ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LAB horn stacking Options  (Read 36501 times)

Jeff Woodford

LAB horn stacking Options
« on: June 10, 2007, 07:03:53 PM »

I currently have 6 labs that I either use in one line of six, with mid tops stacked ontop as a mono stack, or split into 2 stacks of 3 wide for stereo stack applications.

In the next month I'll have another 6 labs ready for action, so will be able to do 2 stacks of 6 labs.

My question to the forum is as follows:

When stacking 6 labs has anyone tried going 2 wide, 3 high laying the labs on their sides. I'm thinking of doing this as a way of getting the sub over the heads of the audience to "throw it" a bit further and also raise the high of the mid-tops.

Would like to hear people thoughts on this.

Jeff.
Jeff Woodford
Technical Sales
LMC Audio Systems.
London, UK.

kevinnemrava

Re: LAB horn stacking Options
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 08:00:39 PM »

I currently have 6 working labs. For my gigs I almost always stack them 3 high (on their side) and place my 2 tops on top of them.

It does work out to be a very good hight.

Kevin.

Sam Venning

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 07:55:44 PM »

"Would like to hear people thoughts on this."

3 Labs per side... Chuck some power into them and you (and your audience) wont be hearing much of anything for a while  Laughing

Wish i had the funds and the power tools to make some LABS, not sure where i'd find driver down under though  Rolling Eyes

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2007, 09:41:10 PM »

Jeff Woodford wrote on Mon, 11 June 2007 00:03

I currently have 6 labs that I either use in one line of six, with mid tops stacked ontop as a mono stack, or split into 2 stacks of 3 wide for stereo stack applications.

In the next month I'll have another 6 labs ready for action, so will be able to do 2 stacks of 6 labs.

My question to the forum is as follows:

When stacking 6 labs has anyone tried going 2 wide, 3 high laying the labs on their sides. I'm thinking of doing this as a way of getting the sub over the heads of the audience to "throw it" a bit further and also raise the high of the mid-tops.

Would like to hear people thoughts on this.

Jeff.

The lab subs are horns so anyone who has dealt with horns will be able to answer your question.

Such a configuration (Two wide, Three high) will give you are narrower beam width. This will give you a better control.

Even with labs stacked three high, that's still short unless, your compression drivers are 10 - 12 feet in the air.

What about stacking the Lab Subs three across standing up and, placing the other three directly on top standing up? Not only will you have an even tighter beam width, but also the Lab Subs will now be close to 8 feet tall instead being short of 6 feet. You can then, throw your Mid-High cabinets on top, which should have your compression drivers around 12 - 14 feet in the air.  

I’ve helped a DJ last summer, doing the above configuration, and it eliminated the spilling of the bass on the sides, and the compression drivers were 12 feet in the air.
Elliot

Jeff Woodford

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2007, 11:56:08 AM »

At the moment I am using Some ASS kick bins on top of my labs, then Turbosound Flash light, when stacked like in the picture the HF is nice and high. And there is some upper bass getting over the heads of the crowd.

In the furture I am looking at getting some Turbosound Aspect 880H, I have had them out on demo stacked ontop of labs and for a small venue the hight is not a problem. But when I do bigger out door gigs then i think having the bass stacked higher and the tops higher will give more throw over the crowd.

index.php/fa/9723/0/
Jeff Woodford
Technical Sales
LMC Audio Systems.
London, UK.

Elliot Thompson

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 08:29:27 AM »

Your method (Laying them on the sides) would be better seeing that you are using mid bass cabinets to elevate your tops. That should have the Lab Sub's total height where those ASS kick horns are sitting in the picture.

It's always good to raise your tops as high as you can manage when doing outside events. And try to stay as vertical as possible. You’ll have better control that way.

Best Regards,

Elliot

Jeff Woodford

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 12:55:22 PM »

I'm basically looking to stop using the 2x15 kick bins and just use the Turbo aspect for mid bass, they go down to 101hz so the labs can be crossed over there and the system is then a 4 way rather than 5 way.

I'd rather it was always 5 way, the labs/aspect are ok on the mid bass but really do need a proper mid bass cab in there but it just takes up too much van space with the additional large bass bins.

Once I have 12 labs up and running I'l give it a go 3 high and see what it works like.
Jeff Woodford
Technical Sales
LMC Audio Systems.
London, UK.

Jeff Woodford

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 06:13:23 PM »

Well here they are, the next 6 labs. Should have them painted and loaded in the next 2 weeks ready for a pack of 12, 4 wide 3 high + bass and tops at the Notting Hill Carnival at the end of August. Much looking forward to that.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/JNineBar/SSA50693.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/JNineBar/SSA50706.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t161/JNineBar/SSA50696.jpg
Jeff Woodford
Technical Sales
LMC Audio Systems.
London, UK.

Scott Waldy

• http://myweb.cableone.net/boisesound
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 06:31:03 PM »

DROOL!
Scott W.

"Relax, We'll fix it in the mix....

"I think it takes alot more "SKILLS" to be a Dj than a Sound man." - J. Gop, 2007

Boise Sound Services

James Lawford

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2007, 04:43:33 PM »

Jeff,

Looking good mate, are you going to have your Flash on the gig or Aspect? How many K10's are you chucking at this lot??!
James Lawford -Birmingham England
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.