ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Versarray  (Read 208915 times)

Thomas R. Pullen

Re: Peavey Versarray
« Reply #280 on: October 22, 2009, 01:12:25 AM »

We have 6 VR112 (3) per side and a pair of 218 cabs.  CS4080HZ for the subs, 4000 for the 12s, 2000 for the ribbons.

It sounds really great installed in our church.  It is dialed in nicely and we get compliments all the time from visitors.

Don and Jerome from the forum here have both heard it.  Maybe they can comment.
Thomas R. Pullen

Gene Hardage

• http://www.SarasotaSlim.com
Re: Peavey Versarray - slight return
« Reply #281 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:37 AM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 00:28

Having read thru this whole thing again recently, it seems at least a few of you have purchased the system. Not all of you still own it. Please post what you bought, how you use it, if you still have it, and if not, why not, and what replaced it. I am still sniffing this rig, for non-rider events.

Thanx!

Lee

I'm curious about this rig and the newer version too but have yet to see or hear either of them in my small circle.  However, since you live here in FL - here's a thread for you... http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/50205/17444/
Gene SARASOTA SLIM Hardage
http://www.SarasotaSlim.com

Jerome Casinger

• http://www.ignitestlouis.com
« Reply #282 on: December 03, 2009, 11:01:38 PM »

Thomas R. Pullen wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 00:12

We have 6 VR112 (3) per side and a pair of 218 cabs.  CS4080HZ for the subs, 4000 for the 12s, 2000 for the ribbons.

It sounds really great installed in our church.  It is dialed in nicely and we get compliments all the time from visitors.

Of course I will comment, Thomas you should have told me you tagged me Wink

The church is the first time I have got to hear, or run on this system.  I enjoyed running the system and hearing the different responses at different frequencies.  At first running I found the highs to be sligtly harsh for my taste, but that was a quick fix.  It did everything I asked it to.  It really does cover the room well, we brought a show in and the Versarray smoked the headliners PA (I would like to use that term loosely).  I think they didnt want to tie into the peavey system just because it would be something new as compared to throwing up there stuff.

Needless to say, the opening acts truly had better coverage and overall a better sound for the gig.  Only thing I would recommend is more low end, but for the church there is plenty there.  When we do more concerts here, if they are going to use the house system we may have to supplement a little bit, but overall I think its a great system for the money, and it would be in the running for me if I had an constant application for it.

Thomas R. Pullen

« Reply #283 on: December 03, 2009, 11:11:17 PM »

Jerome Casinger wrote on Thu, 03 December 2009 22:01

Thomas R. Pullen wrote on Thu, 22 October 2009 00:12

Thomas you should have told me you tagged me Wink

I did this at 12:12 AM.  Anything after midnight does not count. Smile
Thomas R. Pullen

Nick Wallette

« Reply #284 on: January 19, 2010, 07:08:43 PM »

Fair warning: crusty ol' veterans may cringe at this...

I'm looking at starting a small system with the intent to grow.  Right now, I'm just a guy in a band looking for a PA that can handle as much power as I can afford.  I have a couple of inexpensive traditional horn cabinets (Yamaha Club V) and a single SP118.  For most of our gigs where I need to supply sound, this is all I need.  But on occasion, I've tried to supplement house PA systems (or there IS no house PA) and I just don't have enough of anything to fill that need.

So.  I started researching and am looking into the VA subs.  For one, because they're not exceedingly expensive.  But also because, by spec and reputation, seem to go quite a bit lower, sound better, and handle considerably more power.  It seemed a wise move rather than dumping money into lower-class models like the SP.

Here's where things get complicated, though.  The tops are rather attractive too, for the same reasons... expensive for a private purchase, but not entirely outlandish, the ribbon HF is a huge plus (speculative -- I haven't heard it, but the abrasive sound of a typical PA has always been my biggest gripe), and I'm seriously considering an entry into coordinating shows beyond our own gigs.

The end goal is going as big as a relatively remote market will bear, preferably being able to extend a single system along the way, rather than replacing it.  Even if it's a bit of a shoe-horn to fit it to lesser needs.

Now, at this point, 90% of you are shaking your heads and sucking air through your teeth.  That's fine.. I know how this sounds.  Here's why I'm hoping this isn't crazy... A few pages ago, there was some debate over whether a 2-top would be suitable for 1-200 people in a medium-small venue.  I'm aware of the directionality issues, but I really wonder if around maybe 20 degrees vertical dispersion wouldn't be enough?  I'm also aware that in a small vertical stack, the dynamics of coupling LF drivers changes.  I don't know exactly how (new.. naive..), but from what I have been led to understand, my needs don't demand that level of efficiency just yet.

Admittedly, I am totally ignorant of line array principles, just clued-in enough to know there are things I need to know before I can expect to implement anything remotely resembling one.  So yes, I am the market segment you all fear. Wink  I'm paid far too well doing what I currently do to jump into apprenticeship with guys that know what they're doing, so I'm investigating (and that's all for now!) the trial-by-fire route.  The worst that can happen is to waste my own money and end up with horrid sound.  No one has ever lost limb or life by that, as far as I know.

Help.  Please.  Smile  I'm an IT guy used to being given technology way beyond his understanding.  I learned Fibre Channel by trying to make it work in a production environment, I can do my homework here if someone can point this horse to some water.  Any good books?  Online resources?  I'm soaking up what I can, but most discussion is based on the assumption that an end user has worked for a production company and learned the ropes the traditional way.  Is there a ground zero, Professional Sound for Dummies that is considered a must-read?

Art Welter

« Reply #285 on: January 19, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »

JBL has many papers on why and how line arrays work.
Most other line array manufacturers have papers and the manuals usually are helpful.

There are about a thousand threads on why short lines don't work here in the LAB and Lounge.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #286 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:24 PM »

Nick Wallette wrote on Tue, 19 January 2010 16:08

Here's where things get complicated, though.  The tops are rather attractive too, for the same reasons... expensive for a private purchase, but not entirely outlandish, the ribbon HF is a huge plus (speculative -- I haven't heard it, but the abrasive sound of a typical PA has always been my biggest gripe), and I'm seriously considering an entry into coordinating shows beyond our own gigs.

I don't know what you've listened to, but that "abrasive" sound is not characteristic of mid to high-level cabinets.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Brandon Blakeney

« Reply #287 on: March 28, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »

I just did my first show with my versarray system yesterday. I am truly impressed!! We ran a QW rig for about 5 years and this just blew it away. We flew 6 VR112's per side from a truss at 15' and 6 VR218's center clustered and aux fed in front of the stage. Even running the system in protect mode and keeping it out of the red we were easily peaking at about 113db at FOH. However, spl is very deceptive with the ribbon drivers in the versarray because the audio is so clean. Most live sound ears don't realize that its loud until they hear that CD horn distortion in more traditional enclosures. I had nothing but compliments on the sound, I would say we had between 1-2 thousand at this show and not telling how many people actually heard the audio as it was at a street festival. The headliner was a well-known country artist and they seemed pleased with the setup. Many people on the LAB try to belittle the Versarray but I just don't see why!!!  Very Happy

index.php/fa/29048/0/

Scott Shaw

• http://www.myspace.com/scotts63
« Reply #288 on: March 29, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »

Hey Brandon, let me know when you guys are gonna use that system outside again. I'd like to drive over and listen to it.

Scott Shaw
601-757-5880
nshaw@cableone.net

Sammy Barr

« Reply #289 on: March 31, 2010, 04:50:03 PM »

Brandon, I have heard many compliments on the system. Glad you are enjoying it. Those crest pro9200's really really make the subs come to life.  Enjoy Razz
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.