ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: got growlers? i want reviews + pics!  (Read 64886 times)

Brian Harden

Re: got growlers? i want reviews + pics!
« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2009, 11:02:49 AM »

Sometimes I'm amazed at my own capacity for idiocy!!! Embarassed
When I made that comment, I was only thinking about QSC- the speaker maker.  I somehow forgot about their little known  amplifier line.  Rolling Eyes

Rick Powell

« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2009, 02:04:53 AM »

I discussed this w/Jeff at JTR awhile back, only with Speakerpower modules.  He didn't seem to be interested in developing a powered version, and said the power would add about $1000 per cabinet.  He was also concerned about air leaks from adding a module, and thought powering from a separate amp was a much more desirable than self-powered from his perspective.  After all this, he said if you want to buy a Growler and void the warranty and hack it up to put a module in it, go ahead...

Speakerpower will not sell modules in small quantities, last time I checked.  They are a little more high powered than the QSC's and the DSP can be adjusted to the speaker, where with QSC's you are stuck with their factory module settings unless you alter the module.  The 40 Hz rumble filter and 100 Hz low pass point seem about right for the piece, though.  Not familiar with the other modules you mention.
Rick Powell
StudioLive 16:4:2
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Bag End TA15 Floor Monitors
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Jaraad Brown

« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2009, 07:33:52 AM »

I know this if off topic but I was able to meet Jeff in person at his Warehouse and he showed me the "supergrowler." It is a prototype so it isn't for sale yet, he is still working on it.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2009, 08:01:44 AM »

The speaker power modules DSP cannot be adjusted by the end user.  It is a preset type situation.  It can be programmed as needed by the manufacturer.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rick Powell

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2009, 08:37:17 AM »

Ivan,

You deal with the modules all the time, and I will defer to your knowledge, but I thought the Speakerpower modules could be set by the end user with a PC interface...however, the process is somewhat cumbersome, and must be done when the module is "out of box" and cannot be programmed on the fly like a Crown I-tech.  I believe Simon Coffin, who occasionally posts here and built some self-powered coax monitors with the Speakerpower modules, could chime in on this.  Or Brian Oppergaard, who actually builds 'em.

Also, looking at the Digmoda model previously mentioned...it looks like a re-badged Speakerpower module.

Rick Powell
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

"There are two types of people...those who divide people into two types, and those who don't."

Rick Powell

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2009, 09:17:38 AM »

Here's a download from Speakerpower's website explaining how to user-set the DSP.

http://www.speakerpower.net/PDF/DSP-Quickstart-Setup-and-ope ration-Rev-P.pdf
Rick Powell
JTR Triple 8 Mains
Danley TH115 Subwoofers
Crown xti6000/4000/2000

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »

On the older Speaker power units, it is purely a one way street.  First you have to have the physical adaptor needed to convert your computer.  Then there was the very coumbersom TI software.  It does NOT look like any DSP you have EVER seen.  It took me a bunch of questions to even figure out how to do a couple of basic things with it.  To change even one setting (say decrease by 1dB a filter)in the eq for example-it is like a 12 step or so process.  Then measure-and go through it again if needed.  VERY time consuming.

If you hook up your computer to a unit and turn it on, it will erase the stored data-and you will get no sound out of it.  You had better have a working program you can load into it.

You cannot "read" any data from the unit.

Brian has a new DSP out now that has ethernet control over a couple of the user functions.  But the "real workings" are set by him, and as of now, he is the only person who can program them.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

kevinjames

« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »

J. Brown wrote on Tue, 10 February 2009 03:33

I know this if off topic but I was able to meet Jeff in person at his Warehouse and he showed me the "supergrowler." It is a prototype so it isn't for sale yet, he is still working on it.

That looks great. I'd love to get more info on it.
Download my latest mixes here:
www.musicv2.com/artist/dj_kevin_james
New Mix added 4/12/08

Watch me spin live Saturday's 3-5 PM Pacific here:
[url]http://www.stickam.com/profile/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2009, 05:22:35 PM »

They have simular response as the growler, 103db 1 watt, 18mm 13ply baltic birch, 120 lbs, 36" x 22.5" x 25" and loaded with a 15" driver 600watts continous/1200watts program, 17mm xmax. I'm holding for building them because I want a more powerful driver.

Mark Hobbs

« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2009, 10:37:34 PM »

Jeff Permanian wrote on Wed, 11 February 2009 16:22

They have simular response as the growler, 103db 1 watt, 18mm 13ply baltic birch, 120 lbs, 36" x 24" x 26" and load with a 15" driver 600watts continous/1200watts program, 17mm xmax. I'm holding for building them because I want a more powerful driver.

What about a growler with a pair of 10s? I seem to remember you telling me about the possibility of doing this.

The pair of 10s will displace just as much as the 15, they will fit in the enclosure of the standard growler. You get the power handling of the 2 voice coils (2000 watts program?), a weight increase of ~12 pounds and a sensitivity increase of 3db. This seems like a good way to go.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.