ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED Par with fan  (Read 2349 times)

Aaron McQueen

LED Par with fan
« on: July 25, 2007, 10:50:12 PM »

I recently purchased a the 121-LED-64 from cheaplights.com.

http://www.cheaplights.com/eshop/product.php?productid=48&am p;cat=10&page=1

I'm pretty impressed with the output and it is comparable to a par 64 with a gel.  However I was surprised that the fixture has a fan that is fairly audible.

My question is, do most of the current LED fixtures have fans? What is the purpose of the fan?  What is it cooling?  Could it be disabled?

Rob Blohm

Re: LED Par with fan
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 11:54:34 AM »

I imagine the fan is for cooling the internal electronics. Not sure how hot those cans get though. I have the ADJ PAR 64 LED fixture and it has no cooling fan, and really doesn't seem like it would need it. I'd equate it's heat output at full on to that of a toaster a foot away. Probably less than that.

Aaron McQueen

Re: LED Par with fan
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 04:03:18 PM »

Well I took the fixture apart and the fan was actually connected via an actual connector to the circuit board.  I disconnected the fan and plugged it in.  The unit turned on and I left it running in a demo color changing mode for two hours.  I came back and it was still cool.  I could leave my hand on the unit with no problems.  I opened the case again (after unplugging it) and touched the various power supply and control components.  Everything was warm, but definitely not hot.  I'm placing an order for more of these soon, and I'll post a full review then.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 19 queries.