passive crossover in the sub and feeding through the 12/1 cab first, I'd be surprised if you're going to be able to provide enough power to really get the sub moving without it being more than the 12/1 can handle, or somehow otherwise be fairly mismatched in terms of the sensitivity and output of the top vs the sub.   That's also an awfully high crossover point, your sub will perform far better if you cross lower. If it were me I'd just bite the bullet and use another amp channel.

What boxes are these?

Bob Hulme

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:14:30 pm »

Thanks Milt, I had the answer staring me in the face all the time. I have a JBL EON powered sub I haven't used in years. I'll give it a try and see if it's enough. I just need a bit of kick for those loud stages. I wear earplugs but sometimes I can't hear the kick. I know, tell em to turn down. Already did that, no response. I think if I run into the sub from the aux and then out to the monitor amp I'd be using the crossover in the sub. Should work.

Funny how sometimes the simplest answer was there all along.

Jeff, After thinking about it a while 250Hz is pretty high for a sub and you're right it would probably take out the 12x1 trying to keep up. The cabs are Yamaha S12s or Se12s with Eminence drivers in them. They sound quite good and get loud enough.

Thanks for the help, Bob H
"I finally thought I had the rat race won, then along came faster rats"

Tim Padrick

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 02:36:43 am »

I this is for yourself: Instead of upping the monitor rig, go with IEMS.  Add a Buttkicker if you find you need the thump.  This will conserve your hearing, and with less racket on stage things will sound better in the house.  (Or just add a Buttkicker.)

Loren Aguey

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 06:45:03 pm »

Bob Hulme wrote on Wed, 08 August 2007 16:14

Jeff, After thinking about it a while 250Hz is pretty high for a sub and you're right it would probably take out the 12x1 trying to keep up.

I'm not exactly sure if you meant the high crossover point is a concern for the 12 inch, but if so just to clarify: That high crossover point is more a concern for the sub, as most prefer not to do anything over 100hz if possible. That would actually be lightening the load on the 12", but those can go down to a 100hz and a bit below no problem.
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

Jamin Lynch

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 08:02:51 pm »

Get a powered sub that will also run the monitor speaker. Just run an XLR to it from the mixer aux output. Simple...it has a built-in crossover.

Scott Smith

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007, 09:17:12 pm »

This may be a little "out there"...get one of these baby's and lay it down sideways.  I've had personal experience with the Mackie SA1232.  Very tight, accurate, and chest pounding bass, very strong mids / highs, and at 136db, it's very LOUD!  This speaker is leaps and bounds above the others, and is in a class by itself!
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 17 queries.