ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small & Light Top Box Shootout  (Read 9053 times)

Winston Gamble

Re: Small & Light Top Box Shootout
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »

Bob Kenton wrote on Sun, 08 July 2007 20:47

Hello Winston,

Now that you have had the new speakers for a short while, any new thoughts about the sound or performance?

Thanks,

Unfortunately, we have mostly been playing venues and festivals with PA provided since getting the new Community's so I have only used them once in a live setting so far. That was before I had any time to work on tuning them to our system, but they performed very well for us with just a quick auto eq session and some additional changes for my ear taste. I did then contact Community about any DSP settings they might have worked up for them, but being a new line they haven't done any work with them yet. They did provide me with the reccomended tweaks for their Veris line equivalent which is an install version that uses the same drivers and that has been out a while longer. However, they use different internal crossovers, so that information wasn't completely relavant. I did finally get a chance to set the system up out of doors and try out some of the Veris tweaks on the Sonus version. Some of them helped to flatten out what my Driverack PA was applying to them, and some didn't. I did wind up with settings that sound very good with music play back although I may well wind up changing things some more after using them live a few more times. We have quite a few gigs where we will provide PA over the next 4-5 weeks.

Over all, I am very happy with what I percieve as a much clearer and more defined sound in the mids and a less harsh high frequency section. With two guitars and three to four vocals often competing for space, that should be a very good thing. The only faults I see so far are, they have a noticable boost right at 1.2k that sounds pretty nasty at higher levels without EQ, the bass response is a bit weak from about 125-200hz for my taste and they could definately use a heavier exterior coating as the current one appears to be more of a regular paint than a heavy duty Duratex type product. We shall see how the surface holds up, but covers are on order and look to be definately needed.

Winston

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
Re: Small & Light Top Box Shootout
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 10:56:11 PM »

They must have sold really well after this also, I ordered a set of the 3294's?? with matching Dual 15" sub's for my showroom on an order or R.5's and some Veris Stuff (Which the Veris stuff has been VERY NICE for installations let me add) They told me end of august to get them... Sad

I didn't even see you're review, but the size and 3 way nature of them look to make them killer for their price point!
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 19 queries.