ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Another LS9 question  (Read 4537 times)

George Gleason

Re: Another LS9 question
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 10:37:47 PM »

Thanks
I though I was going insane

I have had my ls9 about 10 hours now and I am sure I could get a show going on it except for the internal efx

The owners manual should shade stuff that one doesn't "need" to use the default set-up
such as mounting the efx and eq's
I spent a couple of hours  before I figured out this stuff was already done for me in the default set-up
Thanks
george

Tim Padrick

Re: Another LS9 question
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2007, 01:43:50 AM »

Dave Dermont wrote on Mon, 04 June 2007 10:14

Tim Padrick wrote on Fri, 01 June 2007 00:06

Take advantage of all those compressors.  Individual comps allow you to get the blend right.  When you comp them all together the loudest vocalist is the one that triggers the comp, which messes up the blend.

Hmmm...

The overall signal level is what triggers the comp, but the entire signal is attenuated by the compressor.

How does this "mess up the blend"?

It would seem to me that compression of individual vocal channels would be more prone to do this by squashing the louder vocals more.

I don't have much problem compressing the vocals as a group, but I usually use parallel compression for vocals.

I find that when mixing, listening really helps.

I did not state that rightly.  What I should have said was not that a group comp "messes up the blend", but that it cannot help to maintain the blend as individual comps would.

1) Four vocalists, all the same level as each other - perfect blend (in this instance).  The group compressor pulls down 6dB.  Perfect blend less loud.

2) Three of the vocalists are weak on the low notes, and one very strong.    Messed up blend.  The group compressor happens to pull down 6dB here as well.  Messed up blend less loud.

With individual comps, the loud guy's comp pulls him down more than the wimpy guys' comps pull them down.  The blend is much closer to what it should be.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.