ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Versarray  (Read 208237 times)

Kevin Ballard

Re: Peavey Versarray
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2007, 04:22:09 AM »

According to the listings in our local gig guide "The grapevine" it's likely that a band called "TBA" are in the running.  Laughing

www.grapevine.co.uk
Kevin Ballard

Yes the Toilets are over there!

Jeff Babcock

« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2007, 03:15:57 PM »

I'm getting a demo of a small Versarray rig (tops only, not subs) this week, rep is coming by with a few boxes just for the day.  Looking forward to it, I'll post some thoughts once that happens...

Cheers
Jeff

Ronnie Shaffer

« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2007, 10:25:54 PM »

I'm curious as to why these boxes are referred to in other posts as a "so-called line array". It seems to fit the bill as well as many systems claiming the title. The drivers are seemingly close enough for the lows to couple readily and the ribbon drivers appear to be a better effort than some waveguides. The animosity toward the brand gets ridiculous at times.
  I'm interested in finding out if this box will cross that line of meeting the need of a "b" national, much like the TX-4's mentioned in an earlier post.
  Is shading for the nearfield accomplished solely through changing angle for less coupling or do the lower boxes get gain adjustment as well. I looked back through but didn't notice what processing is being used for the demo.
  I'm anxious to read the remaining road test results. Hope they're forthcoming soon. Thanks for making the effort to enlighten    those of us out of the loop.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Name policy
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2007, 10:27:54 PM »

Ronnie, please go to your profile and change your alias to your real full name as required by the posting rules clearly displayed at the top of the page.

Mac

Ronnie Shaffer

Re: Name policy
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2007, 11:03:54 PM »

It's been too long since I posted, forgot to update the profile. Thanks

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2007, 11:50:04 PM »

Ronnie Shaffer wrote on Mon, 11 June 2007 19:25

..."so-called line array"...

Just so you know, JBL gets the same treatment with their VRX boxes which are a vertically arrayed speaker system but NOT a line array. The definition of line array is fairly tight and exclusive but that doesn't mean a vertical array of speakers such as the Versarray or VRX can't be a good solution to many live sound problems. I keep hearing about folks using two VRXes a side for all those sorts of gigs that used to need two main speakers-on-sticks PLUS two delay speakers. The vertical stack throws farther and sounds good.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2007, 11:58:09 AM »

OK, so I've now had the system out on two more events. The first was primarily a speech thing, and the second was a live music event. I'll detail the system first, as there have been some questions about that, then I'll get into how it was used for each event, and my thoughts.

There are two amp racks. Each amp rack contains two VSX26 2x6 DSP units, as well as two Crest 5200 amps for HF, and four Crest 9200 amps for all the cones. The way the rig is set up, each 18" cone gets a channel of 9200 for 1300W program per cone, or 2600W program per sub! The tops are set up to run two 8 ohm cones per channel of 9200, which is still 1100W program per cone. The HF in these boxes is configured to 16 ohms, which puts the program right at 145W per box. The suggested method of wiring allows one to shade boxes in pairs.

My only "worry" with this system is the power handling of the HF vs its SPL@ 1w1m. That said, at no time running the rig did I ever feel like I was lacking in HF. I think the typical compression driver numbers are higher, but also not as correct as the ribbon's numbers. Peavey rates the ribbons at 99dB 1w1m. Typical 2" exit HF drivers, which handle similar power, are rated in the 108-113 range, depending. BUT, compression drivers tend to fall off rapidly above a certain freq, and require big boosts in the higher end of their drive to remain "flat". This adds up to LOTS more power burned in the top end, while the ribbons Peavey is using are flatter up there, so the numbers seem to work themselves out. After talking with Boomer about this, I am confident that the HF "odd numbers" thing is a non-issue. He actually says that if the boxes are driven as mine were, and run "normal" (meaning with a flat-ish curve, not super boosted HF to compensate for hearing issues), that you'll burn the 1000W cone before you'll burn the HF drivers.

OK, gigs:

Saturday...

One of my clients is the local hospital. They had a grand opening for their new, $27M satalite facility. When we discussed sound needs for the event, they were very clear on what they needed: "we want the CEO to be able to stand at the podium, and talk to 2000ppl". No problem. We had the rig hung 6 deep, over one sub per side. Due to power distro/genny location issues, I opted to run 3 boxes per channel and lose the shading. The mains were a good 40' in front of the stage, due to the shape of the location. As such, we had gain for days. The CEO got up, said his things, and EVERYBODY heard him. He was very pleased. I heard it from him personally, which means a little. I also heard it through the back channels, which to me means MUCH more, as that means he wasn't just politely saying "everything was great", but that he was truly happy. In addition to the speaking stuff, they had a taiko (sp??) drum group on my 24x20 stage. We very sparsely mic'd the stage for that, and had extremely good coverage for the whole area. I had the lifts on the ground, all the way up, so 13'. The box angles were 0 degrees for the top 3, then 2.5/2.5/5 for the next three. I had a single self powered 12/1 box set up as a front fill, to cover the area between the stage and the hangs, fwiw.

Sunday....

Drive 2 hours NW to a farm, set up the rig on an SL100 stage. We put the lifts on the deck, and had them about 12' off the deck. This put the tops at about 16' high. I opted for angles of 2.5 between the top 5 boxes, with the bottom box at 5 degrees. We had two subs per side, and ran the tops in pairs off the amps. The rig sounded BEAUTIFUL. I had no problem getting it up to high 90s , A weighted. I like to drive around 95-98, with peaks no louder than 102 or so. FOH was 125' out, and coverage was VERY smooth. I walked back a good 300+', and still had plenty of SPL. I have the  screen still open on the tablet which drove the 01v96. My only eq was a -4dB cut at 600 on the mains. That said, my vocals were flat, and the vox mics were e835s, which seem to like 600Hz, so.... We got through 3 of the 8 scheduled bands that day before it rained and hailed and blew like a sum-bitch. As an example of the winds, the front section of the SL100's roof got LIFTED UP off the supports. A wee bit of wind.....  Prior to that, I got nothing but compliments on the sound. There were quite a few "THIS is PEAVEY???!!!!!!" type compliments, which is both good for Peavey, and bad, I suppose.

My impressions:

I like this rig, quite a bit. My only gripe is the lifts, they are a class-A pain in the ass. If I bought this rig, I'd get Genies, or Sumners, or something of that ilk. I have already run the numbers, and I figure I have subs, power, and drive,  (DR260s) although Boomer suggest I look into their VSX dsp if I go with these boxes. These boxes sound GOOD. They are smooth. They lack that "in your face" compression driver thing. The businessman side of my brain has had the "dude, it says PEAVEY on it" internal debate. In the end, for where I am today, the name Peavey won't hurt me. These boxes are NOT "your father's Peavey" to borrow from an Oldsmobile ad from a few years ago.

More later, including quite a few pics. I have to go clean the rig up and get it all ready to ship, so Boomer doesn't kick my ass!
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Renard Hurtado

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 08:25:57 PM »

Lee,

Thanks for your comments. I watch this thread everyday, waiting for more on this Versarray system. I like the way the system can be setup and also the pricing is very attractive. I hope to hear from more users about how they like this system, so I can give a positive advise to Mr. Wallet.

Thank you

Renard (from Curacao) Hurtado

Don Lanier

• http://www.pearlproaudio.com
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2007, 02:01:56 AM »

I like that" Its not my fathers Peavey' seems these days we hear that alot. I have been using the QWave systems for about two years and we will be buying a quantity of these very soon. Its got a sheen and smooth quality to the High end thats seemingly uncanny, I guess using compression drivers forever and then hearing ribbons and good ribbons its like my ears say, THANKS...

Its a weight saving system, with a pair of Genies one guy can actually go out and do a system, using a small UHAUL trailer you can carry enough PA to cover several thousand folks EASY....

We used thsi system for several Private Partys during the Kentucky Derby and from the minute it came on folks were saying the music sounds great. When people who dont know DA DA about sound are listening closely and commenting to the engineer that the sound is good what do you say.....

I also found the lifts to be cumbersome, Sorry Boomer but I actually got the cable caught and had to dissasseble one to fix it....the lift needs refinement and I think I would redesign that somehow, or use Genies, with Genies you can get higher and this allows you to really take advantage of the Aiming ability of these, very easy to Point and shoot.

I think the guys down there deserve a real pat on the back for building something I as a longtime Peavey guy can be damn proud of, NICE JOB !!! Cool
Don Lanier
Pearl Productions
http://www.pearlproaudio.com

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2007, 06:27:14 AM »

I agree. I think they got this system right. I found the rigging to be easy to use. I didn't have a chance to dive too deeply into the VSX dps units, but what I heard of them was impressive. The amps were all run "WFO", and the system was dead quiet. Some other, "higher end" dsp units can't do that. I have not mentioned the subs alone. The subs are VERY, VERY nice. Apparently, they are double thickness on most of the box, so they give the word "rigid" a new meaning. They sound real smooth, go plenty low, and have a nice "feel" to them.

There has been some discussion "backstage" with some folks here about their own experiences with these boxes. I know Dave Lowum called me Saturday to say he was mixing later on a 3-deep hang. He then called and left a two word message "not impressed". We talked about it for a while, and my experience with the boxes is exactly opposite his. Different drive??? Too few boxes??? I, for one, would like to hear/read any hands on you guys have with these. Brandis has that rig in Baltimore. How is it?? Who's driven it?? What do you like, dislike? Bennett told me "I'd happily mix on a Versarray" , and I gotta say, he has "picked apart" several other offerings. In my brain, this rig is a 6-box minimum to-be-worth-the-effort system. Fewer boxes than that, and I'd just as soon have something without the cranks. Maybe that is the cranks' fault, dunno. If I were to pick this rig up, and believe me, I am "this close" to doing so, I'd like to be able to run 6-8 of them per side. That many boxes, and I'm covering 2-3 Kilofolk, easily. Maybe not at "big mick" SPL, but my soon to be 40 year old ass doesn't need triple-digit SPL these days. If I ever feel the need to compensate for shortcomings, I'll buy a corvette! Smile

More later, ramblings of a tired old fart.

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 30   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.