ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What do national acts expect from a rehearsal facility?  (Read 2925 times)

_______

What do national acts expect from a rehearsal facility?
« on: April 20, 2007, 04:07:05 PM »

My neighbor owns a well-known aggregate of rehearsal spaces here in the Metroplex.  He has developed a relationship with a new venue, and expects to cater to national acts.

Additionally, we have the 30th annual Guitar Fest this weekend.  This morning he entrusted me to babysit his A room while he traveled.  The clients consisted of acts featured in the guitar-a-thon.

Fortunately these cats were cool with the sound gear.  It was a good thing, because I was working with a small Mackie mixer, one Yamaha effects unit, and a dbx comp/limiter.  Backline gear was also provided.

I understand that a small, stripped down system suits most local bands (less for them to fiddle with), but what about the big boys?  I'm guessing that most of them don't expect much, but what about giving them more than they expect, e.g. multiple wedge mixes (or an IEM rig), quality effects, and a tech to ring out the room and take orders?

The owner of the facility is currently remodeling and opening new  spaces, and I would like to help him.  We'd love to hear your comments.

-Matt

Derrick Bassett

• http://derrickbassett.blogspot.com
Re: What do national acts expect from a rehearsal facility?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 04:59:25 PM »

Hey Matt,

I don't know about national acts, but as a performer... I expect to rehearse with the same quality of equipment that I'm going to use in a performance as well as the same functionality. To me.... it's a wasted rehearsal if it isn't show quality.

As a director and producer for live shows - I expect my talent to put on the same quality show with no one in the seats as if there were 50,000 people watching. I accept nothing less. It has got to be show quality every time.

Now...obviously it depends on what stage of creating & rehearsing you're at...but, I'm not going to rent a space if I have a better set up at home.

Just a few thoughts.

Bob Leonard

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 05:04:56 PM »

Derrick Bassett wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 16:59

Hey Matt,

I don't know about national acts, but as a performer... I expect to rehearse with the same quality of equipment that I'm going to use in a performance as well as the same functionality. To me.... it's a wasted rehearsal if it isn't show quality.

As a director and producer for live shows - I expect my talent to put on the same quality show with no one in the seats as if there were 50,000 people watching. I accept nothing less. It has got to be show quality every time.

Now...obviously it depends on what stage of creating & rehearsing you're at...but, I'm not going to rent a space if I have a better set up at home.

Just a few thoughts.

I agree with all of the above. Smile
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 05:16:23 PM »

Matt, the few times I've done rehearsals before a tour we've always had the rehearsal space rent in what we needed, and in many cases the rehearsal space is also a rental house. I wouldn't expect them to have anything more than a stripped down system, since if I'm going on a real tour I'll want to bring in the exact same equipment I'll actually be touring with.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Bob Leonard

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 06:25:13 AM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Fri, 20 April 2007 17:16

Matt, the few times I've done rehearsals before a tour we've always had the rehearsal space rent in what we needed, and in many cases the rehearsal space is also a rental house. I wouldn't expect them to have anything more than a stripped down system, since if I'm going on a real tour I'll want to bring in the exact same equipment I'll actually be touring with.

Bennett,
It's a double edged sword. Most times you can get away with a stripped down rehersal but in some cases the band will want to have a quick rehersal that simulates stage volume. The attempt is to get a feel for the volume on stage and problems that may come from it. Now I know that all changes once your on the stage but those rehersals at volume bring about some interesting questions and answers. Especially for sound guys. I usually drive people crazy with questions at this point because I work both sides of the house. Twisted Evil On the other hand as the act tightens the need for this becomes less and less as the problems are found and pretty soon the need for a rehersal at volume goes away. That's the double edged sword.

Of course and finally, if the band is tight a small room with a few GOOD 5 watt amps works just fine along with a 1 hour sound check at the venue the morning or early afternoon befrore the show. You can't win I guess. Laughing
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Jake Scudder

• http://www.jakescudder.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:22:16 PM »

I don't think Bennett is saying to rehearse with the minimum.  I think he's saying not to expect the rehearsal space to provide the rig.  It will be rented.  Or if the package is already spec'ed, teched, and packed they may just bring the actual rig since the band and crew are going to rehearse with the same rig they are going out with.  

John Penkala

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:49:53 PM »

Matthew,

It depends.

Are you talking about a rehearsal facility or a practice space?

John

_______

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 10:26:01 AM »

John,

I suppose I should have said "practice space".  I don't want to imply, however, that the aforementioned facility is like some of the dumps I've patronized over the years.  It is a nice place, and the owner plans to add amenities such as a concierge and shuttle service.

Please enlighten me on the cut-and-dry differences between a practice space and a rehearsal facility.

Thanks,
Matt

_______

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 10:30:51 AM »

Quote:

...if the package is already spec'ed, teched, and packed they may just bring the actual rig since the band and crew are going to rehearse with the same rig they are going out with.

A notable act who just came through did exactly that, Jake, complete with genny rental.  It makes me wonder about the potential futility of installing better gear.  

John Penkala

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 10:41:05 AM »

Matthew,
       I'm hoping some of the other folks that do large tours chime in on this one. I consider a "practice space" aka "studio" a place where the band gets together to collaborate on writing and working out their parts. It might have a small PA for vocals and/or a small recording rig.
   I consider a "Rehearsal Facility" a large room/venue/soundstage where the band and production do full on shows to work out the cues/transitions and technical snafu's that may be encountered. The LD programs his show, the FOH and Monitor engineers get their mixes together, etc. This is done before the show goes on the road. Depending on the size of the show, the facility might have enough points to fly at least partial if not all of the PA/Lights/Video etc. I hope this helps.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.