ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Down

Author Topic: JTR Growler Subs  (Read 96034 times)

Steve Hurt

Re: JTR Growler Subs
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 03:40:34 PM »

Heard them.

Bought them.

Combat audio testing tomorrow night. (Saturday 4-7)

Thoughts shortly after!
(other than fresh Line-X coating has a fairly pungent odor!)

Josh Billings

• http://www.mindboxmedia.com/soundsystem
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2007, 05:32:53 AM »

I really wish i could heat these (so cal). I am running 2 LAB Subwoofers right now. I wonder what 4 of these would do compared to 2 LABs. Well 1 - Take up less space Smile

-Josh Billings

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »

Four Growlers will be on par with two labs for efficiency and have more power handling however they will not get quite as low due to the shorter path length.

Jeff

Rob Spence

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2007, 12:30:28 PM »

Hey Steve, how did it go? Got a review yet?
Rob Spence
Lynx Audio Services
E-Mail Rob -at- LynxAudioServices -dot- com

Staying out of trouble
  Is easier than
Getting out of trouble

Your local Whirlwind Dealer

Steve Hurt

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2007, 03:47:48 PM »

Combat audio night.  Stage volume was too much to combat and I didn't get a good sound.

Will be trying them again with different band different / different venue Saturday.

edit - removed unnecesary negative comment -

Steve Hurt

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2007, 11:56:04 PM »

I bought a pair of JTR Growler subs 10 days ago.  These are my initial reactions.

At the 1st gig I did with them, the band outpowered the room before I ever turned on the P.A.  It was a lost cause from the get go. To get a good mix I would have had to run at 110-115 db average at the board just to keep up with the stage din.  Since volume complaints started during sound check before I brought the P.A. up, I knew that wasn't going to happen!  

I did bring the subs up a couple time to see if they could do loud, and they did, but it really was a night of combat audio and getting a good mix was not in the cards.

Gig number 2.  Ran sound for an outdoor festival at a local university.  Two acts and music in between.  The second act was a rapper with background tracks that had lots of lows (surprisingly well recorded!)  I was able to dial in some serious T-H-U-M-P! with no problem.  

I got the volume I needed and the quality was there.  Good bass, not just loud bass.  I really could hear a serious difference in quality over my old speakers.  The Growlers did what I needed them to do and never worked up a sweat.  The full low end was a treat!

I also got the time to do an RTA and see what the Driverack thought of them outside. The Growlers response curve was much flatter across the bottom end than my old EV S-181's.  The Driverack also confirmed what my ears had told me: that at the same amp settings as I used to use, I was getting a more volume out of the Growlers than I got from my old subs.

Things I don't like: (I have no sound related complaints)
- No casters on them
- No pole sockets
- Line X coating smell takes about 2 weeks to dissipate
- The weigh 99 pounds.  This is probably light for some of you, but my old cab's were 20 pounds lighter so it's an adjustment for me (I'm a one man show)   However, I did consider subs that weighed as much as 135 pounds so 99 pounds isn't really that bad.

That's it!  They'll have casters and pole sockets shortly, the smell is almost gone, and I've learned to lift them so it's all good for me!  

What I like:

- Jeff is a nice guy - Awesome customer service.  

Jeff drove 3 hours one way just to let me hear them.  He did not know if I was going to buy them or not, when he promised to bring them by, and he didn't know me from Adam.  He has a good product that pretty much sold itself once he got here, but still, that's a long way on the hope of a sale.  I hope he succeeds, companies that do things like that are few and far between.

- Sound -

They sound good.  Full, even, real bass
And they get as loud as anything I've seen that's even close in size.  

I was talking to another guy and equated setting them up to  be "like dropping a big V-8 into a Pinto.  You're going to have traction problems till you learn to drive with that much more power"

Overall opinion:  Growlers rock!

Steve Hurt

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2007, 04:21:05 PM »

Just an update

Did a rock show last night and the Growlers definitely got louder than my EV S-181's would.  The subs sounded pretty good to me.  They still aren't thumping my chest like I want, but I don't think I've gotten everything they have to give out of them yet.

I think the Growlers want more power than I'm using (PLX 2402 bridged running the 2 - 8 ohm Growlers chained together to get a 4 ohm load) Also still tweaking the Driverack.  It's getting better, but there's still room for improvement.  Wish I had a SMAART system!

I installed 2 modifications to the Growlers.  Pole sockets, and Rubber feet.  (and bought adjustable speaker poles)

The adjustable poles - $30 ea, and pole sockets  - $8 ea, came from Mike Pyle at Audiopyle.  The rubber feet, I got a while back from Parts Express.

I need rubber feet to raise up the cabinet enough that my  2-wheel cart will slide under it without having to tilt the 100 lb cabinet.  (the less 100 lb lifts/tilts/shoves the better!)  Also, the rubber feet protect floors from being scratched by the speakers.

Having my EV tops on poles was awesome.  You could walk by them and not get your ears ripped off by the horns.  (My old subs had a down-firing woofer placed in a way that made a pole socket impossibile)

Other than having the feet/pole cup included, the other change I would make to the design is to install casters something like this:

https://www.tchweb.com/isroot/TCH2/images/casters/511-2295-detail.gif

They'd be easy to install if the Growlers handles weren't there there.  I think casters would be too close together if installed between the existing handles.  One solution would be to move the handle in during manufacture so there would be room for the casters towards the outside edges.

The features I mentioned are to make my life easier, and have nothing to do with the sound of the Growlers.  I think they sound good (and I'm also pretty sure they're capable or more than what I'm getting out of them)

I took some pics today.

Growlers w/EV tops on poles:

index.php/fa/8903/0/

Steve Hurt

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2007, 04:26:37 PM »

A pic showing the pole socket and the rubber feet

You can also see the handles in the pic (I didn't know the Growlers had handles until Jeff brought them down)

index.php/fa/8905/0/

Steve Hurt

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2007, 04:28:23 PM »

Front view showing the pole sockets extending down into the horn:

index.php/fa/8906/0/

Steve Hurt

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2007, 04:31:35 PM »

Core sample (from the pole socket hole)

Definitely void free plywood!
I count 13 plys
line-x coating

index.php/fa/8907/0/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 17   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 17 queries.