ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: flown sub  (Read 3167 times)

adrian perez

flown sub
« on: June 26, 2007, 06:55:21 PM »

just finished an install the owner wants more floor space, he want to fly his subs what we originally installed is not flyable im looking for something that will handle a room of 500 capacity and then some, trying to stick to eaw if possible

Phil LaDue

Re: flown sub
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 08:14:14 PM »

One(or two) of these maybe?
http://www.eaw.com/products/SB1000z.html

adrian perez

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 03:20:10 AM »

thanks for the reply thats what i have been looking at right now there are 3 DCS2 and i personally think its barely enough whats gonna happen when we get something off the floor wouldnt i need twice as much as whats there now??

Tom Young

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 06:11:47 AM »

Moving a sub from the floor to up in the air means there will be 6dB less acoustic output *unless* you put the sub against a rigid ceiling or against a rigid wall.

Each rigid boundary you are against adds 6dB.

Rigid = cinder block, cast concrete, composite of tongue&groove plank with ample studs or rafters or a sheetrock and stud construction with double thickness and pour-foam between studs, which are on 12" centers.

Sheetrock structures (as normally fabricated) will become diaphragmatic (will sympathetically vibrate) and ceiling tiles will be close to benign. These both add no acoustic gain and may 'suck out' at some frequencies.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2007, 08:08:09 AM »

It depends.  Yes you loose output, but at what distance?  If you fly them, you will get a smoother coverage as more people will be a more equal distance from the subs.  If they are on the ground it will generally (room dependant) be louder the closer you get to the subs.

So it really is position dependant as to how much extra you will need.  As is all things audio, it is not as simple as seems, when you tak into account all the factors.

BTW in my installs I fly my subs whenever possible (and there are lots of variables that come into account with this) as I am most concerned with even coverage.  I prefer the sound of ground stacked subs when up close (it is just more fun). Yes there may be a little lack of "punch" when flown, but even coverage is often more important.

But it depends on the situation/ needs/ restrictions etc.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

adrian perez

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »

thanks for your reply guys the height of this room is about 18' high what about front loaded or horn loaded subs

Tim Padrick

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 12:45:14 AM »

Make sure that they are either within 2 feet of the ceiling, or at least 6 to 8 feet from the ceiling, lest you get boundary cancellation in the desired passband.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.