ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs  (Read 20817 times)

Mike Bismo

Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »

I am in the middle of purchasing some subs. Torn between getting 2 Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs. I wanna get subs that can be upgraded in the near future. We do mobile gigs in small and large venues (300-1000 people). Already have the amps to push them (QSC RMX5050). Also what mids or High do you recommend?

Jeff Babcock

Re: Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »

I vote neither.  How about some Bassmaxx trips.  Those will make you smile.  Read a bit on the subwoofer shootout (NYC).  Some serious contenders there.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »

The Trips are very nice, as they should be at 350 lbs. each! Shocked

The CVs are cheap enough, that's all I will say in their favor, but even so you are almost at the price of Growlers which are small, light, very accurate and musical sounding and reasonable with power demands. Highly recommended, unless you like the mid-1970s disco sound of the CVs for your DJ system. Rolling Eyes
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Jacob Gop

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:51:17 AM »

Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake, dont get them they are weak!

Had a pair, sold them within a week, Big Junk, could not handle any power without cliping.

Jacob, I DJ, I know!

Paul O'Brien

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:11:24 AM »

One of the Earthhquake boxes was measured at a recent subwoofer shootout, I believe it was the EL36. The response was no better than a reflex cab below 100hz, about 98db@1w/1m, and dropped like a rock below 50hz. Just about any double 18 will outperform it in true sub applications, and somehting like the SRX is in another league altogether.
Paul O

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:26:29 AM »

I'd join the chorus against the C-V's; they don't do well at high volumes, don't load the speaker properly, and just don't....

How big is too big for you? And how much is too much? There are not many good subs out there that are not big and expensive. That being said, a lot of DJ's in the Houston area are using pretty funky gear and making a lot of $$$.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Mike Bismo

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

I appreciate everybody's help. Looks like the CVs are getting a lot of negatives. I need to get the subs asap. The other alternatives y'all mentioned (Growlers & Bassmaxx),I've never heard of them and would like to listen to them before I can make a decision. Does anyone have an opinion about the SBAL subs? Anyone out there that doesn't like the JBL SRX728S Dual 18" subs?

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »

SRX728S will sound fine.  You can do better, but they certainly will work, and lots of people have them and like them.  I see you are in Houston.  You can probably find somebody with Bassmaxx gear near you, they are based somewhere in Texas I believe.  Contact David Lee or one of the others at Bassmaxx (1 866) 333-MAXX (6299) and they can help you out.  A Trip or Deuce will eat an SRX728 for lunch.  They are very popular with larger DJ rigs.  Growlers are newer so may be slightly harder to audition.  Put up a thread asking to hear them and see who replies.

Mike Bismo

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

Am in Houston Tx. Will give David Lee a call. Thanx.

Jacob Gop

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:07:02 PM »

Dude just get a Growler, taking a listen is not going to help you any, these guys on the site are true professionals, they know what there doing and have tested the speakers, they would not lie to you. Just stop your being picky and go for the Growlers, you act like you still living at home and are about 17?

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2007, 04:16:02 PM »

Jacob Gop wrote on Fri, 10 August 2007 16:07

Dude just get a Growler, taking a listen is not going to help you any, these guys on the site are true professionals, they know what there doing and have tested the speakers, they would not lie to you. Just stop your being picky and go for the Growlers, you act like you still living at home and are about 17?
Pot..Kettle..Black

Duane Massey

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2007, 01:15:19 AM »

Bassmaxx is located in Houston, but their products are a bit more (maybe a LOT more?) than the CV's and others in that range. They fit the bigger/more$$/much better class.

David and I go way back, and their boxes are for those who want no compromises.

Would love to see some specs on the Growlers, as I am skeptical of any small-footprint subwoofer that is supposed to compete with the big cabinets.

Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2007, 10:53:02 AM »

I don't think anybody said the Growlers compete with the big boys.  They are very impressive cabinets for what they are.  Good sound, good output, good price.

I dodn't think you will see any major tours/concerts with them.

They fit very well into their target market.

The differences you will find between them and the "big boys" are
low freq extension and nto quite as high an output across the band.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Duane Massey

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2007, 03:16:37 PM »

Very true, Ivan. My concern is that sometimes the differences between the upper-echelon products (Bassmaxx, Danley, etc) and the "cost-effective" products are not emphasized to the less knowledgeable visitors.

Compare apples to apples, right?
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2007, 05:53:49 PM »

Cost effectivness is one thing that is very often overlooked.  If you are a weekend warrior and a single sub per side of decent quality is enough, then it is not so hard a decision to make.

But what happens when you start to run larger rigs?  Now the decision of using more less expensive/lower performing subs or fewer higher performing and possibly more expense (per unit) models.

What about the amplifiers (rack size)/ power distro size/ cabling/ truck pack volume/labor-time to unload and stack etc. come into play.

A wise sound guy told me many years ago "It is far better to buy fewer quality pieces of gear than bunches of cheaper stuff, because all you will end up with is louder crap!"  That statement is in no way refering to the growlers as crap-just a general audio statement.

You have to look at the TOTAL costs, not just the cost of one particular unit.

Very often people get hung up on particular price per piece and not the total cost of ownership/usage, which can sometimes be very surprising and not what you would expect.

A couple of db extra can get very expensive as you move up the ladder, so sensitivity can really be your friend.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Vic Cowles

• http://none
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2007, 11:43:52 AM »

I AB'd Growlers with JBL 728's.  The Growlers won. (by alot).  Been running the Growlers for awhile.  They have not blown.  The is a luxury not afforded to me by the JBL's.  Anyhoo, I am the don't like 728's guy.
I have to keep my day job to pay for this one.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2007, 10:40:37 AM »

As Ivan said, and Mac mentions in another thread... the Growlers aren't in the same market/class as BassMaxx, Danley, or some of the others... What Jeff's little sub does is go lower, louder, than similarly priced and positioned products, and it sounds better in the process.

That is why the Growler got into the listening tests at the NYC Sub shoot.  It stood out.  We passed over the EV Phoenix sub, the l'Acoustics SB218, and a couple of others after hearing them do the TEF sweeps.  While the Growler might not "out-perform" either of those examples, for what it is, and what it costs, it's an exceptional performer/value for those who's needs can be met by it.

If our corporate biz works out, I'd like to have 4 or 8 of these to hide behind silk plants when the decorator has final say on sound placement. Wink

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Matt Harris

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »

i have owned a pair of 728s and now own a pair of Bassmaxx deuces (powered by an I-tech 6000). PM me if you have any questions.

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2007, 05:33:42 PM »

Steve Shafer

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2007, 07:25:50 PM »

"Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake, dont get them they are weak!

Had a pair, sold them within a week, Big Junk, could not handle any power without cliping"

Cone speaker drivers do not "clip".  Where you referring to the amps?

How a speaker dies often tells you about how it was being used or missused.

So what actually happened to the CV drivers?

Jacob Gop

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2007, 06:10:32 PM »

Yeah my amps was clipping and the speakers sound like they hit a wall,

Sold everything, a Sound Man came over spent 2 hours doing his test and told me 1000 stories of rigging, stages, band members, he then woke me up and said, I'll take them!

He tried to work old Jacob on the price but Jacob was not having any of that.

Justin Fish

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2007, 10:38:12 AM »

Jacob Gop wrote on Thu, 30 August 2007 23:10

He tried to work old Jacob on the price but Jacob was not having any of that.

I am sure he did!

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 02:32:33 PM »

I have to put in a good word for the EAW LA400 subs.  Especially in groups of 2 or more with the DSP settings for them!  Very Musical sounding and punchy. And are very efficient with a peak SPL of 140dB with 500 watt continuous rating!
Take Care!
Phil Lewandowski
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.