ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aphex dominatorII problems..  (Read 1549 times)

Ted Olausson

Aphex dominatorII problems..
« on: March 06, 2007, 11:09:09 AM »

I have one of those and it doesnt matter how i adjust the frontknobs, it will pump heavily regardless of level, and the frequencyresponse is also wicked.
I opened it and saw that there were several adjustments inside so i suppose those are totally screwed.

How do i adjust it to be useable again?
(Or is this a sign of a known componentfault?)

(I am also wondering about that popular DIY upgrade and exactly what is done in that? I'm very experienced with soldering so dont go there...)

Tim McCulloch

Re: Aphex dominatorII problems..
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 06:21:26 PM »

Hi Ted-

I have not had this problem with my Dominator IIs, but since they are still in production perhaps an email to Aphex would be in order?

That is doesn't respond to *any* control changes is the telling issue.  I just don't know what it's telling us Wink

Good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Ted Olausson

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 08:30:14 PM »

Tim McCulloch wrote on Wed, 07 March 2007 00:21

Hi Ted-

I have not had this problem with my Dominator IIs, but since they are still in production perhaps an email to Aphex would be in order?

That is doesn't respond to *any* control changes is the telling issue.  I just don't know what it's telling us Wink

Good luck.

Tim Mc

Hi Tim,

I have emailed aphex, but i dont know if they will answer it...

The unit does respond to changes but there are just no way to get rid of the heavy pumping, the controls will just change how much it pumps between "completely mad" and "very annoying".

The freqresponse is also wicked which got me to suspect that some kid have been inside adjusting stuff that they dont know what it is for, or maybe something has broken so the VCAs has too much controlvoltage applied to them.

-I got it used as a payment for a small job, and it was just like that for the former owner too, and he got it very cheap from soeone else.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 10:22:16 PM »

I think you will hear from Aphex eventually.

I'll pull a Dominator from the rack tomorrow and see if I can duplicate your symptoms.

Somewhere (on the back?) is a -10dB/0dB level switch.  Could it be stuck in the -10dB position?

Is there actual evidence of internal tampering, like broken torque paint or marred controls?  I'm not sure what the relative costs are in your part of the world, but it might be cheaper to find a replacement on eBay than to ship it off for repairs.  Hard to say from here...

Good luck, Ted.  Keep us posted.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

Ted Olausson

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 04:28:28 AM »

I also hope that aphex will answer, it would be nice to get the servicemanual.

But i got a private message from someone on the forum who had  similar problems in the past.
And he mentioned that when the vcasockets and the trimpots gets oxidized, it will behave like that.I will try his suggestions when i get to the shop later today but it seems very possible.

Ted Olausson

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »

No answer from aphex yet and i am afraid i wont get any either...

I managed to get one channel in "more or less" workingorder by wiggling the connectors (It still distorts when the vcas are working) but the other channel still pumps heavily.
But the unit has definately been tampered with, all the trimpots are massacred and needs to be replaced but there seems to be too many faults on it right now, so i think it will go back on the shelf again until next time.

Thanks for all your help!! Smile
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.