ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Electro-Voice Phoenix 2122 & 2181 Loudspeakers  (Read 38799 times)

Jason Ketchem

Electro-Voice Phoenix 2122 & 2181 Loudspeakers
« on: July 11, 2007, 10:23:26 PM »

Hello All,

For those of you on here that don't know who I am, my name is Jason Ketchem.  I co-own Sounds Cool Live Audio LLC with my partner, Brian Wynn.  We are a small company located in Crown Point Indiana, approximately 40 miles Southeast of Chicago.

Being a user of EV product already, (qrx & xld) I was excited to hear of a new product line out, aimed at our market.  I was not able to attend a demo held earlier in the year by our rep, so needless to say I have been eager to get my hands on some of these.  Luckily, ROAD TEST came to mind and they have been very helpful in obtaining these speakers.  I called Sara and asked if I could obtain The PX2122 mid/hi and the PX2181 sub.  Shortly thereafter, we received 4 2122's, 4 2181's, 4-CP4000 power amps, and 2- DX 38 processors racked.

I have had the opportunity to use these boxes at some events recently, and am preparing a nice full report.  Please stay tuned for reports and pictures to come.  I hope to get this out to you by next week.  Please ask some questions, so we can interact on this thread.
Jason Ketchem

[

Jason Ketchem

Re: Electro-Voice Phoenix 2122 & 2181 Loudspeakers
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2007, 03:00:51 PM »

EV PX2122
I have taken the following info from the EV site:
Electrovoice
Specifications
Frequency Response (-3dB) 80 - 15000 Hz  
Frequency Response (-10dB) 60 - 19000 Hz  
Sensitivity 1W/1m 102 dB  
Max. SPL/1m (calc); half space 138 dB  
Coverage (nominal -6dB) H
Jason Ketchem

[

Josh Bartunek

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »

I'd like to introduce myself as a loudspeaker product manager at Electro-Voice involved in the Phoenix introduction. Also, I'd like to thank Jason and Brian for taking the time to evaluate the rig and post their impressions within this forum. The situations in which Sounds Cool Live Audio employed the system are exactly where Phoenix was intended to be used.

I'm here to answer any questions folks may have from the manufacturing end, and will most likely be seeking guidance from our engineering team to make sure I don't misinform.

I'm looking forward to the discussion!

Josh Bartunek
Movek LLC
Edina, MN 55439
www.mymixaudio.com

Brian Wynn

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2007, 02:14:35 AM »

Good to here from you again Josh.  And thank you for giving us some time with the rig.  We really enjoyed it and it was very informational.  I love to get my hands on new PA equipment and try different things.

Which brings be to my next point.  For those of you who don't know me I am Jason Ketchem's partner in Sounds Cool Live Audio LLC.  I handle logistic's, booking, system design , and feeding the fish.  I have the easy job compared to what Jason does.  

As Jason mentioned above the first time out with rig was good.  I had to take -3dB off the horns in the DX38's and cut 2K -4dB, 500HZ -6 dB, and 1.6K -2dB out of the house EQ then we had something to listen to.  Smooth all around.  The first thing that came to my mind was WOW I found my new subs.  This system carried 95dB to 260 feet and thats just where I stopped walking.  I also didn't care much for the hollow feet they break to easy.  If they were solid nylon I think that would be the ticket.  The caster boards are the coolest I have even seen.  The covers were OK not the best but not the worst.  The subs are 90 inch truck pack  1/2 by 1/4 someone was thinking there.  I wish they had more handles on the top and bottom.  Or maybe move the current locations for easy of stacking.   If you are lucky enough to hear this system you will be impressed with the magnitude of the low end and crisp bright high end, 800HZ lobe? Nope not here smooth as can be.  

The second night at fest number one was a lot more of the same, I had a little more time to tune and walk the seating area.  Of course smooth and well covered all the way through.  Night two was a recent Nashville Star 2nd place winner.  She was on here game that night, band sounded great, strong vocal, and some good ole country music.  I had 2000 spectators that night with 2 tops and 2 subs aside.  No clipping No Limiting No distortion.  I had    
some seniors in the first 8 rows.  Pushing 100dB all night long and they stayed in there seats.  After the show 4 or 5 came up to me a FOH.  The first think that I thought was here we go with "IT WAS TO LOUD, MY EARS ARE RINGING" but I was wrong it was more like "You don't hear quality like that everyday, and Were are you going to be next week". I think they cleaned me out of cards that night.

In the near future we will be posting more info. on the other shows we did with this system.  And at the end we will do a final  
"What We Thought" review of the overall system and it's components.

Brian Wynn
219-712-7086  
Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
Sounds Cool Live Audio LLC
www.soundscoolliveaudio.com
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086

Iain_Macdonald

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 02:15:30 PM »

Hi,

I see from the spec, that the horn is rotatable. If you had time could you see if it arrays as well as the normal position.

Thanks.

Iain.

Brian Wynn

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 03:15:27 PM »

We never had a chance to rotate the horn on the road test.  They have since been sent off to another company for a test drive.  I will contact that company and see if I can get those results for you.  What I can tell you is that 2 or 3 tops shade really nice together in the factory 30 by 45 configuration.  As I said above I think there is to much horn for my liking per the EV preset but that is just personal preference.  IUf you have anymore questions please feel free.  The secound gig will be posted in the next 48 hours.

Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086

Brian Wynn

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 09:43:01 AM »

Secound GIG

This gig was a 4th of July outdoor event with multiple bands and DJ playback music.  The customer insisted that the PA must be heard from the other side of the park.  Which was about a 1/4 of a mile away.  Lucky for us we had a lake between the performace area and the other end of the park which carried the audio very well.  We did not use delay stacks because of power issues.  Anyway the Phoenix system did a great job filling a side stage area.  We used a 3 over 1 configuration with the EV supplied rack of power and processing mentioned about in the first post.  It covered a pie shaped listing area side stage about 100' wide 400' deep at 103 db up front to 90 db in the back.  Here is a picture that shows the system in the background and part of the listening area I mentioned above.

index.php/fa/10938/0/
Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086

David Brecheen

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 07:28:08 PM »

Hello,
  I have just purchased a 2122 and 2181 system.  We have four 2122 and  four 2181's.   I just want to say that the system has done very well.  The only small gripe I have has already been addressed about the handles and feet.  I have found the sub to be tight and quite punchy while being able to deliver the lowest frequencies of its usuable range with lots of energy.  The sub rocks my world for sure.  The tops are also very smooth and can carry a good distance.  Sonically the rig is very pleasing to the ear.  I use QSC PL3 amps currently and my DSP is the 4 in 8 out Ashly Protea.  I have a PL340 on the horns (a 325 would be fine, but I don't have any at the moment so the 340 is being used).  I use a 380 on the 12's and a 380 for the subs.  In fact I can run all four stacks off these 3 amps which is really handy.  

Now here is a question for anyone who owns or has this rig.  Since I am not using EV amps and processing there was some data transfer that I had to do in order to set my Ashly/QSC combo up.  I think I have the system squashed in the processor a little to much.  It limits before I think it should.  After reading the previous posts I am pretty sure now.  I talked to EV and they said the the Ashly limiters might not be the  style peak limiters that they use in the EV dsp.  If anyone has used these speakers with a different dsp and run into the situation I am, I would like to hear what you did to change the configuration.  I know that i could back the limiters off when I am mixing, but when the system is rented out I want to be as safe as the EV dsp unit is being.  unless I am missing something my limit points should be as close to the EV setup as possible.  I compensated for the different sensitivity levels of the QSC amps versus the EV units.

Any help or ideas would be great.  By the way the 340 for the horns and the 380 for the 12's are set at a 32db sensitivity on the back of the amp, while the 380 for the subs is set to a 1.2v sensitivity.  I set the sub amp to this and it really made them come alive.  I tried the 12's at a 1.2v sensitivity but it seemed to be too much.  

David Brecheen

Scott Hibbard

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2007, 09:29:34 PM »

Hi Brian,

Quick question for you..with just 2 tops per side (30 degrees horizontal coverage each) did you find horizontal coverage lacking a little???  60 degrees of total horizontal coverage seems a little lite for outdoors.  Just curious as to how it worked in real-life.

ScottH

Brian Wynn

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 11:54:01 AM »

I would have to say it depends on the listing area.  A 30 foot wide stage with a 80 foot wide listing area is probably the widest I had with a 2 over 2 configuration.  With the 3 over 1 configuration I had about a 120 feet of width in the listing area but it was side stage adjacent to a 8 box hang of XLD.  All in all I would say that a 60 x 40 would be better in most cases but you need to consider the box was designed for long throw purposes.  I did not rotate the horn for the road test.  All in all I think you will be most pleased with the box.  I'm thinking of changing my QRX system to Phoenix!
Brian Wynn
Broadway Music Inc.
www.broawaymusicinc.com
(219) 712-7086
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.