ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dynacord PowerH Amplifiers  (Read 27916 times)

Tim McCulloch

Re: Burning Man
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2007, 07:25:08 PM »

Pascal-

So how did the amps hold out in their pampered box?

What brought about the subwoofer switch?  I thought you were very happy with the Triples....  How did the TH-115s handle the dust and crud?

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2007, 07:31:32 PM »

And here are some pics of the inside of the box:

index.php/fa/11650/0/

As you can see from the amount of dust inside the box, it wasn't completely successful. We failed to tape every crack closed, and that allowed a bit of dust to settle inside the cabinet. That being said, when we opened up the amps to clean them out after the event, we found more red dust from the outdoor events we did earlier in the summer than we did playa dust.

The top pic shows the AC units (total of 20,000 BTU's), the HEPA filter, a temp gauge (never got above 90 degrees in the box), and the top racks. The middle pic shows the amps used a bit better, and you can see the purple distro box the AC is sitting on. Yes, I do know the Crest blows the opposite direction that the Camco's do, but there was simply not enough room to put another rack in the box, and we kept a close eye on the temp conditions of the 4601. The bottom pic is the best of my many failed attempts to get a good picture of the PowerH amps in the dark...

The amps were configured with three PowerH 5000's running the twelve Danley Th-115's, the fourth PowerH 5000 running the lows, two of the Camco V's running the mids, and the third Camco and the Crest 4601 running the highs. The mids and highs were split between two sets of amps in order to allow me to do some power-shading with the vertical array, keeping the mids and highs from ripping one's head off up close to the array.

Once again the PowerH amps performed great. And with 12 TH-115's across the front of the stage, it was impossible to stand with-in 30 feet of the front of the stage without causing serious ear pain as the bass waves clipped one's ear drums. We ended up running the subs at about 1/2 max volume for the entire week, and the only PowerH 5000 that was working hard was the one running the lows, which were pushed to the limit trying to keep up with the subs.
Know:Audio
--------------------------------
US Distributor: Trabes/MG Srl
Speaker Lifts-Truss-Roof Systems

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2007, 09:49:08 PM »

Lovely.

So what prices the Dynacords command?  I remeber seeing a price of something like $7k on the biggest one, and that's clearly and plainly out of our league...  We'd have to re-start the rave scene here (that our law enforcement community took great delight in CRUSHING 12 years ago) in order to pay for these.  Goddess knows the live audio market here won't support such purchases.

And:  What brought about the change in subs?  Why was someone unhappy with their Danleys, and what wasn't right with the BassMaxx Triples for you?  I recall you being very impressed with them... and after hearing them in NYC, I think the output was significant.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Jeff Taylor

• http://www.facebook.com/speakergeek
Re: Prices
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2007, 10:58:25 PM »

Not quite $7 grand Tim, but

$4400 MSRP H5000
$3800 MSRP H2500

Pascal Pincosy

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2007, 11:51:13 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Tue, 09 October 2007 02:49

And:  What brought about the change in subs?  Why was someone unhappy with their Danleys, and what wasn't right with the BassMaxx Triples for you?  I recall you being very impressed with them... and after hearing them in NYC, I think the output was significant.

I'd like to keep this thread focused on the PowerH amps as it is a Road Test article. I'll be writing up my impressions of the TH-115's at some point soon, but suffice it to say that the decision to change subs was entirely business-based. The ability to cross-rent became more and more important for me as the gigs got bigger. No-one in my area had Bassmaxx Trips (or Deuces) available for rent. And another small sound company here owns 8 TH-115's. So I bought 8 new, and now we have up to 16 available for shows here in SF.

And so yes, the first time I used my brand new TH-115's was at Burning Man.  Shocked

Tim McCulloch

Re: Prices
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2007, 12:08:24 AM »

Jeff-

Thanks.  I was thinking "how are they gonna sell those at that price?"  Much friendlier than what I was erroneously told and sheds a whole new light on them.  Thanks for the correction.

Tim Mc

Pascal Pincosy

Re: Dynacord PowerH Amplifiers
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2007, 11:42:39 PM »

As the last part of my Dynacord PowerH review, I set up a series of listening tests, comparing the PowerH5000 with some of the top amps in the field. You can read the results here: http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/27380/9721/ but the short answer is that the PowerH amps are definitely playing in the same ballpark as any of the top amplifier manufacturers. And at the price-point of the PowerH amps, given their feature-set, they seem like a great deal to me.

Cevin Reed

Re: Dynacord PowerH Amplifiers
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2007, 10:13:14 AM »

For my show last weekend, we were very limited on space so we could only bring in one stack per side. So, I had to push the amps pretty hard to cover the depth of the room with sound. Even still, the amperage on the H5000 never got above 6amps being drawn. Incredible......

It's a shame that I know the lighting guys will take advantage of this situation, thinking they now have more available power for them........   Confused
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 16 queries.