ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Versarray  (Read 208750 times)

Don Boomer

Re: Peavey Versarray
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2007, 10:51:31 AM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Tue, 12 June 2007 10:58

My only gripe is the lifts, they are a class-A pain in the ass. If I bought this rig, I'd get Genies, or Sumners

!

I think "PITA" is a little overstated.  The point was to provide an affordable unit.  Yes ... it takes more effort to assemble the Vermette unit but on the other hand since you can break it down into smaller pieces thereby reducing the weight (should you have to wrangle it by yourself) it may be a better answer for some users.  I often use Genies because they will carry more weight (more speaker boxes) and go up higher.  If you checkbook says OK then go on ahead ... it's fine with me.

We're not really in the lift business but I did want to provide users, especially those that usually do their shopping at music stores, a way to actually fly this system ... not just drop some boxes in their lap.

Hey ... where's the pictures? Rolling Eyes
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Marty McCann

« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »

Just to let anybody who may be interested in hearing an 8-Hang version of the VersArray system, it will be at the AthFest in Athens Georgia (for the 2nd year).  Dates are June 22 - 24th.

Marty

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2007, 12:38:04 PM »

Thanks for taking the time to share... while there's no such thing as a good complaint it is perhaps instructive when a speaker complaint is not about sound quality. Or perhaps the lift system is truly that bad. In my experience PV distribution is not quick to embrace things some professional customers take for granted so if a corner had to be cut, better IMO to not degrade sonic performance. Serious pro customers, if they manage to overcome their distaste for the badge can upgrade to genie lifts or whatever makes them happy. It's only money.  Laughing

I still haven't heard these myself. I'm a little surprised they weren't in the local showcase venue (a restored old theater with great acoustics) when I was there a few months ago, but it's almost too small of a room to really need them and they're still new. So guys keep those reports coming in. I'd be interested to hear specifics of DL's experience and what he is comparing them to. It appears these like lots of power, that amp complement is not exactly slapping a few CS800s on them. I hope the PV faithful get the hint and drive these properly so we don't get more of the PV negative halo from poor application.

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2007, 02:22:38 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 11:38

(snip) ...I still haven't heard these myself. I'm a little surprised they weren't in the local showcase venue (a restored old theater with great acoustics) when I was there a few months ago, but it's almost too small of a room to really need them and they're still new. (snip)

JR

Trust me, JR, that's a bit of a sore subject with me and I've gone to bat with the management several times to get the Versarray in there, temporarily or otherwise, and regardless if we put it in there or PV made the arrangements for it. That place has the Aesthetics Committee from hell! We ain't through, though. And one might land in there (maybe no thanx to us) when it's all said and done. There's a lot more going on there than we're involved in, no doubt.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2007, 02:24:13 PM »

I agree with you, Don, the Vermettes should go into a trailer a hell of a lot easier than an ST-24 or 25. Believe me, we know...

Geri O

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »

OK, so I got a demo of the versarray tops today from the Peavey rep (tops only, no subs, so we used Yorkville tx9's (dual 18).

We played a variety of tracks through the system as well as tested out a few favourite mics.

I will sum it up like this -
If these boxes could go into a "blind test" against other boxes on the market, I can almost guarantee they would place very well, maybe not at the very top, but certainly high on the list.  I have heard rigs costing inordinately more that were far less impressive.

Lee said it well, these boxes are REALLY SMOOTH.  The HF performance is wonderful, very rich and detailed, and the transition from the dual ribbons to the 12" seemed very smooth as well.  We just listened to 4 cabs, and the output was far better than I expected for such a small rig.

It's a shame that the Peavey name will be an obstacle for some people.  This is a GREAT PRODUCT, at a REALLY GREAT PRICE.  If you are skeptical because of your preconceived ideas of Peavey products, you really owe it to yourself to listen to these boxes.  Did I mention the price!

Re the vermette lift, I didn't see one first hand, but the rep had photos of the assembly process.  There are better choices in lifts, I think a genie is better suited and will go higher, but hey, the vermette would work I suppose.

Another thing, if you buy these and use them in a mobile situation, get the quick release pins, it will save a ton of time.

I have a number of applications where these will be a very good fit and i have no issues in recommending this product.  Peavey has really done a great job on these, and i commend them for it.

Feel free to ask questions if you have them and i can try to help.

Cheers
Jeff

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2007, 02:51:45 PM »

Geri O'Neil wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 13:22

Trust me, JR, that's a bit of a sore subject with me and I've gone to bat with the management several times to get the Versarray in there, temporarily or otherwise, and regardless if we put it in there or PV made the arrangements for it. That place has the Aesthetics Committee from hell! We ain't through, though. And one might land in there (maybe no thanx to us) when it's all said and done. There's a lot more going on there than we're involved in, no doubt.

Geri O

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing   Yeah after 20 years I forget that there's something in water down here that makes people so disagreeable and hard headed...  Whatever,, the theater is a sweet sounding room and would make a nice showcase, but I do recall how screwy and counter productive the local politics is...

I guess if they wanted historical accuracy they should return to gas lamps and acoustic acts only..   Rolling Eyes

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Phil LaDue

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2007, 02:53:06 PM »

Jeff Babcock wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 14:34

It's a shame that the Peavey name will be an obstacle for some people. This is a GREAT PRODUCT, at a REALLY GREAT PRICE.

Maybe they should start slapping some Crest name badges on the demo rigs as an experiment.

Geri O'Neil

« Reply #48 on: June 13, 2007, 03:35:39 PM »

[quote title=John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Wed, 13 June 2007 13:51

I guess if they wanted historical accuracy they should return to gas lamps and acoustic acts only..   Rolling Eyes

JR
[/quote]

And imagine my popularity status there when I told them that very thing!... Laughing  Laughing

well, someone had to...

Geri O

Renard Hurtado

Re: Peavey Versarray replacing Kf-850 setup
« Reply #49 on: June 13, 2007, 06:51:55 PM »

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I have no doubt that the high freq. section is very nice sounding with good projection etc.

For me to get an idea what this system could replace in my inventory:

If i were to replace a set-up consisting of three KF-850 (or APOGEE 3x3) cabinets + 3 double 18" sub cabinets per side , what size of a versarray set-up would you recommend?

Thanks for satisfying my inquiring mind

Renard Hurtado
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.