ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey VSX 26 vs. Behringer DCX2496 vs. DR260  (Read 41001 times)

Cory 'Rooster' McKinnon

Re: Peavey VSX 26 vs. Behringer DCX2496 vs. DR260
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2007, 06:29:40 PM »

Donnie Evans wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 14:53

Does anybody have any experience with the Behringer DEQ 2496?  Is it comparable to these?  I know it doesn't offer a crossover or multi-outs like a "speaker management" processor, but are they decent?

The new ones actually aren't bad. I have installed quited a few of these, but it certainly wouldn't be my first choice for live use.  

It is quite easy to use and setup.  It offers long delay, dynamics, and 10FBD filters (up to 5 can be used for user defined parametric).  It's not noisy and the EQ response is good (you can actually hear a 3db cut).  Surprisingly, the AutoEQ works really well.  We took a pair of SRM450s in the shop one day and tweaked them using Smaart and the DEQ (probably the best I've heard those sound, which isn't saying much though).  We saved the preset and reset everything back to default.  We plugged the RTA mic into the back of the DEQ and went through the auto setup and auto EQ process.  The DEQ had boosted more in the highs and there was a little difference in the low mid curve, but other than that the EQ curves were almost identical.  We were all rather surprised at the results.  But again, this would still not be in my top 5 for live use.

-Back on topic-
I have used the DCX and DRPA and would pick the DCX.  The 260 is a great piece, but it's in a much higher price bracket.  For the money I think the DCX is a great value, but if you have the dough the 260 is a superior product (you pay for what you get).  The DCX is easy to use and setup from the front panel, and the control software is easy and pretty intuitive (should take about 5min to figure out).  I would recommend using the gui for initial setup because the parametrics are much easier to set.  The front panel display doesn't have enough resolution to display the graph very effectively.  Since the internal EQs are for box correction you shouldn't need an internal RTA anyway, since those settings shouldn't change.  I have presets for different speakers and configurations so it's just a matter of recalling the correct setup.  The differnce here might be that I don't use the DCX as my mains EQ.  I prefer to use a separate analog graphic for FOH and let the DSP handle all the system processing.

I didn't care for the DRPA because it didn't offer long delay and the graphic didn't seem very responsive.  I found myself having to cut filter much more than normal to get a similar response compared with other EQs.
----
"Words, like eyeglasses, blur everything that they do not make clear"
                                   Joseph Joubert

Kevin Ballard

Re: Peavey VSX 26 vs. Behringer DCX2496 vs. DR260
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2007, 04:23:10 AM »

Donnie,

I have the DEQ2496 running on a pair of passive 15 x 1" wedges. The DEQ is not quite as easy to use as a manuel graphic for those quick snatches during a deafening set, but My expirience is that having saved the auto eq for those boxes as a default and another couple of variations for "bright" or "smooth" tone edited by ear, I don't seem to have problems with mid set squeals and have headroom left for the small stages I do.

I also have a pair of DCX processors one of which runs FOH and one that runs another pair of wedges but this time in Bi-amp mode. Again the polarity checker and pink noise from the DCX sets up a reasonable starting place and although I had another graphic in line, I rarely used it and once it went unservicable, I found I didn't miss it so I fixed it and gave it to a DJ.

I always ensure I have plenty of setup time and ring out the monitors to my satisfaction. I do smaller venues under 350 heads and poxy stages. I do some of what you former colonials class as national acts (UK and european recording artists with a past). No drum fill type events and can't remember not being able to satisfy the artists who can work with 4 wix foldback. I mix foldback from FOH without active filters switched in, but have the processing in the amp racks. Shocked

So there are some weaknesses in the fast access, but other than ear splitting metal bands and perhaps hip hop which I don't do, I find them acceptable for my needs. I still use the old DEQ8024 as a FOH Graphic and it remains faultless, I prefer the bigger buttons on the 2U older unit too (it also had a good result in Binks GEQ test).

Strangely at street prices the DEQ is more expensive than the DCX here in the UK.

HTH
Kevin Ballard

Yes the Toilets are over there!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.