ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: REQUEST/SURVEY: Jump Page and Right Side content  (Read 5254 times)

Chad Curll

REQUEST/SURVEY: Jump Page and Right Side content
« on: January 06, 2011, 10:24:14 am »

1) Did you use Jump Page to read new posts on the forums? If not, how best would to describe the usefulness of the jump page?

2) What articles/topics would you like to see on the right-hand side?

3) We can pull in a variety of information from the forums and display them on the jump page, what content from the forums would you like to see displayed on the new Jump Page?

Thanks!

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: REQUEST/SURVEY: Jump Page and Right Side content
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2011, 01:35:34 pm »

1) Did you use Jump Page to read new posts on the forums? If not, how best would to describe the usefulness of the jump page?

3) We can pull in a variety of information from the forums and display them on the jump page, what content from the forums would you like to see displayed on the new Jump Page?

Thanks!

What is the "Jump Page"? As far as content, I don't need to see any content from the forums there, I am already in the forums. The news and editorial content we currently have from the PSW editorial side is fine. I do like it better on the left instead of the right however.

Mac

Ernie Black

• Administrator
    • Standing Stone Designs
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2011, 03:42:06 pm »

Couple quick notes re: PSW content on the right: 1) needs a CSS font-size tweak so that the content displays in the designated area; at present it's too big and overflows without scrolling; and 2) the links should have a target=_blank so that links open in a new window and not in the side column space.
Code Warrior of the Seven Galaxies

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2011, 03:53:46 pm »

No.

Nothing, or at least the option to turn it off. I want all the page width for the forum.

Doesn't matter, won't use it.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Andy Peters

• "On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2011, 07:08:26 pm »

Not gonna use it. forums.prosoundweb.com is the bookmark.

Nothing, it makes the layout a mess.

See above.

-a

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 01:40:19 pm »

Nope. bookmarked forums.prosoundweb.com

See andy's response. I don't even look over there, so it doesn't matter.

Like Andrew I won't use it.

I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Dave Bigelow

• Louisville, KY when I am actually home...
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 01:45:07 pm »

1) Like others, my bookmark takes me right to the forums.

2) I also agree with having an option to turn it off, I'd rather have the forum space if possible.

3) See answer to #1

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
    • Our band's page on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2011, 01:52:41 pm »

Couple quick notes re: PSW content on the right: 1) needs a CSS font-size tweak so that the content displays in the designated area; at present it's too big and overflows without scrolling; and 2) the links should have a target=_blank so that links open in a new window and not in the side column space.

+1 on this - the links need to open in a new window and not on the right hand side, since the PSW content on the right is still being cut off without re-wrapping.

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:13:59 am »

1) Did you use Jump Page to read new posts on the forums?
No, I usually jump directly into the forum

1b)If not, how best would to describe the usefulness of the jump page?
Overview of the different forums with different rules- Other than that: useless

Dont really care, only here to read the forum.

Dont care... sell it to advertisers...
The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2011, 10:23:40 pm »

I didn't even know there was a jump page before. I have bookmarked and memorized forums.prosoundweb.com - it's all I use. At work i have lounge and basement bookmarked as tabs to open with my other music pages.

None on the right - if you want to keep the same kind of articles fine, but put them on the left please.

Whatever you want, since I don't use it and doubt few LABsters will. You won't be able to sell much ad space since there won't be much traffic.

Thanks!
[/quote]

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 10:22:01 am »

Chad - please fix the fact that content/articles on the right side are currently useless - clicking on them opens them in that side in a non-scrollable pane, so we can't read the articles - this is bad for any advertisers hoping for page counts on those articles.

Please make those open into a new page as the current forum works. Otherwise, people will completely ignore these articles and topics.
Mac OSX 10.6.6 running Safari 5.0.3
iPhone 3GS running 4.2.1 - the site is still very screwed up for reading on iphone - text is only taking up half the screen.

Adam Wh3tham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 12:38:32 pm »

Looks like an iframe Fail right now... at least it made it to the left side finally... If you want to navigate around in it you can just center click on your mouse.... not sure what that is for you mac people.

[Fixed]

Attachment here
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 02:16:10 pm by Chad Curll »
I practice safe excursion on the weekends

Chad Curll

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 12:40:08 pm »

Looks like an iframe Fail right now... at least it made it to the left side finally... If you want to navigate around in it you can just center click on your mouse.... not sure what that is for you mac people.

Iframe fail hard :)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 01:54:01 pm »

Can we make that ad/jump page/news thing on the side of the page (left or right) like half or a third the width that it is right now? That way it will more closely match the width of the old forums? and give more usable space for the actual forums?
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Chad Curll

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 02:17:28 pm »

Can we make that ad/jump page/news thing on the side of the page (left or right) like half or a third the width that it is right now? That way it will more closely match the width of the old forums? and give more usable space for the actual forums?

Nope. Ads are that width. I get the impression a lot of users have CRT or non-widescreen monitors.

Duncan McLennan

• Ontario, Canada
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 03:14:31 pm »

Nope. Ads are that width. I get the impression a lot of users have CRT or non-widescreen monitors.

I don't think it's so much non-widescreen monitors, as the simple fact that with the ads being so wide, as well as the avatar and person's information being so large, that the actual content is only about half of the screen.

On a 13" Macbook, I can see everything without scrolling, but the posts are very narrow. And there appears to be a lot of wasted space on either side of the ads.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 04:34:56 pm »

I have a wide screen monitor. And the screen usage sucks on both my laptop, my wife's laptop, and my widescreen desktop at work. And reading on the iPhone, almost half the screen is taken up with the add space = suck.

Do this, load up this forum in one tab, and load up the old forum in another tab. Switch between the two tabs and you'll see that 1) the adds themselves are about twice as wide as on the old forum, and 2) the margins of background space around the adds are about 10 times as thick. This all makes the forums themselves look like they are on a 4:3 screen. Very odd when using a widescreen monitor. I can't imagine what they are like on an old school 4:3 CRT--probably less than half the screen is usable without scrolling to the left and right just to read the forums.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • back home in Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 04:49:26 pm »

Here's a screen shot from my iPhone. Notice all that useless space on the left margin? and once you scroll down past the adds, is completely useless.
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Chad Curll

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 05:22:10 pm »

You can click the little Minus button next to the date and it'll collapse that box.

The left side on FUD is filled with ads and content pulls. We can add as much stuff over there as we need :) We'll put it to use.

Ned Ward

• SR Forums
  • Redondo Beach, CA
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2011, 10:55:24 pm »

thanks for moving the ads to the left. There's still a problem on iPhones.

On the responses that are near the left-hand ads, they are chopped off on the left (including member names) but appear to be wrapping.

If you go down past where the ad copy ends, then it returns to normal, albeit with a wide swath of space unused. With the giant space for user information and the giant space for ads, anyone viewing on anything smaller than a 27" monitor (ie most people on gigs) will be screwed.

Please fix.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2011, 02:54:26 pm »

I have a wide screen monitor, but I don't use the full screen for my web browser.  I *do* have a life... sort of..

Now I understand the replies to Evan's post about stuff of the right side... I don't see any of that because of ad & java script blockers... but the width of the left column and the inflexible size of the forum frame means scrolling for me.  Bah, humbug.

Tim Mc
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2011, 05:32:40 pm »

I didn't use the jump thing.

My display is 1280x1084 and I have to scroll right to see the entire frame in normal forum view.

However, as I type this reply, the ads are on the right and I don't have to scroll.

"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

Chad Curll

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2011, 05:43:24 pm »

I didn't use the jump thing.

My display is 1280x1084 and I have to scroll right to see the entire frame in normal forum view.

However, as I type this reply, the ads are on the right and I don't have to scroll.

In this thread, the attachments push the Right Side content off-screen.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

In this thread, the attachments push the Right Side content off-screen.

Can't have clickable ads being pushed out of the display!   ;D
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2011, 07:20:26 pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 23 queries.