ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quick question regarding long stereo cable runs  (Read 2312 times)

Loren Aguey

Quick question regarding long stereo cable runs
« on: August 19, 2007, 08:52:43 AM »

I would like to use a matrix send from an Allen & Heath GL2400 to route signal to basically a separate PA system in the same club(its really long). I have one xlr/trs line open from the 6 channel multi pair cable that will feed signal from the board to the other EQ/Amp rack in the office of the club.

The matrix have stereo outputs from one 1/4" send, if I just wire a L/R TRS send over (about 50ft max), split the outputs on the other side to feed the L and R of the eq, will I need an insert cable with female send/returns (or vice/versa, either way I'll need f/f adapters for extension purposes) to ensure that a separate side of the mix will feed the corresponding side of the EQ?

And, is there anything fundamentally wrong with using 1 stereo cable for this application as opposed to two independent balanced lines? I'm just hoping not to have to run another line, as it would be a pain.

Thanks.
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

John Birchman, CTS

• http://www.jrbtechnical.com/
Re: Quick question regarding long stereo cable runs
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »

Looking at the GL2400 Manual - The Matrix outputs are not Stereo.  You would need to assign a Matrix (1) as Left and another Matrix (2) as Right, and then send both of these to the Left and Right on the EQ in the office.  Also, keep in mind that the Matrix Outs are at -2dBu, and not +4dBu.

I would recommend that you run 2 new XLR cables to the other EQ/amp, as you only have one line open on your multipair.  The only way to send stereo down the 1 channel would be unbalanced, and it is not recommended to send a signal that far unbalanced. In that environment, you will certainly pick up a hum or buzz in the system.

John
John Birchman, CTS
Freelance AV and Stage Technician
JRB Technical
Lake Buena Vista, FL

Loren Aguey

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2007, 03:23:05 PM »

Thanks very much John, thats exactly what I needed to know. Looks like I'll be running another couple lines.

The setup in their right now is theres a little mackie 1402vlz in the office taking signal from the FOH board, DJ mixer, satellite feed and tv feed and feeding the crossover. The control room mix out is whats feed the front fills, and the dancefloor in the back of the room. I'm just switching it around so that the GL2400 is the control center for everything in the room, so I don't have to keep running to the office when bands are playing. And so I can have independent control of the front fills and back dancefloor from the sound booth and not the office. The only thing the mackie will be used for now is returning the satellite and tv feeds back to the GL2400.

Thanks again John.

Gil Parente

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 09:40:58 PM »

Hi Loren,
I was thinking about this and wondering if there really is a need for a Stereo signal going to your secondary zone.   I'd say, evaluate the cituation and see if a Mono signal would be sufficient.  If so, just send both L and R signal out of Matrix 1 to that EQ channel.  If so, just use that line you have free.
If not.... Just run the new lines.

take care
Gil

Loren Aguey

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 04:05:04 AM »

Hey Gil,

its actually a separate dancefloor thats the size of a small clubs dancefloor thats totally separate from the FOH area so I think stereo is necessary. There is however two front fills currently in stereo that I'm summing to mono because they're just fills and setup on opposite sides of the room. I actually just found tucked way in a corner, two more 8 channel snakes sitting there not being used from an old install. Anyway, we re-routed one of them to the soundbooth and now I have plenty of channels, I just had to solder on the ends.

I soldered the ends and was getting a wicked buzz from the snake I found, turns out the xlr ends in the office were all wired for unbalanced TS, I re-wired them balanced and the buzz was gone. Its situations like that when I really appreciate things I've learned on this forum.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.