ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Blackbox Switches for Cobranet (was: equipment mounted in ceiling spaces)  (Read 9037 times)

Phil LaDue

Re: equipment mounted in ceiling spaces
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 12:08:51 PM »

Jason Lavoie wrote on Mon, 09 July 2007 11:56

thanks for the tip. anyone know if they have a reseller in Canada?

Try calling some of these numbers, or the US headquarters.
http://www.blackbox.com/Contact_Us/country-offices.aspx?ccod e=CA

John Birchman, CTS

• http://www.jrbtechnical.com/
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 01:11:32 PM »

Black Box Canada:

http://www.blackboxcanada.ca/

2225 Sheppard Ave. E.
16th Floor.
Toronto, ON M2J 5C2 - Canada
Ph: (416) 490-7100/ 1-800-667-6625, Tech Support 1-800-355-8002

If you know the exact distance of Fiber that you need, you can get that through Black Box as well, with the connectors already on ready to go. They have OPTISOK  sleeves that you use to pull connectorized fiber through conduit (as long as the conduit is big enough).

Black Box may be a bit more in price (they say they will beat any price), but most items include FIDO protection.  So if it is accidentally damaged during installation, you can get a free replacement from them, not many companies do this.  And pre-sale and tech support is great as well.  They are happy to help you with anything that you are not sure of, or they may even suggest a better way to solve the problem.

Good luck!

John
John Birchman, CTS
Freelance AV and Stage Technician
JRB Technical
Lake Buena Vista, FL

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 02:12:43 PM »

that's awesome. thanks for the help guys..
I assume someone has tried these devices with Cobranet before? I hear sometimes it can be picky.

Robert Sims

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 09:55:57 PM »

Jason,
Hotels here in Vegas use the fiber method a lot. They just have enough money to use real fiber switches. Cobranet is actually the only thing that seems to be stable me when operating in the IP world. Just keep other traffic off the path.

One lesson learned about cobranet. If you loose the primary, secondary kicks in with no drop out. Just hope the primary doesn't reconnect during anything important. It'll drop out during the re-negotiation period. (a few seconds). It would be nice to offer a manual reset on the primary.

Robert
Robert Sims

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2007, 11:11:23 PM »

I'll be using Symnet cobranet DSP boxes, so there is no secondary.
although there are only four boxes in the whole system, and with those blackbox media converter/switches that were recommended I can have two cobranet boxes at each end of my fiber without the use of any additional network hardware. so it should be a pretty simple and stable network.

Jason

Jason Lavoie

Blackbox brand switches for Cobranet
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 02:53:49 PM »

Sorry to drag this up again, but I had decided to go with the media converter/switch from blackbox mentioned above, but I would like to hear from at least one person who has used their switches successfully with Cobranet.

everyone I ask gives me wishy washy answers, and either says only to use really expensive switches, or only switches from brand X

the problem is, I really don't want to put an expensive switch (most of which are 48 ports) at each end only two plug in two devices each.

Does the amount of traffic affect things? the traffic will be limited to 4 multicast bundles (9 channels total) and 3 unicast bundles (5 channels total) if that helps.

Any experience would be appreciated, or even if someone has one of these switches they could try out to save me buying one just to find out it won't work.

Thanks.
Jason

Kent Clasen

Re: Blackbox brand switches for Cobranet
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 10:59:20 PM »

Jason Lavoie wrote on Wed, 25 July 2007 19:53

Sorry to drag this up again, but I had decided to go with the media converter/switch from blackbox mentioned above, but I would like to hear from at least one person who has used their switches successfully with Cobranet.

everyone I ask gives me wishy washy answers, and either says only to use really expensive switches, or only switches from brand X

the problem is, I really don't want to put an expensive switch (most of which are 48 ports) at each end only two plug in two devices each.

Does the amount of traffic affect things? the traffic will be limited to 4 multicast bundles (9 channels total) and 3 unicast bundles (5 channels total) if that helps.

Any experience would be appreciated, or even if someone has one of these switches they could try out to save me buying one just to find out it won't work.

Thanks.
Jason

Jason, I haven't used that box.  This is one that is good and is not very big, it would fit in an 8x8 pull box:

HP J4097B ProCurve Switch 408

I didn't read all of the posts.  I believe that CN states that the maximum recommended multicast bundles is 4, so you are at the max, but would need to see your setup to be sure.

Have you tried calling Symetrix and asking them for a recommendation?

Kent Clasen
MSM Systems
Design & Installation

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2007, 12:30:51 PM »

thanks for the recommendation. does that box run on DC? ie: can I feed DC down the conduit instead of having to add an outlet near the pull box?
if that is the case then it may well work for me.

as for bundles. that's the total number of bundles in my network. not necessarily from one box, so I think I'm still well under the max.

I have called Symetrix but they are very hesitant to recommend anything (especially since they didn't design cobranet they just license it)

Jason

Kent Clasen

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2007, 02:27:44 PM »

Jason Lavoie wrote on Sat, 28 July 2007 17:30

thanks for the recommendation. does that box run on DC? ie: can I feed DC down the conduit instead of having to add an outlet near the pull box?
if that is the case then it may well work for me.

as for bundles. that's the total number of bundles in my network. not necessarily from one box, so I think I'm still well under the max.

I have called Symetrix but they are very hesitant to recommend anything (especially since they didn't design cobranet they just license it)

Jason

Jason, yes it has a wall wart.

As far as Multicast bundle limits, what I have been told is that all units (if they are all on the same network) receive the multicast bundles, regardless of if they have the been programmed to receive it, then they look at it and ignore it if not, but this is what eats up your bandwidth.  I believe all of the specs for Cobranet can be found at www.cobranet.info

This is also good reading:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/downloads/documents/yss/yss_wp 2_en.pdf
Kent Clasen
MSM Systems
Design & Installation

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2007, 06:00:48 PM »

Kent Clasen wrote on Sat, 28 July 2007 14:27

Jason, yes it has a wall wart.

As far as Multicast bundle limits, what I have been told is that all units (if they are all on the same network) receive the multicast bundles, regardless of if they have the been programmed to receive it, then they look at it and ignore it if not, but this is what eats up your bandwidth.  I believe all of the specs for Cobranet can be found at www.cobranet.info

I guess it would be good to know if I have a network with 4 devices and a signal that has to get to two of the 4, am I better off with one multicast bundle, or two unicast bundles with only one channel each? I'm using more channels but fewer bundles. it seems like duplication, but if it keeps the data flow to only the 2 boxes that require it then it may be better right?

I understand how bundles work, but I don't understand why it is important to bundle signals together other than keeping track.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.