ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My first question  (Read 3821 times)

Scott Smith

Re: My first question
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 06:54:36 pm »

Will subs in "A" be under stage or behind a barrier, or will people be kicking them, sitting on them, and spilling their drinks on them?  Common sense should prevail.  Power alley is a small trade-off, and most bikers probably won't care either way.
"Percussive Maintenance" - Bang on it until it works!
Scott Smith, South Florida - MIXING OLD SCHOOL WITH NEW

Shaun Steele

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 07:40:24 pm »

Maybe its just here, but I find the biker crowd to be much more respectful of gear than people in the trendy rich kid clubs

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 08:02:20 pm »

"B" - Unless it's just one of those "poser" biker bars - the kind with the accountant's dressed in Harley gear with 20K rides.

If it's a 1 percenter party - everything stays as far from harm's way as possible.

MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Tim Padrick

Toby Mills

• http://www.np.co.nz
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2007, 12:06:36 am »

dude, if you got another pair of mid high cabs then its a no brainer.

Do A (so long as there is sub protection, if not, put them on the ground at the sides).
Then put your other pair of the S215Vs on top of the pair you already have, but put them upside down so the horns couple together.

You will throw your HF further, have plenty of bottom end and your mids will get to the back better with the elevation.

I've never used S215Vs but can't see any reason why they would not couple ok.

You might need a bit more EQ on your horns than normal because this will make a BIG difference to your high frequencies.

Cheers
Toby

index.php/fa/9459/0/

Quote:

Then why do they make flying subs?

They make them to augment ground stacks, you would almost always want ground stacks first and then to add to them with flown subs to get the distance and consistency. You need so much more power if you fly your subs its insane. Very few rigs (if any), (except maybe orchestras etc that aren't bass heavy) rely on flown subs exclusively.
noise productions ltd
www.np.co.nz
"can you please turn down the shit knob"

Rob Spence

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2007, 12:16:57 am »

I say "A" with getting the tops up high enough and put the subs on pallets in case of flooding from rain. Put a tarp on the pallet first layed out on the ground in front of the sub then fold it in close after the sub is in place. Then, if it rains you can just pull it out and push it over the top protecting the front of the subs.
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Aaron Seymour

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 10:18:51 am »

Thanks to everyone....I'll go with the "A" setup and tilt back the tops with a 2X4 under the front to get better coverage in the back.  I'm doing this show more as a favor (read: less money) for a friend at this place so I'm not inclined to bust out another set of tops unless I have too.  

These bikers are the respectful type...no 1% will be around.

Tim Brackett

• http://mountainvalleyproductionsystems.com
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2007, 01:35:55 pm »

Vince Byrne wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 17:31

Cons for flying subs:
- No half-plane loading = higher power required
- Can't center cluster = power alley and combing
- Indoors, ceiling reflections can really mess up performance

Flying subs against the ceiling can give the same half-plane loading as ground stacking and if there are rig points in the center there is no reason they can't be center clustered either.  This could be the best placement in some rooms.

Personally I have found that I prefer the sound with the tops aligned over the subs.  The power alley doesn't concern me too much because at almost all the gigs I do the audience has plenty of room to listen from where they want.  There are always those who will find their way to the center and those who will stand right next to one of the stacks.  Then I'll get people that will tell me that it sounds perfect back another 50 yards behind the mix position.  To me and I'm sure 99.99% of the rest of us here it wouldn't be but if thats what they like I won't argue.  I do the same thing at home in my living room.  If I am really listening intently and want to hear the full power of the bass I sit in the center on the couch with the back to the wall.  If I get up and go out of the room the whole house isn't rumbling with bass.  At a reserved seating event it would be a different story but I don't think that the great majority of us here are doing those.  

By the way, I would most likely go with "B" except stacked on the floor instead of the stage.  From your description I beleive this would put the horns right at head level at the very back of the space.  I don't see the point in trying to aim over the heads of the furthest listeners and considering the lower levels in the front those horns would be way too high for those up close.  

Vince Byrne

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007, 07:35:14 pm »

Tim Brackett wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 12:35

Flying subs against the ceiling can give the same half-plane loading as ground stacking and if there are rig points in the center there is no reason they can't be center clustered either.  This could be the best placement in some rooms.

Might not work with a drop ceiling though. Laughing

I'm with you. Done right it could rock.  

On the other hand it's probably more common to find church installs with subs 10 feet off the ceiling as part of a center cluster with 60Hz and 120Hz anamolies everywhere ...

Peace,
Vince

Aaron Seymour

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2007, 11:41:44 am »

Alright...I ran the "A" set up.  Sounded better than the last time there on the low end....thanks for the suggestions.  The band were extremely loud rock bands so I did have a time getting the vocals on top of the guitars but I managed.  Worst thing about the day is it was close to 100 degrees and I only brought two bottels of water (didn't expect that heat) and forgot to drink more.  I'm freaking beat today and all achy from dehidration.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 16 queries.