ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Are 'install amps ok for general audio & pa  (Read 2509 times)

Wayne_Smith

Are 'install amps ok for general audio & pa
« on: March 08, 2007, 11:35:12 PM »

I am considering the purchase of used Crown CT 400, CTs 600, or QSC CX6t and CX602V. Would these amps have appropriate fidelity for use in a small s/r rig or even music playback? . I've learned that the QSC's have output transformers and 45Hz filters which I presume might make them the less desirable of the bunch, but the bottom line is I don't know the ins and out of this kind of gear.

Thanks ahead of time.
Wayne Smith

Al Clayton

Re: Are 'install amps ok for general audio & pa
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 10:17:54 AM »

I have often used Crown CT/CTS series in S/R installs. From a sound/fidelity standpoint, it would be fine in a S/R rig. The only thing I would be concerned with, is that they really are not designed as a "touring" amp. Which would only come into play if you drop your amp rack off the back of a truck! The only other issue is the input and output connectors are Phoenix/barrier connectors, which are fine in the install world, but could be a failure point in a touring rig. A "touring" amp will typically have XLR or 1/4" inputs and Speakon outputs. I guess it all comes down to how much this thing is going to be moved around.

But if the price is right....

Beer is proof that God Loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin

Horray Beer!

Brad Weber

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 10:24:42 AM »

Manuals and brochures for all these models are available on the manufacturer's web sites, that's probably a good place to start.

If you look closely at the amps and the specifications you might find that these "install" amps very closely resemble some of the manufacturer's other models.  Sometimes it is simple things like the connectors, controls and some specific features that really differentiate these models from some others.

The CT400 is a great amp and I have used them in a number of PA and music systems.  This is a good example of where you might note a lot of similarities between the Crown CT, MT and CSL series amps.

In the case of the CX602V and CX6t, the "V" and "t" suffixes indicate that these are versions intended for high impedance/70V type applications.  They will drive direct 8 ohm and maybe even 4 ohm loads, but they are really intended to be used with high impedance loads.  The CX602 and CX6 would be the equivalent lower impedance versions that would probably be more appropriate for PA and portable sound reinforcement use.

The 45Hz filter may not be that much of an issue as at least on the CX602V there are dip switches on the rear panel to set it and it can be set to be off.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Wayne_Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 07:35:55 PM »

Thank you all. That's the info and help I was needing!

Cheers.
Wayne Smith
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 22 queries.