ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Anyone here of TVI Audio line arrays?  (Read 46280 times)

Brian Wynn

Re: Anyone here of TVI Audio line arrays?
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2008, 04:49:24 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Tue, 15 April 2008 14:05

As Steve alluded to, I don't see how hearing one box can give any sort of conclusion as to how this will work in a real line.  Particularly important is how well the boxes interact with each other, which we know nothing about.  I do know that breaking up at 105db at 1m sounds VERY wrong.  Certainly the specs suggest you should be capable of getting A LOT more than that.  One thing to note is there is a groundstacking option listed on their website.

Brian, I truly appreciate your efforts to put a review together for this (you were perhaps more positive given the results than I might have been!), but based on what you were given to work with it is impossible to make the conclusion that this will make a good line array without hearing it that way.  I'm not saying it's the case, but for all we know a full array of these boxes could sound no better than a bunch of decent trap boxes laid on their side stacked vertically.

I think the only thing that can be concluded from this review is regarding build quality and rigging hardware quality.  If I were buying a line array I would NEVER base my decision on hearing 1 element instead of an actual line, that's just nuts.  If TVI wants to get serious customers they need to let them hear a real full scale rig.  Then some accurate reviews can happen giving a fair evaluation of what the system is capable of in its intended environment.  If I were TVI and assuming I believed in my product, I would want to get some reviews happening asap.  Even if the reviews are not all positive it will help them to build a better product in the future.

I completely agree.  

I based my conclusion off of what was supplied to me from TVI.  Which was just one box.  I guess I didn't mention thatin my original post. oops  

Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
Sounds Cool Live Audio LLC
www.soundscoolliveaudio.com
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2008, 07:25:58 PM »

I'm sure there are a few professionals that wouldn't mind taking a TVi rig out for a few months to try it on for size and give some reviews in the forum.

Doesn't really hurt TVi at all and it helps them get a reputation (good or bad).

-Josh Billings

trace knight

• http://www.lalighting-sound.com
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2008, 07:52:29 PM »

I'll be glad to test drive a full rig on my next abusive hip hop tour, bring it on TVI

tk

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2008, 08:52:25 PM »

Festival season is close and Im a big bang for the buck guy... I'll gladly take a rig out for a few weeks and see what she can do. Smile

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2008, 10:14:33 PM »

If Peavey can send out a Versarray system for Road Test then I see no reason why TVI shouldn't be able to do the same.  Something like 6 or 8 boxes a side would be a good start, as evidenced here there would be no problem getting road testers lined up.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2008, 12:27:54 AM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Tue, 15 April 2008 21:14

If Peavey can send out a Versarray system for Road Test then I see no reason why TVI shouldn't be able to do the same.  Something like 6 or 8 boxes a side would be a good start, as evidenced here there would be no problem getting road testers lined up.

I was wondering if there was a conclusion to the Versarray road test.  I'd still like to drive a Versarray rig to see how that experience lines up with what I heard.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 00:27

I was wondering if there was a conclusion to the Versarray road test.  I'd still like to drive a Versarray rig to see how that experience lines up with what I heard.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim,
If I recall right it was a very brief road test, I think the rig had somewhere else to go which cut it short.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2008, 03:36:38 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 15:45

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 16 April 2008 00:27

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

Tim,
If I recall right it was a very brief road test, I think the rig had somewhere else to go which cut it short.

I guess I should go back and read the thread.  Somehow the brevity of the "road" part was overlooked.  Oh well, perhaps Peavey will send out the VR212 sometime.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
500w in 1939
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2008, 04:21:51 PM »

Mike {AB} Butler wrote on Wed, 02 April 2008 04:56

...And you're not giving JBL too much credit? There were sub-50 hz boxes from Altec, EV, and even RCA in that time period. Even Harry F. Olson's Accoustical Engineering shows sub- 50 Hz performance from cabinets, IIRC.
But to partly backup your claim, I do remember reading articles that give James Lansing credit for developing the first drivers that could handle more than the 30 minuscule watts that everyone else in the day was stopped at.
Regards,

A young Rudy Bozak hooked up a 27" cone (8" voice coil!) to a 500w high-power radio transmitter tube back in 1939. The magnet was an electromagnet that weighed 450 lbs. Actually there were 8 of these assemblies in a circle atop a tower at the 1939 World's Fair. Each driver was hooked to a horn with a 14' mouth; the monster drivers served as the LF section of a 2-way system. The top bandpass was probably another ring of Western Electric horns, but I'm not sure.

Don't know about its 50 Hz ability.

Probably not hi-fi; just efficient, powerful and LOUD.  Twisted Evil

-BinK
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

John Roberts {JR}

Re: 500w in 1939
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2008, 04:41:37 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Thu, 17 April 2008 15:21

A young Rudy Bozak hooked up a 27" cone (8" voice coil!) to a 500w high-power radio transmitter tube back in 1939. The magnet was an electromagnet that weighed 450 lbs. Actually there were 8 of these assemblies in a circle atop a tower at the 1939 World's Fair. Each driver was hooked to a horn with a 14' mouth; the monster drivers served as the LF section of a 2-way system. The top bandpass was probably another ring of Western Electric horns, but I'm not sure.

Don't know about its 50 Hz ability.

Probably not hi-fi; just efficient, powerful and LOUD.  Twisted Evil

-BinK

I recall seeing one of those monsters hanging from a chain hoist outside the anechoic chamber in the Bozak factory. You don't want to drop that on your foot.

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 20 queries.