ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electro-Voice Phoenix 2122 & 2181 Loudspeakers  (Read 38796 times)

Teri Hogan

Re: Electro-Voice Phoenix 2122 & 2181 Loudspeakers
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2007, 12:08:22 AM »

Howdy Folks,
We were allowed to take possession for demo purposes of the Phoenix rigs EV took to SXSW.  We had 4 of the subs, 4 of the double 12s and 2 of double 15s.

Now, I've got to say that we have been running a 24-box MT2 rig for years and I never thought I'd hear another box I liked better than my MT2s.

The first show we were able to do with them was a smaller 1 stack/side rig of the double 15s.  John was out on another show and didn't get to hear them.  At the end of my show, I called him up and told him "John, EV's not getting these boxes back!"

I was overwhelmed with the clarity of the boxes in all parts of the venue (outdoor, covered pavillion), a space that has traditionally been difficult to obtain clean sound at a reasonable volume.  Both the subs and mid-his were so amazingly clean.  

Then we took the 2-12 boxes out for a bigger show and were just awestruck.  First, the engineering of the boxes is amazing.  The MT2 subs weight 180 pounds and the MT2 mid-his are 205.  The Phoenix subs are about the same weight but the mid-his are, what, 78 pounds?  And even though the subs are the same weight, they feel like half that.  I can handle them by myself, which is saying a lot.  We're both getting older and weight is becoming an issue!

The 2 stack/side double 12 rig is absolutely flawless.  There were a few problems with the highs early on but EV has issued two updates to the DX38 settings since then and that completely fixed the problem.

We also bought the CP4000 amps to run this rig.  Oh, did I mention we bought both systems?  The CP4000 is equivalent to a MacroTech 3600 but we both agree that it is a cleaner amp.  We really like the smooth, rich sound.  AND it weights something like 17 pounds.  (I'm not good at remembering exact numbers.)

We are just in heaven with our new systems.  And if you know anyone who wants to buy some MT2s, maybe for club install where you don't have to move them, ours are for sale.  I can't believe I'm saying that...that's how good the Phoenix are!

Teri Hogan
Sound Services, Inc.  

Brian Wynn

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 12:05:47 AM »

UPDATE

I just bought 4 PX2181 subs.  The demo sold me to.

I think everyone I have spoke to who has tried these has bought them.  So if your getting a demo soon get out your check book.  

You cant lose with these boxs!!!!!!
Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
Sounds Cool Live Audio LLC
www.soundscoolliveaudio.com
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086

Paul Lea

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 12:54:19 PM »

I drank the kool-aid also.  Went and heard them, we ended up buying 12 of the PX2122 tops and 8 of the PX2181 subs this past week. Great sounding boxes for the money.
Paul Lea

Owner - Midwest Sound and Production, LLC

Tim Padrick

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2008, 02:03:41 AM »

Finally, a spec sheet that actually shows a very common loudspeaker problem: When the listener is even a bit off-axis below the box, the midrange does to hell.  (I've tried MP412s and U15s in the theater, and both suffered from the problem.  I did not get the chance to try them upside down, but my experience with mini studio monitors suggests that they will indeed work better when topsy-turvy.)

index.php/fa/14952/0/

Greg Harwood

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2008, 04:24:28 PM »

Same thing happened to me.  I went to hear a demo and ended up making a purchase.  These boxes sound fantastic.  My needs are small so I just got (2) PX2152 and (2) PX2181.  I highly recommend these to anyone wanting to improve their output and sound quality.
Greg H.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2008, 10:00:48 PM »

OK I did it again not only did I buy The subs but I just ordered 6 PX1152m Monitors to.
Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
Sounds Cool Live Audio LLC
www.soundscoolliveaudio.com
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086

Paul Lea

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2008, 11:53:57 AM »

Brian,

I have not heard the monitors yet, what sold you on the monitors and what were you using before?
Paul Lea

Owner - Midwest Sound and Production, LLC

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2008, 11:38:46 AM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Wed, 26 March 2008 01:03

Finally, a spec sheet that actually shows a very common loudspeaker problem: When the listener is even a bit off-axis below the box, the midrange does to hell.  (I've tried MP412s and U15s in the theater, and both suffered from the problem.  I did not get the chance to try them upside down, but my experience with mini studio monitors suggests that they will indeed work better when topsy-turvy.)

index.php/fa/14952/0/

When you mention U15's, are you referring to the Yorkville U15?  I'm quite surprised that you would see similar lobing with them as the crossover point between the horn and the woof is 300 hz.  Can you elaborate?  

drew gandy

stephanMartos

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2008, 05:43:10 AM »

hello, and sorry for my poor language  Embarassed

i have 8 XLD 281 and 4 Xsub.
i like the sound of Xsub, but the throw of this sub is a little short in my opinion...i need more impact (or punch).
I hesitate to buy 2 others Xsub, or replace all Xsub for PX2181.
Question :
- does somenone did comparison between Xsub and PX2181 ?
- does PX2181 is a good choice for XLD281 ?
i use EV P3000RL and P1200RL amps.

Thanks for your suggestions

Stephan
stéphan

Tim Padrick

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2008, 06:30:05 AM »

drewgandy wrote on Tue, 15 April 2008 10:38

Tim Padrick wrote on Wed, 26 March 2008 01:03

index.php/fa/14952/0/

When you mention U15's, are you referring to the Yorkville U15?  I'm quite surprised that you would see similar lobing with them as the crossover point between the horn and the woof is 300 hz.  Can you elaborate?  

drew gandy

I'm rather poor at "calling frequencies", but I think the suck-out in the U15s is a bit lower than the one pictured, but perhaps not as low as the XO frequency would tend to indicate.  However it's been quite a long while, so I'm a bit foggy on the details.  My main recollection is that while the highs were surprisingly good that far off axis, the midrange was not acceptable.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 19 queries.