ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Versarray  (Read 208233 times)

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Peavey Versarray replacing Kf-850 setup
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2007, 10:20:36 AM »

Dave Lowum wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 00:49

I really don't want to come off snobbish, but I honestly think that you should have to pass some sort of test before being allowed to deploy lines by yourself.  I know experienced guys that blow off shooting the room in the software, and it hurts them.  Now that we have a product aimed at a market that may not have the chops even if they have the tools, I can see a serious danger ahead.  These are the same folk that will blithly and smilingly flat-front their trap boxes "because it's louder that way."  Letting them play with lines gives me the willies!  Okay, I'm off my soap-box now.

Please give me a moment to don my fire-retardant clothing...  Wink

This is not exactly a new issue for PV brand and probably responsible for the lions share of their reputation. A great deal of engineering effort is usually committed to anticipating how users are likely to deploy the gear. With any kind of arrayed speaker system there are always opportunities to get it wrong, I'm sure Marty and crew will provide training to dealers but it will be hard to get comprehensive training to end users cost effectively.

Not to give PV, merchandising advice, perhaps a tutorial on the website at least covering the basics would give the dealers somewhere to point their customers, some of whom will surely be over their head deploying these. IIRC most music stores feel their work is done when they close the sale and boxes are in the customer's possession.  

So far it appears they are capable of sounding good, or not. Better than never sounding good, but training will be useful.

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Don Boomer

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2007, 10:38:03 AM »

Hey ... a new marketing idea.  You gotta pass a test before you can get out your checkbook.  Somehow I don't think that will fly around here ... but I think we should apply it to anybody with a guitar that wants to buy a 4x12 stack Very Happy

I do go out and teach the system ... to dealers anyway.  In retrospect I wish that I had released a dedicated processor with everything locked down.  I was under the mistaken notion that if I offered a more versital, adjustable system that it would be used for the cause of truth, justice and the American way.  If V-dosc required it before they would sell you a system ... I wonder how many people they actually turned down.  I don't know how much it helped as I have heard very good systems and not so good systems.  Ya never know.
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Marty McCann

Re: Peavey Versarray
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2007, 11:16:46 AM »

Geri O'Neil wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 13:22

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 11:38

(snip) ...I still haven't heard these myself. I'm a little surprised they weren't in the local showcase venue (a restored old theater with great acoustics) when I was there a few months ago, but it's almost too small of a room to really need them and they're still new. (snip)

JR

Trust me, JR, that's a bit of a sore subject with me and I've gone to bat with the management several times to get the Versarray in there, temporarily or otherwise, and regardless if we put it in there or PV made the arrangements for it. That place has the Aesthetics Committee from hell! We ain't through, though. And one might land in there (maybe no thanx to us) when it's all said and done. There's a lot more going on there than we're involved in, no doubt.

Geri O

The equipment that was spec'd for the venue (Peavey AA ILS enclosures) was does a couple of years before the completion of the rennovation, and the VersArrays didn't exist.  

RE: "Aesthetics Committee"; like any building that is on the Historical Preservation list, there are multiple hoops to jump through.  It's amazing to me that they were able to modernize it to the degree that they did, otherwise there may still be gas stage lighting.  And in 1894 they didn't have Crest consoles either.

They were forced to keep to the original seating plan that results in some seats NOT even facing the stage directly.  Even in the mucky muck boxes, you can only see the far side of the stage.  Back in the Opera House days, people went there as much to be seen as to see the performance.

marty

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2007, 11:41:51 AM »

Don Boomer wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 09:38

Hey ... a new marketing idea.  You gotta pass a test before you can get out your checkbook.  Somehow I don't think that will fly around here ... but I think we should apply it to anybody with a guitar that wants to buy a 4x12 stack Very Happy

I do go out and teach the system ... to dealers anyway.  In retrospect I wish that I had released a dedicated processor with everything locked down.  I was under the mistaken notion that if I offered a more versital, adjustable system that it would be used for the cause of truth, justice and the American way.  If V-dosc required it before they would sell you a system ... I wonder how many people they actually turned down.  I don't know how much it helped as I have heard very good systems and not so good systems.  Ya never know.

The beauty of software based products is you can change your mind.

I even designed analog PV products where you could remove the knobs and pop in a hole plug to keep the wrong folks from adjusting things they shouldn't. Also made crossovers with screwdriver level controls to discourage use as system EQ.

When in doubt do what's right....

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »

First my apologies to any of you reading in tree view. I don't, and as such, I reply to the last post I see....

OK, the DSPs I had were running the stock settings for the boxes. There was no shading done via anything "inside" the dsp. I was told I could shade the boxes via level if I wanted. I never did that.

Boomer sez a 3 box rig is good for 2-300 ppl. That supports my earlier statement that any fewer than six, and I'm gonna use something else. I can do 500-750 or so with two of my boxes per side. What I CAN'T do with mine, is pile 6-8-12 of them up and have them get BETTER. They get louder, and more comby, nasty. The Versarray does not, it gets better and better.

My 6 box rig was covering an area easily 150' wide, and 200' deep, plus additional depth. I was a good 125' back, and there were folks seated behind me for another 75' or so. Behind them, I walked back to 300+ feet, and the rig was still VERY MUCH together and nice. How many folks were there, probably 1500 or so. I had it into the 97A-ish range at 125', and never felt the slightest bit of "pushed" sound from the rig. I will say that during my several conversations with Boomer, he's said the ribbons don't ever sound "pushed". They just go until they die. I was not into any limiting, however, so we'll assume I had some headroom left. Is that loud?? It is loud enough for me, and the clients I intend to work with.

A question was posed about 850s. They are a loud box. Will these get as loud at 1 meter as the 850s will?? Not on your life. Will they be as loud at 200'??? Given enough boxes, yes. Again, for me, my expectations, the magic number is "at least 6" per side. With that many, I have had zero issues reaching my SPL/distance/coverage goals. The one time I hung 3 per side, all we got to do was hear CD playback before we got rained out. It sounded great. I was not trying to cover a large area with that rig, so I would have been fine.

I just got off the phone with Boomer, and we had a nice wrap up to this road test. He is VERY interested in what we all have to say, good and bad, about this rig. I myself am VERY much considering buying this rig. I find that particularly ironic, as I was one of the first to go "hey look, PEAVEY's doing a ME TOO line array". Hey, it works, it sounds very good, it takes up very little space, and it is affordable.  

Still more to come, pics as well.

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2007, 04:53:09 PM »

Marty McCann wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 10:16
Geri O [/quote

The equipment that was spec'd for the venue (Peavey AA ILS enclosures) was done a couple of years before the completion of the rennovation, and the VersArrays didn't exist.  

RE: "Aesthetics Committee"; like any building that is on the Historical Preservation list, there are multiple hoops to jump through.  It's amazing to me that they were able to modernize it to the degree that they did, otherwise there may still be gas stage lighting.  And in 1894 they didn't have Crest consoles either.

They were forced to keep to the original seating plan that results in some seats NOT even facing the stage directly.  Even in the mucky muck boxes, you can only see the far side of the stage.  Back in the Opera House days, people went there as much to be seen as to see the performance.
marty

This is all true, I wasn't referring to the original spec, but a few (very few, really) acts had not necessarily balked at the existing system, but simply inquired about the possibility of bringing in another, in their minds anyway, more advanced system, with one act even mentioning the Versaary specifically. And when I brought it up, you woulda thought I insulted someone's mama in the worst possible way (and no, I don't know what that would be!) I've mixed a few events in there and the existing system does a pretty nice job. Now about that mix booth... Laughing  Laughing

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »

Don, I must say, I've dreamed of what the Versarray would sound like at the "Jazz in the Grove" event. For even that size of event, I'd still say at least 6 boxes a side (on Genies, you know the trucking I have... Laughing ) Yeah, I like long lines, too. Whataya think? Less? Might work on that for next year...

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Lee Jacobson

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2007, 10:13:43 PM »

I sent Bennett some more pics to put up. Hopefully he'll get them up soon.
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Lee Jacobson

« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2007, 12:13:02 PM »

Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Tim Padrick

« Reply #69 on: June 16, 2007, 06:27:28 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Thu, 14 June 2007 01:11

..... You make a good point, due to the price point of these, they may end up in the hands of inexperienced users who cause more problems than good with them due to lack of understanding what they are dealing with...... Jeff

This has been a problem for Peavey's since they started making PA gear.  One can make a listenable sound even with an original SP1 if he knows what he's doing.  As Peavey gear has always been comparatively affordable, it's usually been configured and driven by the under-qualified, and an undeserved reputation for poor performance has been the result.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 30   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 21 queries.