ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs  (Read 20811 times)

Mike Bismo

Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs
« on: August 08, 2007, 11:41:52 AM »

I am in the middle of purchasing some subs. Torn between getting 2 Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs. I wanna get subs that can be upgraded in the near future. We do mobile gigs in small and large venues (300-1000 people). Already have the amps to push them (QSC RMX5050). Also what mids or High do you recommend?

Jeff Babcock

Re: Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake or JBL SRX728S subs
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2007, 12:51:56 PM »

I vote neither.  How about some Bassmaxx trips.  Those will make you smile.  Read a bit on the subwoofer shootout (NYC).  Some serious contenders there.

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2007, 09:54:13 PM »

The Trips are very nice, as they should be at 350 lbs. each! Shocked

The CVs are cheap enough, that's all I will say in their favor, but even so you are almost at the price of Growlers which are small, light, very accurate and musical sounding and reasonable with power demands. Highly recommended, unless you like the mid-1970s disco sound of the CVs for your DJ system. Rolling Eyes
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Jacob Gop

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 05:51:17 AM »

Cerwin Vega EL36 Earthquake, dont get them they are weak!

Had a pair, sold them within a week, Big Junk, could not handle any power without cliping.

Jacob, I DJ, I know!

Paul O'Brien

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 09:11:24 AM »

One of the Earthhquake boxes was measured at a recent subwoofer shootout, I believe it was the EL36. The response was no better than a reflex cab below 100hz, about 98db@1w/1m, and dropped like a rock below 50hz. Just about any double 18 will outperform it in true sub applications, and somehting like the SRX is in another league altogether.
Paul O

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 12:26:29 AM »

I'd join the chorus against the C-V's; they don't do well at high volumes, don't load the speaker properly, and just don't....

How big is too big for you? And how much is too much? There are not many good subs out there that are not big and expensive. That being said, a lot of DJ's in the Houston area are using pretty funky gear and making a lot of $$$.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Mike Bismo

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 10:58:12 AM »

I appreciate everybody's help. Looks like the CVs are getting a lot of negatives. I need to get the subs asap. The other alternatives y'all mentioned (Growlers & Bassmaxx),I've never heard of them and would like to listen to them before I can make a decision. Does anyone have an opinion about the SBAL subs? Anyone out there that doesn't like the JBL SRX728S Dual 18" subs?

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 12:44:26 PM »

SRX728S will sound fine.  You can do better, but they certainly will work, and lots of people have them and like them.  I see you are in Houston.  You can probably find somebody with Bassmaxx gear near you, they are based somewhere in Texas I believe.  Contact David Lee or one of the others at Bassmaxx (1 866) 333-MAXX (6299) and they can help you out.  A Trip or Deuce will eat an SRX728 for lunch.  They are very popular with larger DJ rigs.  Growlers are newer so may be slightly harder to audition.  Put up a thread asking to hear them and see who replies.

Mike Bismo

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 12:52:44 PM »

Am in Houston Tx. Will give David Lee a call. Thanx.

Jacob Gop

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2007, 04:07:02 PM »

Dude just get a Growler, taking a listen is not going to help you any, these guys on the site are true professionals, they know what there doing and have tested the speakers, they would not lie to you. Just stop your being picky and go for the Growlers, you act like you still living at home and are about 17?
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 20 queries.