ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Help] Countryman E6 Omni or Directional? What Sensitivity?  (Read 2973 times)

Justin Philip

Hey guys..haven't posted here in a while.

Church: ~400 people
2 JBL floor monitors on stage. Stage is ~25 x 25ft

We have a Sennheiser EW series with a lavalier. We wanted to upgrade to a countryman headset to get some more volume.

On the bodypack with our lavalier (ME 4 cardioid clip-on), we put the sensitivity at -20dB. I tried the -10dB but way too much feedback.

this is the text from the manual.
Loud music/vocals: -30 / -20 dB
Presentations: -20 / -10 dB
Interviews: -10 / 0 dB

So my question is..when I get the countryman, should I stick with a directional mic or get an omni? Also how does the sensitivity thing work, like if i get a E6 that's -20db..what setting do I put the transmitter on?  Confused

lil confused..so any help is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Clayton Luckie

Re: [Help] Countryman E6 Omni or Directional? What Sensitivity?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 11:43:21 AM »

The omni will require a less scrutinizing placement (you don't have to be so exact with where it sits on the face), and may sound more natural, but will be more prone to feedback.  The Cardioid requires a careful placement on the face, but will be less prone to feedback in most cases.

The sensitivities on the mic should be chosen based on the volume of what your source is.  If it is loud singing, get the least sensitive version, if its quiet speaking, get the most sensitive version.  If it's going to be a little of everything, get the one in the middle.

You should not think of the switch on the transmitter pack as a "sensitivity", per se.  You should think of it as the level at which the audio gets transmitted the the receiver.  You want to be transmitting at the highest level without overloading the receiver.  Also, the switch doesn't have as much to do with feedback as your mixer does.  If you flip the switch from -20 to -10, then turn the gain on the mixer channel down 10dB, you're at the same level (with a better signal to noise ratio, I think).

Going from lavs to E6s changed my world for the better.  Enjoy!

cl

Justin Philip

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:08:21 PM »

I never used a omni directional lav or headset so I have no clue how much feedback I might get.

So say I choose the Omni -10db E6. I would have to experiment with the sensitivity settings on the transmitter to figure out the best setting is right?

The pastor speaks pretty loud, not a calm quiet person for sure.  Smile Also when the band is playing, he likes to talk in between kinda.

Whats the popular choice when people get an E6?

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 12:30:26 PM »

I would err on the side of less sensitive.  I'd go for the one in the middle.  If it's not sensitive enough, you can always boost the gain a bit, but if he's clipping the mic capsule, there's not much you can do but work with placement or buy a different mic.

One note:  Always be VERY CAREFUL with these mics.  I've had a few capsules break off of them.  Always coil the cables neatly and store them in their cases.  They can break on you pretty easily, and if you're in my situation, you won't realize it until it's Easter and you see the pastor's lips moving, but there's no sound!

cl

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:40:14 PM »

Why not go to Countryman's website and have a look-see?

http://www.countryman.com/store/product.asp?id=6&catid=1 0

Use the drop-downs...  They can help you select the right mic.  If you're still uncertain, you can call Countryman.  Very nice folks there, and will help you select the mic that's right for your use.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Justin Philip

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:41:47 PM »

Thanks Clayton.

Do you use an Omni or Directional? I am leaning towards the cardiod one.

• -10: vocals and strong speaking
• -20: the most powerful vocals

so now I just have to decide -20 or - 10 because 0 is disaster waiting to happen.

Also do you use a windscreen on yours?

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 12:48:53 PM »

I used Omni E6s on corporate talking-head people, in a movie theater with the presenters in front of the screen (they were standing IN FRONT of the loudspeakers).  No GBF issues that couldn't be dealt with by applying the normal PEQ tools.

Mind you, that's STANDING IN FRONT OF THE PA.

See if you can rent the omni and cardioid versions to test.  You also might find it useful to have both patterns in your inventory for a guest speaker.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Clayton Luckie

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »

I use omnis, but that doesn't mean you should.  I'd take Tim's advice and contact Countryman if you have specific questions.  

I only use the windscreen when I have to.  Different people disperse air about their mouths differently.  I try to fix any breath noise with placement first, then with the windscreen.  There are a few pastors here who can't talk without completely encompassing their face with air, so I must use the windscreen.  

cl

Justin Philip

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 01:06:59 PM »

I just called countryman and they told me to get the Cardiod, -10db since they can lower the sensitivity but can't go the other way.

I told them that the crowd gets loud along with the pastor, also he tries to talk over the band sometimes during musical breaks.

Thanks for the help guys.

I got other problems I am fixing (getting new subs) which requires a new thread.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 20 queries.