ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Conduit Installed Balanced Cable  (Read 5292 times)

Aaron McQueen

Conduit Installed Balanced Cable
« on: July 20, 2007, 12:33:27 PM »

What balanced cable to you guys usually use for installation in a PVC conduit? Belden 1266A?

Ron Hebbard

Re: Conduit Installed Balanced Cable
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 06:49:59 PM »

Aaron McQueen wrote on Fri, 20 July 2007 17:33

What balanced cable to you guys usually use for installation in a PVC conduit? Belden 1266A?

Hello Aaron;

Belden 8451 / 9451 has been the "stanard of the industry" for at least 4 decades.
Both are available with either a black or grey outer jacket.
The only difference between 8451 and 9451 is 9451 has glue applied on the outside of it's foil shield bonding the foil to the outer jacket such that the shield strips off with the jacket in one time and labour saving step when using most decent quality cable strippers.

Of course saying Belden is like saying Kleenex in the sense that it's the old, established, name brand.
You'll find that Carol Columbia, Delco, West Penn and most of the major cable suppliers will have a matching equivalent.
If you're buying a sufficient quantity, even the Belden can be cost effective given the right salesperson.

22 gauge red / black polypropylene twisted pair.
100% foil shield
PVC outer jacket

Used for both mic and line level
Sold in a wide range of put-ups.

Thoughts on making your outer jacket color choice(s):
You may want to pull mic lines in one color and line level in the second color for ease in sorting
Alternately, you may pull in one color with spares in the second color.
I recall doing one job with mics in one color and mic spares in the second color but with
line level in the second color and line level spares in the first color.

Not a big deal for a few runs but quite useful if you're sorting through a few thousand lines in a large project.

Next thought, digital is upon us.
Depending upon what you're up to, some consultants are spec'ing a more digital friendly cable throughout with forethought and staving off obsolesence in mind.
Sorry!  I don't have those cable numbers indelibly etched in what's left of my brain but I'm sure Tom, Ivan, Hal or others of our cast of thousands will be along in a post or two.

Toodleoo!
Ron Hebbard

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 07:16:35 PM »

we use a local company that manufactures a lot of belden equivalents, but as mentioned above you'll find they're almost all the same.
as long as you don't overfill your conduits (belden has a calculator on their website, so use the belden equivalent number and go check it out) you're good to go.

just don't do like some companies I've seen and try to pull standard mic cable through.. it's more expensive, harder to pull, and wastes space in the conduit. any 22awg 1-pair with foil shield and drain wire should do you.

Jason

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC

• http://www.comsystecusa.com
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:45:31 PM »

We have been using the West Penn equivalent of Belden 8451- 3454 because it comes in lots of nice colors. And, no I don't have the numbers for "digital friendly" versions right off either.  

-Hal

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »

We use West Penn 291 in all the colors
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tom Young

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2007, 08:52:55 AM »

If I was faced with PVC conduit I would focus on proper separation of wire groups (mic, line, ldspkr, AC power, data) and I would use Belden 1800-series AES/EBU cable (for at least the mic lines) which features twisted pair conductors and is considered to be less susceptible to noise.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Adam Kane

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 05:14:26 PM »

West Penn 291 or Gepco C-129.  The C-129 foil strips off with the jacket and also seems to pull a bit smoother than the 291 in similar situations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 18 queries.