ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ? from an Indian church  (Read 2260 times)

jacob

? from an Indian church
« on: November 29, 2004, 02:34:20 am »

Hi everybody. I just bumped into this site and got stuck to it reading the wealth of info you guys dish out. I praise God for the blessings available.
I wonder if my question would be worth answering for some of you who are into high end sound. For those who are curious enough to read this please be warned that you may find my query very silly if not annoying. Well here it goes!

Team Background:-
We are a small English speaking, self supporting  church(bout 50-70 people)in Northern India. I lead worship with a team of 2 learning musicians and one vocalist to back me. One on the bass guitar (Indian make), one on keyboard [Yamaha PSR 510 - mainly used for chord back up and rhythm - DONT ANY DARE LAUGH -   Surprised  - got no choice - no drummer], one on seconds vocal and me on lead vocals and rhythm/lead guitar (Yamaha elec/acou). We meet in a small auditorium which is 50 ft by 40 ft - 15 ft high

Sound System

Our finances could afford a
> One 200 watt stereo amp (Indian make),
> A 9 channel stereo mixer (very basic - gain/bass/treble/ echo/pan),
> Couple of low end shure mics,
> Two 100 watt speakers (with one 12'' full range dual cone speaker with motorola...peizo horn - Imp:8Ω / freq:55-20000Hz / Crossover freq:- NIL / SPL 1W/1m: 97+2dB /Cabinet: W400x H520x D300 mm / wt: 14.5 kg each)

Worship

We practice in a basement on saturday for couple o hours. We set up this system, every sunday morning by 8.30 for a service which starts at 9.30. We usually sing, simple Praise/worship numbers from Matt Redman, Bob Fitts, Brian D, Hill songs, Vineyard, etc.

Question

We do not have/use monitors. I keep wondering where to place the main speakers. I usually try keeping them at the two far opposite ends so that they face the stage with the congregation having their backs towards the speakers. Also tilt the speakers pointing to the centre of the room. Of course, I need to keep the gain high for the worship team to be able to hear what we do. Think the folks get high volumes, speacially those at the back.
The bass guitar runs directly to the Amp (to get higher volume) while the mics, guitar and keyboard goes thr the mixer.

We absolutely know nothing about sound/acousitcs and cannot afford consultants. Trying everything by trial/error and attempting to mimick the sound combinations we hear on CD

Writing this, I realize a've not given much of a scenario for you guys to answer, but that's all I got. I really appreciate anyone who can tell me what are the steps/directions you'de take if you were in this situation. Even suggestions on other topics which would help the worship team are welcome. thanks in advance. <sjacob74@rediffmail.com>

Erwin Mol

Re: ? from an Indian church
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2004, 04:27:44 pm »

Hi Jacob,

Good to hear you're building Gods Kingdom in India, many blessings to you and your congregation.

1) Try placing your speakers in front of the church, this will make the sound sound clearer. Also place them just above (height wise) the people on the front row so they wont feel like they're getting blown away by the noise.

2) Do you have a bass-guitar amplifier? If so, use that one to amplify the bass-guitar. This will sound better then amplifying them thru the 12" speakers in a small

3) You could use the guitar as rhythm-section. Just let the piano play the melody.

In Christ,
Erwin

Tom Young

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 07:37:49 pm »

For a number of reasons your speaker placement is not correct. I feel that this subject is so large and complicated that it will take an inordinate amount of time and space to explain it here.

Please go to various manufacturer's websites and read their tutorials on live sound and/or specifically sound for HOW.

Try:
Peavey
Shure
Rane
JBL
EV

Also go to Church Production magazine and read through their back issues.  Some good articles exist there.

Buy a copy of Yamaha's guide to sound reinforcement book.

These should get you on the right track.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Brian Miller

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 12:09:31 pm »

Thanks so much for the work you do.

The best thing to do is to try every speaker placement you can think of. Get someone who isn't a band member to sit where the crowd does and listen to the options while the band plays.

1. Placing the mains beside the stage is best, over the heads of the front row.

2. If you don't have monitors, try placing the mains behind the band and over your heads. Feedback may defeat this idea but depending on your system gain this may solve most of your problems.

3. Geting the bass on it's oun amp/cab rig will help the mains amp handle the load better.

Lastly, please don't feel bad posting a humble system here. Useing what you have to serve God is more important than impressing people with the size of a budget. Besides, low tech combat sound rocks! Very Happy

Zach Brady

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 04:19:59 pm »

hi there its Zach

k my best advce would be shoot from abotu half way behing the stage so as to hit the crowd and yet u guys be able to hear some of what you are doing. and try depserately to get osme sort of monioring system,perhaps the keys listen to themselves on 1/4 inch headphones right out of the keyboard one one ear and hear the vocals through the system since he has the hardest time hearing out of all. maybe some combo of speker placement and headphones usage u might be abel to get something decent.
God bless and good luck,
Zach Brady

p.s. i didnt know they had the internet in india lol.cya!

jacob

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 01:39:53 am »

Hi there
Thanks for your msgs. Tom, Erwin, Brian and Zach, thanks for your words of encouragement and advice. Last sunday, I placed the speakers parallel to the stage (a little behind) and elevated. The sound was much better. Specially the team could hear itself, without making a lotta noise. Worship also was enjoyable. I will try keeping the speakers a little further into the congregation next time. I had also discussed with the Pastor that the bass guitar needs a dedicated amp/spkr. Guess what!! He told me that someone had promised a donation just the previous day for the audio. He has assured this will be used for the Bass amp/spkr. Whoa!! God is at work.

I am continuing to read the board and am confident of picking up a lot of stuff. I'm sure I can use it all in the days to come. Will keep ya all posted.
cheers
J

PS: Zach, yes we do have Inet. In fact I am getting a dedicated connection for my home PC today. Psst.... was reading this board in office the past few days  Very Happy

Zach Brady

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 11:56:11 am »

cool stuff jacob
we will be praying for ya,
Zach

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2004, 11:56:11 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.