ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: EONA ADRaudio merged  (Read 86400 times)

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
Re: EONA ADRaudio Powered Loudspeakers
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2006, 07:48:43 PM »

Very nice looking stuff, wish I could here them.  I'm not a big fan of all metal fronts due to wear & tear, but they sure do look nice.

And does the box actually sound good down to 70hz?  Or is it more along the lines of a normal 10"/12" box that seems to roll off into nothing after 90hz?

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 18 October 2006 17:01

...a 1.4" exit 75x55 degree rotatable horn.

Bennett, did you rotate the horn?  The horn is actually a B&C ME90, and is stated to be a 80x60, but 75x55 is probably more realistic.  Anyway, I had a discussion a few years back with someone from B&C about the orientation of this horn.  I was told that the 80 degree horizontal plane is actually the curved sides of the bell.  With that said, your U103 is actually working in 60H by 80V mode.

Did you do any basic polar testing, or notice they were performing slightly narrow?
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2006, 08:07:33 PM »

John Horvath wrote on Thu, 19 October 2006 19:48

And does the box actually sound good down to 70hz?  Or is it more along the lines of a normal 10"/12" box that seems to roll off into nothing after 90hz?

I measured them all the way down to 70, and they combine smoothly with the subs that cross out at 70, so it appears they actually go that low.

John Horvath wrote on Thu, 19 October 2006 19:48

Bennett, did you rotate the horn?  The horn is actually a B&C ME90, and is stated to be a 80x60, but 75x55 is probably more realistic.  Anyway, I had a discussion a few years back with someone from B&C about the orientation of this horn.  I was told that the 80 degree horizontal plane is actually the curved sides of the bell.  With that said, your U103 is actually working in 60H by 80V mode.

Did you do any basic polar testing, or notice they were performing slightly narrow?

I've only measured them on axis, but I've been putting them up like they were 75 degrees and then walking the pattern and getting the results I expected, I'd be surprised if they weren't. I haven't rotated the horn or used the box on its side yet, though.

Well, wait, I've got one right here... I just laid one on its side, ran some HF program through it, and walked around. Seems to be doing what it says, very tight vertical control.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Phil LaDue

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2006, 08:09:51 PM »

Bennett we didn't know you were an artist too!!!!
Razz  Razz  Razz  Razz

(9th picture)

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2006, 08:28:16 PM »

Embarassed I was wondering who would notice my Pollock ripoffs.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 05:32:17 AM »

John Horvath wrote on Fri, 20 October 2006 00:48

The horn is actually a B&C ME90, and is stated to be a 80x60, but 75x55 is probably more realistic.  Anyway, I had a discussion a few years back with someone from B&C about the orientation of this horn.  I was told that the 80 degree horizontal plane is actually the curved sides of the bell.  With that said, your U103 is actually working in 60H by 80V mode.

Horn actually IS B&C ME90 stated to be 80x60 degrees. Our measurements lead us to specify coverage data a bit narrower (75x55) because it is indeed more realistic. The actual difference is very small, but anyway...

"disfraction slot" at the throat of the horn must be oriented vertically, to achieve 75 degrees (wider) horizontal dispersion, so Bennett's boxes (ones on pictures) are 75H x 55V.

On the B&C web site photo "strongly" suggests otherwise. I never observed that photo so close up until today.

index.php/fa/6277/0/

(RCF horn : picture for reference only: wide horizontal x narrow vertical)...thanks John

Narrower exit in horizontal plane forces HF energy to "follow" horns sides and not to detach from them at higher frequencies.

On vertical plane however radiation angle needed at higher frequencies is smaller so so called "piston" effect doesn't affect coverage (that much !?!?)

Alex Cool

I hope my "English" is readable....
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 03:00:55 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote

....Alex tells me that at some shows in Slovenia he's used 3 in an arc in front of the performer, which had the added advantage of giving her more horizontal coverage, and had more than enough power....

index.php/fa/6283/0/

Alex Cool
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

John Horvath

• http://www.alanproaudio.com
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 03:13:46 PM »

Interesting.  FWIW, you can clearly see that the horn in Bennett's U103 is different than the picture you provided.  Your picture clearly shows a more common CD type diffraction slot, where the one in Bennett's U103 is slightly different than normal.  You can also tell that your horn is different by looking at the mounting flange.  The flange of course does not affect the pattern of the horn, I was just pointing it for the sake of showing that maybe your horn picture is from an earlier design.

What causes the HF to follow the sides of bell are the flat areas immediately adjacent to the throat hole, usually left & right of the hole and adjacent to the curved walls, just like your picture.  However, you can see in Bennett's U103 horn that the larger flat areas are positioned in the vertical along with the curved sides.  This is a 90 degree shift from normal horn geometry basics, and against B&Cs own recommendation.

Whatever though, the good thing is this horn is totally rotatable, so whatever works for you.
-John

Alan Pro Audio
219-769-3600

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:09:20 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Wed, 18 October 2006 18:01

Alex says this is partly due to using the highest quality drivers he can get his hands on, but also due to the time he spends manipulating the phase relationship of the two drivers. I've measured all the boxes and they're about as good as it gets in terms of both frequency and phase flatness...

Hi Bennett,

Any chance you could share some of these measurements?
A “save as” of the delay finder after it makes an Impulse Response would be nice.

One up in the air on stands and one down on the ground as a stage monitor would be work.

Thanks.
Smile

PS- I envy him using active xovers. Messing with phase in passive xover land is a real PITA so forgive me if I don’t think he has it so bad making it work in an active xover.
Wink
Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Too Tall (Curtis H. List)

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »

Hi Alex,

I see from what Bennett writes that the single 18” sub woofer is ported.

There looks to be a slot f or a possible vent on the M 1225 coax monitor and a couple of holes under the woofer on the U103.
Are both of these ported then?

Since you are using an active xover did you consider going sealed?

Too Tall
        Curtis H. List    
             Bridgeport, Mich.   
        I.A.T.S.E. Local # 274 (Gold Card)
        Lansing, Mich
Independent Live Sound Engineer (and I'm Tall Too!)

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 08:50:31 PM »

John Horvath wrote on Fri, 20 October 2006 15:13

What causes the HF to follow the sides of bell are the flat areas immediately adjacent to the throat hole, usually left & right of the hole and adjacent to the curved walls, just like your picture.  However, you can see in Bennett's U103 horn that the larger flat areas are positioned in the vertical along with the curved sides.  This is a 90 degree shift from normal horn geometry basics, and against B&Cs own recommendation.

John, if you look carefully you can see that the flats are still there, to the left and the right, they're just a little smoother and less obvious than with the older horn design.

I'll leave the rest of the technical questions to Alex.
-- Bennett Prescott
ADRaudio d.o.o.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.