ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HME Digi Com PAIN !!!  (Read 1055 times)

Mikey Brown

HME Digi Com PAIN !!!
« on: July 22, 2007, 12:44:12 AM »

So during the show today the Clear Com starts crackling. Doing it's thing in all 50 or so headsets and biscuits through out the house. After a little trouble shoot, find out it is the HME 800 that is killing me. No problem I think we just got one of those new digi 850's across the street at the new venue. Someone brings it over with a warning. "well we tried to get it configured but only got one unit to work, then gave up as we did'nt really need it." Well I used one of the new digi HME's a while back and it worked OK but getting them configured took a little time. So this one won't be so bad right? Hell no!!! This is an 850. I spent almost an hour reading the manual and the quick start guide. At least another hour trying to configure and upload the files into the beltpacks. Finally got 3 out of the 4 to work. 15 minutes later I was doing a final check with the guys and bango!! Shit the bed!! It's all assed up again. Some recieve can't talk, some do both some don't do dick. Man I'm pissed, screwed big time. Have to can the new Com idea and get through the next show with the 800 having the SM bypass it when shes not using it, so the rest of the system is clean. Now I am sure that in a shop situation I can get this thing working great. But for "I need this now status" what a pain. All I can say is I can't wait for the 800 to get fixed. God, this piece of new digi gear sure made me feel stupid. Maybe I need to go to HME school now so I can get with the new school Com deal. Thanks for the Vent folks....

Eric Snodgrass

Re: HME Digi Com PAIN !!!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »

Yep, headset communications is, in my mind, the single most important department for live television and larger theatrical shows.  Comm system goes down on one of these shows and the show is over.  For the large live events (Oscars, Grammys, etc.) they hire a vendor to install, run and maintain the comm systems.  
Comm systems have become more complex and, as you experienced, it isn't always as easy as plugging in a base station and hooking up beltpacks.  Unfortunately the people making the purchasing decisions often don't know the gear they are purchasing but they are duped into believing that the latest, shiniest, most digital piece of audio gear is the one they need.  Said folks with purchasing power are probably just used to consumer electronics and appliances;  purchasing bigger, better and newer for consumer electronics and appliances doesn't inherently come with a longer and steeper learning curve (they plug in their big screen television or their new computer and it works without reading the manual).  I find the opposite is true with higher end pro audio gear.  Using bigger, better and newer (especially digital) pro audio gear almost invariably means a longer and steeper learning curve (depending on the knowledge of the end-user, of course).  
Eric Snodgrass
No, really, I do this for a living.

Mikey Brown

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 02:49:15 PM »

Exactly, I just got in and am about to go at it again for an hour, to see if I can get it up and running right. The end user comment is really spot on. Not only do you need to have the chops to configure these things in an instant, but you also have to be able to train the beltpack user on the mechanics of the new system he is running. The wide eyed looks of the Carps, and Electricians I gave them too were priceless. Enough!! of this chattery back to the fight!!!!

Mikey Brown

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 04:38:43 PM »

OK back again. No Bueno for day 2. Digital Yeti sounds eminate from the settings I saved yesterday. I do believe this unit will be great once I have time to configure properly with the software. Lockout of access by anyone once this is configured
will be mandatory, as one mis-key of the base unit could be disasterous during a show. As for purchasing.. I believe every contractor would have to spec the most up to date gear availiable, and rightly so. It is up to us to keep up with the technology and keep our skill levels to match. Or get a career at Wal Mart. Just like Digi desks DSP or any other new tech. And as you know in the theatrical realm, audio is really 3 departments. Audio, Com, and Video. I Gotta show to mix so later for this!              ..........OK it's later and all I can say is, thanks to possibly the best stage manager on the planet, my failures were insignificant.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 18 queries.