ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: What are your wheels?  (Read 38997 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: What are your wheels?
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2007, 07:02:06 PM »

Andy Peters wrote on Sun, 15 April 2007 18:40

"Scary" is the idea that the Standard Moron should be behind the wheel of any vehicle more powerful than a Toyota Corolla.

Don't get me started. In this kind of weather it's not me I worry about, I spent enough time fucking around on back roads in NH to know how to drive a car safely, it's the dipshits passing me doing 65 in the left lane, and the people in the city of Troy who think stopping distance doesn't change with the weather.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Phil LaDue

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2007, 07:06:27 PM »

Currently I have a dark Green 1998 Dodge Stratus with a 5 speed automatic. There is nothing extraordinary about it(which sucks when I lose it in a campus parking lot)except the Shure bumper sticker.

Bob Leonard

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2007, 07:06:47 PM »

John Roberts  {JR} wrote on Sun, 15 April 2007 14:34

My stock 300+ HP cobra mustang is puny by comparison. Even my old '93 with a blower (RIP) was probably still less than 400 HP, That old Fox chassis was a flexible flyer, I trust the new running gear can handle 500HP. The 'stangs never were known for good handling. Will they have IRS on that 500HP beast?

One feature I'd really like on a go fast scooter is the smart brake steering, which would be useful in the occasional downpours I encounter. I'm an old ford lover but the corvette package looks pretty good.

JR

JR,
There is a nice article in Road and Track with a side by side against the Viper and Vette. The Viper is fastest in the 1/4, followed by the Vette, then Mustang. They decided the reason being the the skinny tires and extra weight were the reasons. The difference was less than a few 10ths of a second. The overall test gave it to the Mustang as best of the 3 for a number of reasons, then the Vette, then the Viper.

Mine will be red with gold stripes if I live that long. I think the first thing I should do is come pick you up and then we drive to Andy's house and spin the wheels in his driveway. Laughing

index.php/fa/8745/0/
The roar of the grease paint, the smell of the crowd.

Craig Leerman

• http://www.techworksvegas.com
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2007, 07:12:26 PM »

Here is my daily driver, a 1992 Chevy chassis with a Wheeled Coach body. It was formerly an ambulance in Durango Colorado.  I'm a Vol Firefighter and Search and Rescue team member so I wanted a vehicle I could use for SAR.

Its a 4X4, has a 454 engine w/ oil cooling system and larger radiator, Alison tranny w/ transmission cooling system, and a heavy duty but soft ride suspension system. Lots of side boxes on the outside and compartments inside for gear and stuff.

index.php/fa/8744/0/
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

Mike Butler (media)

• http://www.mikebutlermedia.com
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2007, 07:17:35 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Sun, 15 April 2007 16:13

I've got the "working man's A4", a 2003 Volkswagen Passat with the 1.8T 4 banger, 5 speed manual, front wheel drive. Giving it the test today, so far the traction control and my Nokian Hakkapeliittas have been able to take the winter weather, but this slushy ice crap seems to have everyone off the road.

I love the car, but the newer model year Passats just ain't the same thing, so I'm going Audi for the next one. S4 with Quattro if I can swing it.

Ah yes, but will it still have room to haul your B system?

I shouldn't talk, the only "B" system my Vette can haul would the the Bose pogo sticks.  Confused
<a href="http://www.mikebutlermedia.com" target="_blank">http://www.mikebutlermedia.com</a>

Mike Butler Media * AV/video production * corporate event production * presentation services * marketing support * creative research * graphic design * photography

Caleb Dick

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2007, 07:21:40 PM »

Andy Peters wrote

"Scary" is the idea that the Standard Moron should be behind the wheel of any vehicle more powerful than a Toyota Corolla.

Anyways, I don't think I'd want to drive something that delivers 400 HP to the front wheels. Can you say "torque steer?" Can you say "broken wrist?" I knew you could.

I did add in the 'ignoring practicality' part, as being practical would have spoiled the fun.  Yes I agree torque steer is bad, and that for the most part Joe Public doesn't have the brains/expertise to match his speed desire.  

Ignoring FWD for a moment, I have RWD, and prefer AWD, which cater to high HP a bit better, as you well know.  

Let's not talk about snow... especially in OR, where 99% of the residents think it's like driving in rain.  I'll take a nice, wimpy, AWD Subaru for that, and my years of driving on the white stuff in SK and MN.

Caleb
Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Vladimir Angelovski

• http://www.protone-audio.com
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2007, 07:45:48 PM »

Just got my '89 Opel Kadett stolen two weeks ago!  Mad  Mad  Mad

I ended up buying '92 Renault Espace mini-van. Great as a family car and it can pack a lots of gear with seats removed. I Love it!
Vladimir Angelovski
ProTone Audio

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2007, 07:47:27 PM »

I actually like the look of the newer mustang sheet metal and if Caroll Shelby actually laid on hands, the new shelby mustang might actually handle. I know he did wonders for the handling of the old mustangs wearing his badge.

As I get a little older, I am losing my tolerance for the mustang finish work. Mainly a kids car so cheap interior, lousy road noise, etc. More than that, having stuck one car into a guard rail while "almost" back under control after hydroplaning, I am very interested in taking advantage of latest counter measures. I feel like I did all that was humanly possible in my failure to alter the ballistic trajectory fast enough, but if I could have applied just one or maybe even both rear wheel brakes only allowing me to brake steer, that ride might still be in my driveway....  RIP.  I recall the old auto-cross trick with the FWD mini's where you'd use the parking brake to lock up the rears and swing the tail around curves quicker.

I've already gone through my mid life crisis, second childhood and am well into my second adolescence. It's academic at this point since my capital is tied up in junk like circuit boards, and extrusions, but maybe in a few years... Confused Until then I'll just put-put around in my '97 cobrastang

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2007, 08:10:25 PM »

Mike,

I can only hope that by the time I can afford to replace this car with the Audi I want, I will also not be shoving demo PAs into my cars any more. A few small speakers I can understand, but this full rig business has got to stop!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Eric Wong!

« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 09:35:31 PM »

Good lord, all these mustang owners in here  Twisted Evil   anyway I've only had 3 cars in my lifetime:
first car 1990 toyota camry, hand me down
second car 1997 nissan maxima, blew the tranny too many times from drag racing Laughing  
current car 1998 corvette
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 22 queries.