ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: TC M350  (Read 21343 times)

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
Re: TC M350
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »

Tim Padrick wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 20:23

What's annoying, other than that the outputs are summed?  I find this easy enough to live with.

The common outputs.

Why I don't think it's ideal?:

My preference, for example, when I want more reverb, is to just push a (2) channel fader up. In the "dual-output" mode I have to boost the gain for an effect in the unit, and then make sure I am OK at the board, and that the "other" effect is still at the right level as well.

It would have been a nice extra feature if it picked the outputs pre summing amp as well as post summing amp (a true dual unit). I would gladly give up the kludgey "recall settings" mode - which remains an unused feature.

BTW - this is really a minor nuisance, and does not in any way take away from the excellent price/performance of the TC.
MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2008, 02:13:30 PM »

Tony "T" Tissot wrote on Thu, 29 May 2008 10:15

Tim Padrick wrote on Wed, 28 May 2008 20:23

What's annoying, other than that the outputs are summed?  I find this easy enough to live with.

The common outputs.

Why I don't think it's ideal?:

My preference, for example, when I want more reverb, is to just push a (2) channel fader up. In the "dual-output" mode I have to boost the gain for an effect in the unit, and then make sure I am OK at the board, and that the "other" effect is still at the right level as well.

It would have been a nice extra feature if it picked the outputs pre summing amp as well as post summing amp (a true dual unit). I would gladly give up the kludgey "recall settings" mode - which remains an unused feature.

BTW - this is really a minor nuisance, and does not in any way take away from the excellent price/performance of the TC.

LOL, I am still subscribed to this thread.

Anyways, the quick summary of the M350 is as follows:

It's actually a fine-sounding box, certainly if you want (close to) M1 sounds for less money in a bar rig and situations where you don't have to meet riders. Dial up one of the several reverb types and it's a good starting point.

Having said that, the cons:

I must say that I hate the user interface, although it's really no different from the user I/F on similarly-priced products from competitors. If you want to dial in a 1-second reverb, forget it. There's no way to set things like reverb time or predelay in human-understandable units. This is especially annoying when you want to set delay times without using the tap feature.

If you use the tap feature, you have to make sure that the DELAY knob is set to NORMAL (at 12 o'clock), otherwise what you tap ain't what you get.

However, for me, the major annoyance is the summed output. It sucks. OK, I mean, if you run it in dual mono mode, it's OK, but if you want to use stereo reverbs or delays, you will hate the summing feature the moment you decide you want to preview (PFL) just the delay in your headphones. Can't do it. That's a dealbreaker.

I suspect that for an extra $50, TC could add two more output jacks and give the user stereo delay out and stereo reverb out and most users will be happy. (I supposed they'd have to add a second S/PDIF output, or otherwise say that the S/PDIF out supports summed output only.)

Regarding computer control:

a) Mac OS X AU support, which supposedly would make the M350 appear as an audio effect within a DAW that supports AU, is still not available, and probably will never be. So forget that feature. VST is apparently available but I haven't tried it.

b) The Vyzor control software remains at v 1.0. And while it goes give you computer control over front-panel options, you still don't get useful human-understandable control. So your reverb time is still set in units of 0 to 127. Recommendation? Forget that the computer control software exists and just use the front panel.

c) A Windows machine to update the firmware if necessary, though I would expect that currently-shipping units have the latest version.

SUMMARY:

Sounds fine, UI is limited and limiting, software control worthless. Certainly more than fine for the $200 street price, and certainly better than the SPX-90 that inhabits many bar rig racks (though I suppose that's damning the unit with faint praise). Me?

Who wants the box next? PM me and I'll ship it out.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 02:37:48 PM »

You've had this for over a year?  That's longer than Jeff Permanian's Growlers sat in.. where ever they were.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »

I'll take it for a spin with the weekend warrior's I run sound for... Anything's better than their Digitech Studio unit they have now...
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 09:44:14 PM »

Just to update this. I have the unit right now. it seems it lost some screws to hold the front plastic piece on over the display. luckily all the parts were in the box, minus the screws.

So far I've used it on a few gig's and its worked great! I haven't read the manual yet. just sort of ran with it. and it took me about 10 minutes of fiddleing with it to "get" it.

Nice delay sound with no fiddling. quick knobs to make changes, and a tap tempo that does the job.

the Verb's sound great with 3 easy knobs for control also. So far I'm impressed. This unit fits right into the band budget for a unit. We have a few more placing I'm looking forward to trying this out at.
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 18 queries.