ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey VSX 26 vs. Behringer DCX2496 vs. DR260  (Read 40790 times)

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
Re: Peavey VSX 26 vs. Behringer DCX2496 vs. DR260
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2007, 03:26:29 PM »

Robert Fielder wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 12:19

Second - it has a 48Khz sampling rate. 96Khz and 192Khz are possible and fairly common - why just 48Khz? Arguments about if the difference could be heard are common, but I would suggest that in some situations that this unit will be used in, the difference might be heard. Besides, at that dollar figure, you should be getting bragging rights - and 48Khz max is apology time, not bragging rights.

The major benefit of running at 48 kHz as opposed to 96 kHz is that your processing requirements are greatly simplified.  For example, filters need more taps at the higher sampling frequency to implement the same response.  Thus, you can add more functionality as you've got more DSP horsepower available.

I would guess that the "benefit" of the higher sampling rate in a low-cost unit such as the Behringer literally gets lost in the noise.

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2007, 04:41:20 PM »

The difference isn't in the sample rate as it is with all the stuff you are doing with the signal. In the studio side of things you sample at 24/96 to get a super clean sample to really mess around with (compress/EQ/limit/etc) The more you mess with that signal the higher that sample rate helps you in the end.

CD Audio is only 14/44 but almost always down sampled from 24/96 to get the cleanest sound possible. Granted weak DACs could throw the behringer out right off the bat and the sample rate wouldn't matter, but i do think it would make a big difference if all others were equal.

It's like the small differences between 320KBPs mp3s & wavs (14/44).

Anyways what do you guys think about going Digital from CD-> Mixer -> Signal Processor. Is that better than sending the unit an analog signal? WHat do you think is more stable & would sound better?

-Josh Billings

John Ward

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2007, 06:46:07 PM »

One of my rental units signal flow is all digital - Tascam DM24 dig console w/ additional 16 ch. Presonus Digimax - Marantz dig CD input -  DEQ 2496 dig EQ - DCX 2496 dig processor. I'm pretty satisfied with all components and noise is non existant. I have a Monster Power 2500 power condition in the FOH rack and I noticed a marked difference over both a Furman and a ART in terms of trash on some power sources. Currently rented to a lyric opera for four performances and under these critical conditions everyone is very pleased. And they are hard to please. Decent all dig is the only way to go.

By the way - and stated many times before - I am very satisfied with the Behringer DCX2496. No problems whatsoever, enough processing for most of my applications and sounds great. A bunch in service for about two years.
"Suck It Up and Step Out. It's not the things you wish for or whine about that comes about. It's the things you passionately want in life that makes all the difference." Dr.Scott Knight

Steven Alves

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 08:02:14 PM »

I guess it comes down to buying an entry level Mercedes or a Fully Loaded Yugo.. Behringer has allot of great features at a very attractive price point. Still when it comes to riders or high end users, It is a Yugo..

Steve

Scott Waldy

• http://myweb.cableone.net/boisesound
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2007, 10:59:43 PM »

Quote:

Still when it comes to riders or high end users,It is a Yugo..

Hey, if it gets you from Point "A" to point "B".  Laughing

Scott W.

"Relax, We'll fix it in the mix....

"I think it takes alot more "SKILLS" to be a Dj than a Sound man." - J. Gop, 2007

Boise Sound Services

Caleb Dick

« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2007, 11:24:00 PM »

Scott Waldy wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 19:59

Hey, if it gets you from Point "A" to point "B".  Laughing

Caleb Dick
AVE
-----------------
Why waste time with second best

Experience is something you get just after you need it

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2007, 03:09:24 AM »

I've kinda been tought to hate behringer...but i got so many experienced and knowledgeable people saying nothing but great things about this unit it really makes you consider this unit as a real piece of gear.

-Josh Billings

Scott Waldy

• http://myweb.cableone.net/boisesound
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2007, 03:20:17 AM »

Like I mentioned earlier, I bought mine solely off of the recommendations of the folks on these forums. Up to that point I hadn't played with one let alone seen one (except pics on the web site). I have some experience with the DrPa because I own one. I figured it can't be any worse, besides I wanted to see what all the fuss was about (I got it for $230 at G.C.).  Plus, "if" didn't like it, I probably could off it on ebay.

Now that I have purchased one and have used it.  I like it.  Very Happy
Scott W.

"Relax, We'll fix it in the mix....

"I think it takes alot more "SKILLS" to be a Dj than a Sound man." - J. Gop, 2007

Boise Sound Services

Dave Rickard

« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2007, 05:07:19 AM »

Josh Billings wrote on Fri, 13 April 2007 14:41

CD Audio is only 14/44 but almost always down sampled from 24/96 to get the cleanest sound possible.

Close.  CD audio is 16 bit/44.1k
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont

Travis Watson

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2007, 05:24:11 AM »

The VSX26 is cheaper than the DRPA, MSRP for the DRPA is 749 the VSX is 559.00 The DRPA sells for 499.00 You can get a VSX for about 4 out the door. I have a DRPA and two of the VSX 26's plus a few analog X-overs. The VSX is more flexible with what ever you are doing with it, has more filters with a wider range and has more delay built in both in the front end and the back end.  The GUI should be completed soon and for now can be updated with a memory stick. I have a idea for a update that if Don or Peavey liked as well they could put it out as a update. Your kind of limited on the DRPA. The RTA on the DRPA sucks in my book, I never got anything out of it that I liked after waiting for what seems an eternity. The VSX is short and sweet and you can average as many times/positions as you'd like. I'm not ready to go throw my DRPA out or anything cause I can find a place for it somewhere. As for the Behringer unit, I have no comment good or bad.
Just trying to remember all the things I'll never know
Travis Watson
Laguna Sound
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.