ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Versarray  (Read 208214 times)

John Roberts {JR}

Re: Peavey Versarray
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 10:38:02 AM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 21:29

You quoted me too fast.  Gee, thanks.

Yes, it leaves a bitter taste.  I was told by to see a local dealer, who would have to order for stock, the demo I wanted.  No local dealer was willing to take the risk, and I think it silly that I have to try out of state dealers who don't know our firm.

WE ARE PROFESSIONAL END USERS.  Not a church committee, a municipal council, or other indecisive, wishy-washy buyer.  And we have both cash and excellent credit.

I was unaware of Lee's oratory prowess.  I will take notes. Wink

Tim Mc

p.s. Obviously, the offer to buy is now off the table.  It will take some serious convincing.

This has long been a source of frustration for people at every step of the sales chain (trust me), but historically success has come from a pricing model that doesn't support that level of promotion. Whether its a chicken or egg phenomenon, this has precluded penetration in categories where that is the only game in town. You can't have it both ways, high price stroking, with low invoice. The product will be a good value precisely because it doesn't come with 3 lap dances and a toddy.

It seems to me if there are so many high probability sales that would close from a simple show and tell, and these were collecting cobwebs in a warehouse somewhere, adjustments would be made, I suspect that is not the case. It sounds like there is a dealer distribution perhaps limited in their ability to each field a proper demo system, and/or some uncertainty about whether all these willing buyers will really sign on the line.

This may be an opportunity for an enterprising early adopter to negotiate an even better deal with a small dealer who desperately needs a demo system. The dealer cuts the first customer a better price to get a system in his territory, in exchange the  dealer can send potential customers to shows to hear the system in use.

Of course this involves multiple leaps of faith and involves ASSumptions about customers and dealers. If customers want the high end touches, expect to pay the high end prices. It is my speculation that customers would never pay the fully loaded ticket for this badge, so providing full ticket service anticipating a sudden change of heart would be bad business judgement. This may be a self fulfilling prophecy but consumer perceptions are incredibly difficult to change once established.

If these speakers really do what they are supposed to do, and are a fair price, don't invent some unintended slight to preclude giving them a fair shot. Or you could always wait till somebody else in your area buys one, and check it out at their show.

JR    
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 11:52:55 AM »

JR-

If Hartley says "sell it this way" that's what will happen.  My disappointment comes from finding out there *is* a rig for the Road Test but not being told so.

Hearing a system deployed and operated by someone else is like taking a car for a test ride, rather than a test DRIVE.  The BadTastingLiquorFest
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 01:19:21 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 10:52

JR-

If Hartley says "sell it this way" that's what will happen.  My disappointment comes from finding out there *is* a rig for the Road Test but not being told so.

Hearing a system deployed and operated by someone else is like taking a car for a test ride, rather than a test DRIVE.  The BadTastingLiquorFest

-----

Cory 'Rooster' McKinnon

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 04:32:15 PM »

Lee,
  Good luck with the Road Test. I'll look forward to hearing what you have to say about this system.

What is the price point for the Tops and Subs?
----
"Words, like eyeglasses, blur everything that they do not make clear"
                                   Joseph Joubert

Phil LaDue

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 04:49:17 PM »

Cory 'Rooster' McKinnon wrote on Thu, 31 May 2007 16:32

What is the price point for the Tops and Subs?

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?&s=Versarray& amp;sb=catalogprice&so=asc

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2007, 08:18:53 PM »

I saw a question about the distro, so here goes. It is NOT the new Peavey "rackpack" type distro. It is a custom buit unit, mini cam in/thru. Outs include edison, L5-30, and 50A/240V twistlock deals. Interestingly, the breakers appear to be magnetic switch things. I have not cracked the distro open. I DO plan to, don't tell Boomer! The other thing I noticed re: power distro is that each amp rack is fed with a single 50A/240V twist. Sounds like a bunch of juice, right?? Each amp rack has FOUR Crest 9200s, two 5200s, and a pair of VSX26s. Also of note, there appears to be no breakers in the amp racks, at least none I can see from the outside. This is not as uncommon in touring rigs as logic might suggest. I happen to be of the mindset that you want each amp on its own branch circuit, via a "rackpack" type distro. This way, if one amp in the rack shits the bed in such a way as to trip a breaker, it won't kill the whole rack. I know Randy had that happen on a tour with either Cyberlogic or some other euro-amp. To this day, or at least last time I worked with him, his amp racks are not individual branch circuits. Not picking on Randy here, just illustrating the fact that the way these racks are wired is not all that uncommon. I've seen LOTS of racks that way. Mine, no, but others....

I played with the crank stands today, and flew 6 boxes. Nice rigging. The stands are not just a "crank 'em up" affair, but they assemble into a 13' tall mast, which the "cradle" rides up and down. You undo a bit of cable, then pull the top of the mast off, and add in two pieces of mast, then reassemble the thing. Takes longer to type than to do. FIGURING OUT how to do it the first time, however, took a few tries~! The boxes go together real quick, and setting the angles is a snap, or a click of the pics, if you prefer.

My plan for tomorrow, again mostly due to the power I have to tie into, is to hang 6 boxes per side, but only run the top 4, over one sub per side. The stage this rig will be used on has a steel drum band. ALL steel drums, plus a regular drum kit. No bass player, keys, gtr, vocals, nada. I expect good things.

I'l get lots of pics tomorrow. Might even share a few with you guys! Smile

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2007, 11:34:42 PM »

OK, first gig report, with a twist. It had been my intention, after talking with Boomer a bit, to hang six per side, but only run four.  Then I saw the weather report, and decided to stick with three per side. I had only brought two subs, and one amp rack. The weather called for 50% chance of showers, isolated thunderstorms.... We went with 3/1 per side. Short version, we got rained out! BUT, not before putting the rig up and listening to it for a few hours.

First things first: I don't care for the stands. Unlike the Genie type, you need to break these apart, extend the mast, then use them. PITA, to me. They cost well over half what a Genie/Sumner would, and those would hold more, and go higher. 'nuff said.

The rigging is easy and fast. As you can see in the pics, there are  some bolts in the holes. In this system, since the boxes live "3 high" in their little 6pack cases, Boomer has opted to bolt them to the flyware. You can use pins for all of the connections, it'll cost more, and it'd be faster to take the single boxes apart, but for this rig, two bolts and one pin per side seems to work well. If you blow up the close up pic of the side, you'll see the "12 O clock" bolt, then a "2 O clock" bolt, then the "angle pin/bolt". The angle pin/bolt is the one it makes the most sense to use pins in, as these are the ones that you'll be pulling regularly. We got the rig out, built the cranks, and had all 6 boxes in the air in about 15 minutes, and my guy had not seen these boxes before. He watched me to do side, and did the other himself. This rig is VERY easy to do as one guy.

How's it sound?? Short version: anybody wanna buy some TX4s??? Seriously! For a guy who swims in the ponds I swim in, where the name on the box is less important that what the system sounds like, this is a GREAT system. I heard things in my test CDs that I had not heard before, mostly triangles and things of that sort.
Vocals were very smooth, everything just worked.

Granted, we got rained out, so no live music was played through this system. That said, I am VERY impressed with what I have seen/heard thus far, and look forward to using it again while I've got it.

Pics?? Here you go: http://www.campuspa.com/images/versarray/
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Robin E Venters

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:06:46 AM »

Tim, my name is Robin Venters, and I am the Rep for Wichita, and have been since 1987. (Actually Okla/Kan/Mo/and Ark.)

Hey man thanks for your interest in the Versarray. As JR says, Peavey's marketing is what it is, and sometimes doesn't allow for some desires to be met directly.

Now in the 4 states I cover there is no easier or more accommodating Dealer than Phil U. I spoke to him (father Phil) re this situation, and he says he would like you to come talk to him, and he will try his best to work with you. He says that you and he have gotten along well in the past, in various dealings.

It's really up to you in this situation to convince Phil that you are a serious prospect, and that it's possible for the dealer to hook you up with a system without being beat to death on a reasonable margin for the dealers support.

So far Peavey has between 125-200 systems somewhere out there pushing air, and I have yet to hear of one single case where the owners of the system wanted to get rid of it for any reason. There has yet to be anything used on Fleabay. It is somewhat amazing that absolutely everyone who has purchased these has had the same reaction as the tester who started this thread.

Phil said he would help you get into Summer Namm in Austin if that would help. There you could see the system demoed in a small room and talk to Boomer etc etc...

Basically the system is too expensive for dealers (Even good ones like Phil) to put on the floor to demo in some crowded music store PA room, and too inexpensive for us to have lots of systems and trucks and crews going around the country demoing them in the field.

Hey they will be on the "B" stage of the "Top Grossing Tour in the history of the World"...that's pretty high profile set of possible venues to hear the system do it's thing.

Good luck and please talk with Phil, and or Nick U re this....Good luck
That that is, is. Except in the opinion of an engineer.

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2007, 09:31:39 AM »

Robin E Venters wrote on Tue, 05 June 2007 08:06

Tim, my name is Robin Venters, and I am the Rep for Wichita, and have been since 1987. (Actually Okla/Kan/Mo/and Ark.)

Yo, Robin.. great to hear from you, long time... I know this is not a new issue for you guys.

Hope you and family are well...

JR

-----

Robin E Venters

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2007, 10:10:54 AM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Tue, 05 June 2007 08:31

Robin E Venters wrote on Tue, 05 June 2007 08:06

Yo, Robin.. great to hear from you, long time... I know this is not a new issue for you guys.

Hope you and family are well...

JR

Thanks John, good to see you here. I am doing OK as is the family...as well as any family with a 53 year old dad and a 7 year old Boy can be expected to do...lol

Glad to hear about your drum thingie. Here's an ad idea for you:

"Resotune"...Can't beat it, without it.

Bah doomp pah, ching!!.....thank you very much, I'll be here till Thursday....Try the Veal.
That that is, is. Except in the opinion of an engineer.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Up