ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey Versarray  (Read 208126 times)

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
Peavey Versarray
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:00:47 PM »

So after a bit of "behind the scenes" work, via phone calls, emails, smoke signals and the like, this truck pulls up today about noon. Off rolls the following: twelve Versarray tops, in two "sixpacks". These sixpacks are very easily moved by one guy, they are two stacks of three, pinned and ready to go, face to face on/in a little cart. Next comes four of the 2x18 subs, two amp racks, a distro, two of the crank stands, and a cable trunk. Each amp rack  contains two VSX26s, two Crest 5200s, and four Crest 9200s. The distro has can ins, and outs for the amp racks, as well as 30A twists, edison stuff, etc. This one will be a somewhat shorter term road test, as they need the gear back in about two weeks. In the meantime, I've got three shows scheduled wherein I'll be checking out this system's various qualities.

One is a street fest thing, where I'll use 3/1 per side for the main stage. That is all the rig I'll need for there, as there are normally 500-700ppl there at any given point during the show.    

The second is a grand opening for a new facility for one of my clients. For that, their main concern is having the "talking head" at the podium clearly heard by 2000 ppl, outside. Not a problem, I expect the Versarray to really shine on this one.

The third is a rock show, benefit deal, dunno if it'll be "bands" all day or "musicians" all day, with jamming going on. Either way, with 6 tops/2 subs per side and all this power, I'll be a happy guy.

I will be playing with the lifts tomorrow, hanging six boxes and seeing how they go together. Apparently, the lifts are not just a "crank it up" thing like genies/sumners/etc, so there is a 5 minute learning curve there.

More later,

Lee
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
Re: Peavey Versarray
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:52:36 PM »

Take lots of pictures! Smile

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 10:16:27 PM »

no text

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 10:17:43 PM »

Why would you not use the whole rig for your street fair? There might be a benefit from better low frequency control--less thump going the wrong way.

Let us know what it sounds like out front AND on stage.  Very Happy

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2007, 10:19:25 PM »

quote edited out

OOoooohh, sour grapes. It's just Lee's silver tongue doing the convincing. That, or the compromising photos he's holding on to...   Twisted Evil  

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2007, 10:29:28 PM »

You quoted me too fast.  Gee, thanks.

Yes, it leaves a bitter taste.  I was told by to see a local dealer, who would have to order for stock, the demo I wanted.  No local dealer was willing to take the risk, and I think it silly that I have to try out of state dealers who don't know our firm.

WE ARE PROFESSIONAL END USERS.  Not a church committee, a municipal council, or other indecisive, wishy-washy buyer.  And we have both cash and excellent credit.

I was unaware of Lee's oratory prowess.  I will take notes. Wink

Tim Mc

p.s. Obviously, the offer to buy is now off the table.  It will take some serious convincing.
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Phil LaDue

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2007, 11:33:41 PM »

Hey Lee, what is the distro they sent?

Lee Jacobson

• http://www.brevardsoundsystems.com
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 11:37:16 PM »

Bink,

The reason I am only using half the rig has to do with what power I have at my disposal for the stage in question. That is all, really. Yeah, I could use all 12 tops and see what they'll do in terms of control, but I am concerned we may not have enough juice to do that, what with EIGHT Crest 9200s if I run the whole rig.

Tim,

Sorry, this rig isn't for ME per se. It is for PSW's Road Test. I am just the lucky bastard who gets to play with it. I don't know what Peavey's demo policies are, so I can't speak to that at all.

FWIW, I am a cunning linguist.....
Lee Jacobson
Technical Director
Brevard Sound Systems
Deltona, FL
386 717 4600

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 01:07:23 AM »

Lee Jacobson wrote on Wed, 30 May 2007 22:37

FWIW, I am a cunning linguist.....

Silver-tounged devil, I bet Wink

Have fun with the Versarray, I hope it works out well.

Tim Mc

Don Lanier

• http://www.pearlproaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 03:48:48 AM »

As a dealer I can say that there really is no demo agreement, when the Versarray was first released we traveled to Meridian for a demo in the parking lot, then another time I traveled to a non dealers farm field to hear it again, unfortunately the wind was blowing so hard at the farm the system was really compromised. I am a HUGE Peavey guy and could I sell a system or two if I had a demo system such as this YES YES YES, But it hasnt happened. I will say the system is all they claim it to be and more, after hearing it in Meridian on Peaveys Corporate HQ parking lot.

I was very impressed at the throw and clarity. This thing projects considerable distance and does it with clean pristine audio. Its simple to hang although Im not a fan of Vermette lifts for hanging 6-50lb cabs it works great. The Subs are powerful and have very little backsplash, standing behind the system is relatively quiet, while side to side dispersion was smooth and articulate.

With the Crest Power or the CS Series its a powerhouse and will cover large areas or small gatherings, the pin aiming setup works great and assures constant accurate setup. Ease has the settings for the Versarray and can be used to construct plots for aiming and using the Pin's to setup and aim.

The best part of this system is the small truck youll need to move it, in fact a small U haul trailer works very well, with 2 people its a snap to assemble, hang, lift, and cable. In about 1 hour youll have soundcheck done and actually get to eat the hot meal thats on the rider.

I can understand your dissappointment with Peavey for not making the system available to me or you, But the MagRag will generate definite sales and satisfy inquiring minds. I wanted to use the System last year on the Steel Guitar convention in St Louis but the room design actually negates the use of a line array. Should a system become available for demo use for customers, I hope they put my name on the list. I have had at least ten serious inquirys and have sold Versarry Tops to several sight unseen.
Don Lanier
Pearl Productions
http://www.pearlproaudio.com
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 30   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.