ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Built for Horrible Cancelation in small rooms...  (Read 3971 times)

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
Built for Horrible Cancelation in small rooms...
« on: April 13, 2007, 10:14:12 pm »

So is the LAB just built for horrible cancelation in small rooms? The exit of the horn if 4' which would cancel at approx 70 hz. putting them up against a wall gets hard though too because it woudl either be pointed at the stage (feedback) or on the patio (I know this is very venue specific).

You guys have any ideas for this room. It's a dance club type place with turntables so feedback can be an issue. I also try and use the subwoofers to put the mains on but i could put them on tables or something if it came down to it.

We generally set up 2 subs & 1 top right in front of their DJ booth, but i can just imagine we are getting horrible cancelation. I can't put subwoofers on the stage because there is a DJ there. If i put them in a corner it would loose a lot of energy getting to the main dance floor on the left. This is roughly 50 feet wide by 40' tall to give you an idea of scale. Not a massive room, but i want the best sound we can possible get out of it.

Very open to your suggestions & Subwoofer placement Ideas? Also any idea on where i should cross the subwoofers over 80-100 hz?

BTW The DJ Booth has plexiglass in front of it (we don't use that one). Would that cause boungary cancelation too?

-Josh Billings

Tim McCulloch

Re: Built for Horrible Cancelation in small rooms...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 12:53:06 am »

No, your small room was built for horrible cancellations.  Any speaker will have some kind of problem in this space.

Thank you, please drive thru.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Josh Billings

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 03:00:27 am »

I admit the room is ridiculous, but the lab horn in a small room is almost impossible right? How would you make it work? THe mouth of the horn is 4 feet way from the wall if you back them up against a wall.

-Josh Billings

peter.golde

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 11:54:18 am »

Fire the Lab into a corner, mouth towards a wall or the floor. I have used the Lab in smaller rooms with great results. Do some reading on sub placement, and stop blaming your equipment.
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer" - Frank Zappa

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 04:30:53 am »

Your best option that I know of is to either stand or lay the lab sub, having one of the sides couple to the floor/wall, and aim it into the corner with about 28" between the mouth and the wall if this is at all possible.  You should have the sensitivity and response of 4 labs (Not the same power handling though).  You can also gain a little more LF exention as the spacing from the wall aproximates a horn flair extension.

At least thats what I was told by Servodrive for my BT7's and I belive the have the same flair rate.

You will not have the same front to rear cab 1/4wave cancelation problems, but you may still have ceiling cancelation which you can't really fix, and other room modes and nodes.

I have also heard that doing a corner loading will increased the magnitude of room modes.

No Free Luch.

Antone-

Josh Billings

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2007, 07:57:19 pm »

Bass is so difficult. Also if you look at that room, there really are no corners other than in the far back of the room & even that is a weird pocked dig out of the venue and i'm not sure how all that would work out.

I know it's tough to tell where sub bass is coming from but i do want most of the energy to be around where the DJ Is because that's where i want people to gravitate towards.

Really tough room.

-Josh Billings

Antone Atmarama Bajor

• http://www.geocities.com/somesoundgreat
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 12:31:21 am »

Ok lets try this again, this lap top has a page back key right next to the arrow key so I keep loosing my post.

I'm not sure how many LABS you have but heres a possible scenario.

Perhaps if there is enough space, you can place 1 or 2 labs between the other DJ's rig and the Exit.  Aim the mouth towards the wall from 28",  Then on the Right side of your DJ Rig perhaps you can do the same thing if you have 2 or more Lab subs,

Good Time alignment for your Tops maybe difficult or impossible, even with delay, but its worth a try.

Another thought  Build a platform for your DJ rig that Hovers above the Subs (no touchy).

Cinder Blocks and Rubber matts??

Good luck.

Antone-

Tim Padrick

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2007, 07:44:57 pm »

I think I'd stack them and fire them into the corner that's to the right of the green DJ booth.  Might work well.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.