ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: got growlers? i want reviews + pics!  (Read 64671 times)

josh cohen

• http://www.weloveshift.com
Re: got growlers? i want reviews + pics!
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 10:13:22 PM »

Matt Jordan wrote on Wed, 27 June 2007 21:04

I can demo Growlers in Boise, ID.  I just took delivery on 2 units, and will be the Northwestern  Growler dealer.  Four words.  I am VERY impressed.  Thanks Jeff

boise is a loooooong way from new orleans.
Josh Cohen
Sense Sound / Shift Industries
New Orleans, La

Phil LaDue

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:27:48 PM »

josh sense wrote on Wed, 27 June 2007 22:13

Matt Jordan wrote on Wed, 27 June 2007 21:04

I can demo Growlers in Boise, ID.  I just took delivery on 2 units, and will be the Northwestern  Growler dealer.  Four words.  I am VERY impressed.  Thanks Jeff

Nahh, it's only 2221.88 miles

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 03:04:14 PM »

Phil LaDue wrote on Wed, 27 June 2007 20:27

At Mach 1 it should take about 2 hours and 53 minutes for the sound to get there. Fire them up!

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Roy Tamanaha

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 04:58:48 PM »

There have already been so many positive things said about the JTR Growlers on PSW so please forgive any redundancy in this post. But for anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to hear and/or use with these subs, I want to share my recent experiences with you. My take is from a slightly different angle…..I purchased twelve of these great little cabs.

I started out by purchasing four Growlers from Jeff (great guy, easy to work with, and very knowledgeable), and was so impressed that I ended up purchasing twelve in all.

My reason for acquiring so many was to have the extra head room if needed for a large outdoor event that took place this past Memorial Day with 5000+ in attendance. As it turned out, I believe that we could have gotten by with just eight (four a side). The Growlers are very efficient and capable of high power handling.
We setup the Growlers in L-R clusters, mouths coupled, with eight Martin H3s on top. The system slammed! It required very little EQ and in fact, we ran the low end flat to the cut-off freq….around 35Hz. The output from the Growlers was incredible!
The lineup for the event included everything from jazz, to rap, to a high octane (but great!) rock band which included former members of Oingo Boingo. The Growlers pounded out the low end with extension and output that rivaled or beat any of the best dual 18”s we’ve used in the past and with much better sound quality! At about 500 ft back from the stage, the low end pounding was still very pronounced.  
Other than some stage and power problems, the event went very well. Lots of compliments on the sound system from both the audience and performers alike (lots of references to how “fat” and “full” the system sounded) and we were offered the contract for next year’s event.  

The Growlers are amazing subs especially when you consider their size, and keep in mind they’re loaded with a single twelve! They produce what I can only describe as a very in-your-face wavefront that for lack of a better term, “growls”. The sound is full, with the kind of impact that you would expect from front loaded subs. I can't get over how much I appreciate the immense sound from such a small package! Not being the youngest guy in the sound business, size and weight have become very important considerations when contemplating purchases and upgrades.

Of course, we’ve used the Growlers on a smaller scale, one or two a side for indoor corporate gigs. The bands are usually bass heavy, seven to nine pieces, for crowds ranging from 300 to 500. We’ve had no problem filling the rooms with plenty of punchy low end that keeps the dancers on the dance floor.

Needless to say, as a satisfied customer I'm very impressed with the JTR Growlers. If you have an opportunity to hear them, I urge you to go check them out. It'd be worth your time, money, and maybe your back! Can't tell you how many times we've seen smiles appear on the faces of drummers and bassists during sound check owing to the fat sound that the Growlers deliver!
Jeff’s other cabinets are due out soon and I hope to check them out as well….. a pair of his tops to start with and possibly expand from there.

I want to second Mike Christy’s “big thank you” to the folks who organized the NY shootout! It was through the shootout that I first became aware of the Growlers. The shootout was very well done and the information, discussions, and observations that followed have been invaluable to all of us who couldn’t attend.

Note to folks on the west coast: if you are attending the upcoming National Guitar Workshop in L.A., the Growlers will be used by McClendon Audio Inc. for all the live performances.  

Best regards,

Roy

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 09:28:38 PM »

One of my "Growler" gigs, this one outdoors, they easily outrun the tops and I find myself constantly throttling them back... they seem to have a personality of their own...

index.php/fa/9953/0/
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Dave Rickard

« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 09:50:34 PM »

Michael 'Bink' Knowles wrote on Thu, 28 June 2007 13:04

Phil LaDue wrote on Wed, 27 June 2007 20:27

At Mach 1 it should take about 2 hours and 53 minutes for the sound to get there. Fire them up!

-Bink

It depends on if the Growlers have "fast" bass or not  Laughing
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Matt Jordan

• http://www.maxxsoundsaudio.com
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 04:59:41 AM »

I just shut them down, you'll be hearing them soon....Oh wait, I'm in a different time zone.... did we figure that in?
Matt Jordan
Maxxsounds audio
Boise, ID

"I'm glad I had a camera with me then."

http://www.maxxsoundsaudio.com

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 10:44:28 AM »

Roy Tamanaha wrote on Thu, 28 June 2007 15:58

There have already been so many positive things said about the JTR Growlers on PSW so please forgive any redundancy in this post. But for anyone who hasn't had the opportunity to hear and/or use with these subs, I want to share my recent experiences with you. My take is from a slightly different angle?..I purchased twelve of these great little cabs.

I started out by purchasing four Growlers from Jeff (great guy, easy to work with, and very knowledgeable), and was so impressed that I ended up purchasing twelve in all.

My reason for acquiring so many was to have the extra head room if needed for a large outdoor event that took place this past Memorial Day with 5000+ in attendance. As it turned out, I believe that we could have gotten by with just eight (four a side). The Growlers are very efficient and capable of high power handling.
We setup the Growlers in L-R clusters, mouths coupled, with eight Martin H3s on top. The system slammed! It required very little EQ and in fact, we ran the low end flat to the cut-off freq?.around 35Hz. The output from the Growlers was incredible!
The lineup for the event included everything from jazz, to rap, to a high octane (but great!) rock band which included former members of Oingo Boingo. The Growlers pounded out the low end with extension and output that rivaled or beat any of the best dual 18?s we?ve used in the past and with much better sound quality! At about 500 ft back from the stage, the low end pounding was still very pronounced.  
Other than some stage and power problems, the event went very well. Lots of compliments on the sound system from both the audience and performers alike (lots of references to how ?fat? and ?full? the system sounded) and we were offered the contract for next year?s event.  

The Growlers are amazing subs especially when you consider their size, and keep in mind they?re loaded with a single twelve! They produce what I can only describe as a very in-your-face wavefront that for lack of a better term, ?growls?. The sound is full, with the kind of impact that you would expect from front loaded subs. I can't get over how much I appreciate the immense sound from such a small package! Not being the youngest guy in the sound business, size and weight have become very important considerations when contemplating purchases and upgrades.

Of course, we?ve used the Growlers on a smaller scale, one or two a side for indoor corporate gigs. The bands are usually bass heavy, seven to nine pieces, for crowds ranging from 300 to 500. We?ve had no problem filling the rooms with plenty of punchy low end that keeps the dancers on the dance floor.

Needless to say, as a satisfied customer I'm very impressed with the JTR Growlers. If you have an opportunity to hear them, I urge you to go check them out. It'd be worth your time, money, and maybe your back! Can't tell you how many times we've seen smiles appear on the faces of drummers and bassists during sound check owing to the fat sound that the Growlers deliver!
Jeff?s other cabinets are due out soon and I hope to check them out as well?.. a pair of his tops to start with and possibly expand from there.

I want to second Mike Christy?s ?big thank you? to the folks who organized the NY shootout! It was through the shootout that I first became aware of the Growlers. The shootout was very well done and the information, discussions, and observations that followed have been invaluable to all of us who couldn?t attend.

Note to folks on the west coast: if you are attending the upcoming National Guitar Workshop in L.A., the Growlers will be used by McClendon Audio Inc. for all the live performances.  

Best regards,

Roy

Do you per chance have any pictures of this?  Becuase I'd love to see how that looked with 12 of these things  Shocked

Also I'm personally VERY interested in getting a pair of these - hopefully by Christmas - to replace my ES608s, which while I love them I'd like something that can go lower.  Plus I like the idea that Jeff is right here in the Chicago area!

How would a pair of Growlers compare with a Peavey QW218?
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

josh cohen

• http://www.weloveshift.com
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 06:36:49 PM »

Peter Etheredge wrote on Fri, 29 June 2007 09:44

Do you per chance have any pictures of this?  Becuase I'd love to see how that looked with 12 of these things  Shocked

Also I'm personally VERY interested in getting a pair of these - hopefully by Christmas - to replace my ES608s, which while I love them I'd like something that can go lower.  Plus I like the idea that Jeff is right here in the Chicago area!

How would a pair of Growlers compare with a Peavey QW218?

from the reviews above, it seems apparent that growlers are putting double 18" cabinets to shame, both in levels of output, and ease to  transport.. peter, since you and i both have the same size rig and mains, i think growlers would be ideal.

(im at the halfway point as far as saving up for a pair)
Josh Cohen
Sense Sound / Shift Industries
New Orleans, La

Roy Tamanaha

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2007, 02:19:22 PM »

Hi Peter,

Here are a couple of pictures from the Memorial Day event....I was hoping to post them sooner but couldn't figure out how to reduce the file size.
Regarding your other question, I'm sorry but don't recall using the QW218s. I'm sure that others here can chime in on that.
As another possibility, since Jeff is in your area, maybe the two of you can arrange a side by side evaluation.

Best Regards,
Roy
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 20 queries.