ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Beta 87a vs Beta 87c  (Read 32682 times)

Will Drury

Shure Beta 87a vs Beta 87c
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:12:54 PM »

Hello,
Even after reading the Shure web site I am still not sure which of these two versions best meets my needs.  Here is a little info about how I would use them:
Live applications only, no recording
mostly male lead vocals
monitor wedges, not in ear
smaller stages (ie slightly crowded for full band)

Any input you have as to which one would be best suited for my application is appreciated.  Feel free to ask more questions if I haven't provided enough information.

Thanks

Bill Staley

Re: Shure Beta 87a vs Beta 87c
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:56:41 PM »

For wedges get the 87a.  For in ears get the 87c.  My singer has used both and bought the 87c because it was better with his in ears.

Dave Barnett

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 02:37:59 AM »

Bill Staley wrote on Mon, 26 March 2007 20:56

For wedges get the 87a.  For in ears get the 87c.  My singer has used both and bought the 87c because it was better with his in ears.

Gee, I like the C better for wedges too, less extreme high frequency "wispies" to control.

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 09:08:54 AM »

In general terms, the advice Bill Staley gives is correct. This does not mean the seemingly contradictory advice Dave Barnett gives is incorrect.

That's the way it is with vocal/mic/wedge combinations. The parameters of each variable can be pretty wide. Performance will vary with each situation.

I find the B87 to be kind of "hit or miss" with male vocals. Sometimes stellar, sometimes, um... "Less than stellar".

Good results seem to be much more consistent when used for female vocals.

...but that's just me
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Will Drury

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 11:42:39 AM »

Thanks for the responses.

Dave, if you find the beta 87 to be hit or miss with male vocals, do you have a recommendation for my needs?  I will be doing some contract sound so I need something that will be accepted by the artist.  Thanks for the quick input guys...

Jason Dermer

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 03:21:57 PM »

If you are contracting sound, I would start with 58s if you do not have them already, as they are the most commonly requested mic on riders (at all levels) and very rarely the "wrong" choice. If an act is specifically asking for an 87, they will likely request either the A or C, the one requested being the one that you do not have Sad
You could always subrent the 87s or another mic from a bigger shop if they are really needed and pass the cost on to the promoter/band/whoever. I would also look into the rest of my system before spending $250.00 or so each on vocal mics. Would you be better served spending the money on a decent 2 or 4 channel comp? Do you have good backline mics/DIs? Is your mixer up to par? Do you have a good multipinned I/O for faster more efficient setup and teardown, so on and so forth?

Myself, I own 4 87A's and 4 87C's. They come out only:
when specifically requested
when I have the time to try both and/or another mic to see what works

To throw another possible solution out there, if you are not specifically trying to meet riders but want to offer a vocal condensor, try the Audix VX5. It runs about the same price as the 87, does not have the 8k-10k harshness that I find the 87 has on many vocals, and has a tighter pattern than either 87 so it picks up less stage wash.

Last possibilty, and probably the best, is demoing/ renting each of the candidates to see what works for you.

Good luck.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

christian yrizarry

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:12:20 AM »

Hey thanks in advance for your time.  I have no idea how this forum works I just signed up after seeing your answer to another guy about the Beta 87A versus C... I was wondering if you had any advice on what mic might work good for someone like me.  I'm a singer in a five piece band.  I usually use a Beta 58 or recently have been using an AKG 880.  Although the latter mic is talked down upon by a lot of my colleagues I've found it to suit my needs better because I like the "balls" it has.  More lows in my opinion... I'd like to step up on a vocal mic for myself though, any recommendations besides the Beta 87?  And if so which is better A or C?  I play reggae... Lots of bass and drum Vocals must cut through though....  thanks again

Michael 'Bink' Knowles

• http://www.binkster.net/index.shtml
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 08:20:50 AM »

Keep using your 880. Don't worry about what others think... the only that matters is how it sounds with your voice.

-Bink
Michael 'Bink' Knowles
www.binkster.net

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 10:07:04 AM »

Will Drury wrote on Mon, 26 March 2007 20:12

Hello,
Even after reading the Shure web site I am still not sure which of these two versions best meets my needs.  Here is a little info about how I would use them:
Live applications only, no recording
mostly male lead vocals
monitor wedges, not in ear
smaller stages (ie slightly crowded for full band)

Any input you have as to which one would be best suited for my application is appreciated.  Feel free to ask more questions if I haven't provided enough information.

Thanks

For small stages I would use a SM58.
If I had to use a 87 I would choose the 87c for wedges.

I have wired 87c mostly and 2 87a wired
I have all 87a wireless.

I would rather have the 87a for people that hold the mic farther away.

As I said earlier if the stage is small definately go with a SM58
or stick with the AKG880 you already have

sincerely,
db

Christopher Simons

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »

Quote:

For small stages I would use a SM58.

sorry if this is a stupid question, but wouldn't a Beta 58 be a bit better with a smaller stage?

i'm actually wondering about them...cause we have a few SM58's but we're looking to buy a few more mics and we have a fairly small stage.  also, we make sure that everyone that sings keeps the mic up fairly close to their mouths.

so....Beta 58??

thanks..
Chris
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.